• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Neighbor arrested for open carry in his yard

ar10builder

imported post

Hello all:

New to the forum - found this site after doing a bit of research in light of yesterday's events.

I'm new to the neighborhood (just moved in with my fiancee), and saw (3) police down the block yesterday. Not wanting to be the nosey neighbor, I stayed out of the way, but later found out that one of the neighbors was arrested for open carrying in his fenced (wooden slat) yard. Apparently he was planting trees, the police received some sort of complaint, and they came over. I do know that a third squad appeared after some time (there were (2) squads initially) before all of the police disappeared (with the neighbor).

Anyway, I apologize for not having more details, but will collect more information as I can and post it here, just for your information.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

I pray that you inform your neighbor of our existence and willingness to offer some advice based on collective experience. We also advise retention of an attorney and some closed-mouthedness until the attorney allows otherwise.

If you and he will read a bit here and of Wisconsin statute law then y'all will see that there is likely a cause of action against some West Allis officials.

Our best wishes to your neighbor and to you.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

There has got to be another side to this story, otherwise the police are going to increase someones income by a considerable sum in the coming months.

Were the trees he was planting an invasive species? Was he bearing more than arms?

What else is going on here?

pkbites

imported post

How about giving us your neighbors name so we can track the case.
If he was arrested, the case and his name are public information anyway.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bet there is more to this than merely OC of a firearm in his own yard.

It looks like westallisnow.com prints police reports weekly. The last one was 8/20. This incident could be up on 8/27.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

To: mmaley@cninewsonline.com
Subject: West Allis news comments, tips and questions

A correspondent reported a police action on 22 August 2008 in West Allis in which a resident was

"arrested for open[ly] carrying [a firearm] in his fenced (wooden slat) yard. Apparently he was planting trees, the police received some sort of complaint, and they came over. I do know that a third squad appeared after some time (there were (2) squads initially) before all of the police disappeared (with the neighbor)."

I hope that you will post the details so that we can know that this was not another example of an overzealous police department's overreaction to a legally armed citizen.

Thank you.

Doug Huffman
State Researcher,
OpenCarry.org
Washington Island
Wisconsin

ps. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15318&forum_id=57&jump_to=250361#p250361

1FASTC4

imported post

I would like to look up the record, what department has it? I am curious as to what happened and do not want to jump to any conclusions

Brigdh

imported post

lockman wrote:
There has got to be another side to this story, otherwise the police are going to increase someones income by a considerable sum in the coming months.

Were the trees he was planting an invasive species? Was he bearing more than arms?

What else is going on here?
probably the West Allis PD taking cues from their neighbors in Milwaukee

pkbites

imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
I would like to look up the record, what department has it? I am curious as to what happened and do not want to jump to any conclusions

If the person is charged with a state crime, the case can be looked up on CCAP IF you have a name.

If the person is charged with a local ordinance violation then you can check with the West Allis municipal court. Once again, you will need a name. Very few municipal courts are on the web.

Disorderly Conduct (the most common charge in O.C. cases) can be charged as a state crime or a local muni cite.

ilbob is right about checking the police posting. That usually doesn't give a name or full details though.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch.xsl;jsessionid=412526D2E5D5D9E70BD2D23EAE51B96F.render5

ar10builder

imported post

Due to the sensitive nature of this, I have been asked not to make any further comment on this. The person is aware of this site and of this thread.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

CCAP also allows one to do an advanced search that doesn't require a name. However if this gentleman is subjected to the same hesitation by the DA as in Parabellum's case, nothing will appear on CCAP for a long long time, if ever.

Nobody will be convicted of a crime based upon what others write on a web forum regarding it. It would be interesting to know whether the single issue surrounding this "arrest" is mere open carry on one's own property.

1FASTC4

imported post

Well that's the conclusion I'm trying not to jump to as well. I find it somewhat doubtful that the guy was arrested for carrying on his own property. It seems like some information is missing.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Any more info on this? I still own a house in West Allis and am very curious (in general) if someone was arrested for OC'ing in their own yard.

I would think that I should be able to call the PD and ask shouldn't I?

If I said "I'm a property owner in West Allis and I heard that someone was arrested for OC'ing in their own yard." "Without discussing the specifics of the case am I as a homeowner at risk of arrest lawfully OC'ing on my own property in West Allis"

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Police reports are subject to the Open Records Law, even to http://www.wisfoic.org/faq_police.html

Wisconsin Freedom of Information Council Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I make an open records request for police records, such as daily arrest records or records involving an investigation? What about a district attorney's investigative files?

A: Police records are presumed public and, like all records, their release is subject to the common law balancing test.

In many cases, the police department withholds records claiming their release may interfere with an ongoing investigation. See Wis. Op. Att'y Gen. 42 (1988) (OAG 7-88).

The Wisconsin Supreme Court, however, has held that, at a minimum, daily arrest records are open to the public. Newspapers, Inc. v. Breier[/url], 89 Wis. 2d 417, 428-29, 279 N.W.2d 179 (1979).

The court opined that "[t]he requirement that arrest books be open to the public is to prevent any 'secret arrests,' a concept odious to a democratic society." Id.

But, in State ex rel. Richards v. Foust[/url], 165 Wis. 2d 429, 433-34, 477 N.W.2d 608 (1991) the court held that district attorney files are not subject to public access, even after the trial and all appeals have been concluded.

Disclaimer: The Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on the Wisconsin FOIC website are provided by Godfrey & Kahn, S.C. (LaFollette Godfrey & Kahn is the Madison office of Godfrey & Kahn, S.C.).

mvpel

imported post

I bet there is more to this than merely OC of a firearm in his own yard.
Why, given the behaviour of police officers all over the country with respect to openly carried firearms, would you make a bet with such long, long odds stacked against you?

A man in Manchester NH was accosted in his own yard by three cops for open carry less than three weeks ago.