Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT HAPPENED TO ME!!

Post imported post

Hollo, everyone, I am back from a trip 'round the world, so to speak, and I am posting to tell a story. I made a mistake, and ended up with a bullet through my right calf, and unimaginable heckling from friends and family. I was at an indoor gunrange in Kent, WA, practicing for my upcoming qualification course. I had brought my wife along and her guns, a single action revolver and a lever action rifle, both .22 caliber. As I went through my paces with a Glock 23, I decided to have a little fun with the revolver. I had a missfire, and instead of following good gun safety, I recycled the cylinder in an attempt to try and fire the misbehaving bullet. I had placed the cylinder in what I thought was the chamber before the missfired bullet. I was sending the target back out to the 10 yard line, and pointing the weapon downward I realeased the hammer from the half-cock position. The bullet fired this time, and much to my dismay, it struck my leg, through and through. Yep, it hurt like hell, but the real pain came to my pride. I have been a handgun instructor, and safety officer for years. I have been shooting since my early years and thought I had a great respect for guns. I now know different. I am posting this as a reminder of proper procedure and safety when handling firearms. I am ready for the jeers and name-calling that is sure to follow, but hopefully, at least one of you will take this story and learn from it. I have no lasting effects from the wound, as a matter of fact I was at work the next day, so I am thankful for that at least. I know it could have been much worse. One second of not being aware of my muzzle and here I am, humiliating myself on a forum. But through it all, I am still carrying, and still shooting, just a ittle more carefully.

Post imported post

Thanks for the reminder, Ryan.

The fact that you have such qualifications and yet, still made such a mistake is a good point. It doesn't matter who you are or what your previous experience is; if you are unsafe with a gun, it can end in injury or tragedy.

I'm very glad that it was a serious injury; easily could have been if it had hit bone.

*raises a diet Coke¬ģ* Here's to the Four Rules!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Ouch, Get well soon!
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

Hope you get better soon, dude.

I'm going to use this story next time my rather unsafe friend calls me grandpa for calling him out on his lack of safety.

Post imported post

thewise1 wrote:
    Hope you get better soon, dude.

I'm going to use this story next time my rather unsafe friend calls me grandpa for calling him out on his lack of safety.
    That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Glad to know that it may benefit someone, as I believe this can be a lesson and a joke... "guy walks into a gunrange with his wife, a single six, and a duck..."

Post imported post

That is a hard saftey lesson to learn and will certainly be taken to heart.I am very pleased that after all is said and done that you are pretty much none the worse for wear.I won,t poke fun of the incident ,but keep it in mind every time I am on the range.Thanks for telling us,maybe it will remind us all saftey always.Were you at Champion? bookman and I shoot there all the time.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

An ND could happen to anyone if we become complacent with firearms. At some point we all need to just sit back and think about thepotential hazard firearms process and re-certify ourselves in proper handling of firearmsso to speak.

This sure i s a wakeup call for you huh?

Post imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

This sure i s a wakeup call for you huh?

Sure is.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have alsobeen there, done that, got the T-Shirt, but it wasmalfunctioning weapon. It sure did make me reevaluate where I point my guns. (no one got shot in my case) but after reading your post I will have to make sure i staycareful. thanks for helping us open our eyes again.

Good you are ok. I hope to see you some time a OCmeeting.

Post imported post

Glad to hear it! Hope it helps!

Post imported post

Ryan,

As a newbie who has just started working with guns in the past months, I want to give you resounding applause for posting your story. It almost makes me teary that someone would go so far out of his way to expose himself to potential ridicule, in an online forum especially where people are often heartless, all the point of teaching others easy what he learned the hard way.

Thanks for sharing.

Post imported post

Accidental dischargeshappen a lot more often than one might think, I have seen several in and out of the range. I once seen a 9mm AR 15 go full auto at the range(defective), he lost control and shot directly into the steel partition separating us. Then he tried to hand it to his 10 year old son.(I confinscated the AR)Then theres the time my friend almost blew my toes off while cocking his single action pistol.

Thanks for owning up and the safety tip.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
    Guy I knew also thought he knew more than Ruger withthe Ruger safety on a D cocker model of the P89(or simular P model)....hole through apartment floor...luckely no one was injured.

Sounds like a guy I know who once was playing with a D cocker in the house. saying " it's ok i will not go off"

Post imported post

Its good of you to post this! A definite reminder to me to always be alert. I'm in the beginning stages of shooting (A couple months), but my biggest fear is becoming complacent once and injuring myself or someone else. I'll definitely file this story away! b(o.-)d (Thatstwothumbs up)!

Post imported post

Since everyone else is confessing, let's not forget the danger of ricochet from steel targets. Did you know a .308 slug can bounce straight back from a piece of steel with enough velocity to do you in? I didn't, but now I'm wearing one next to my femoral artery that says they can. And yes, it seriously hurt. Didn't change my views on guns but sure did change my views on steel targets.

Since that happened, I've been meeting all kinds of people who've shot themselves. One guy who tossed a .22 derringer on his nightstand, it went off and hit his abdomen and ended up in his back, deflating a lung on the way. Another guy who shot an AK at a rock pit, a slug bounced off two or three boulders and imbedded in his abdomen. And a guy I worked with who put a .22 round through his ankle and took out a few nerves on the way. It's a fact of life, guns are dangerous and there's not much to be gained by sugar-coating it.

Post imported post

kschmadeka wrote:
    Did you know a .308 slug can bounce straight back from a piece of steel with enough velocity to do you in?
    Let's not forget this attention-getter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSRfJ8WgwQ

Post imported post

Do regular slide-action pistols have this problem too, or are we mostly talking about revolvers? Going off randomly, that is.

Post imported post

With my 5.7, if I don't have my safety on and have 1 in the chamber, I can't imagine that its hard to have an ND. The trigger pull is fairly short, compared to some other pistols.

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    Do regular slide-action pistols have this problem too, or are we mostly talking about revolvers? Going off randomly, that is.

No pistols or revolvers go off randomly.

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    Here's the thing. This was not a problem with the gun, it was a problem with the shooter, namely myself. I was not paying attention to what I was doing. When I cycled the cylinder, I assumed the unspent round was ready in the chamber just to the left of the barrel and not in the actual firing position. The pistol was at half-cock, which is actually a safety in and of itslef, allowing you to carry one "in the hole" if you don't have a trigger actuated hammer block safety. Instead of maintaining pressure on the hammer when I released it, I assumed it was clear and I also assumed that a hammer drop from half-cock wouldn't allow the hammer block to be disengaged. I was (nearly) dead wrong. Autos can be fired in this manner, but it all depends on the safeties in place, and murphys law. If an auto is half-cocked, and the hammer can be dropped from that position, (alot of autos require the hammer be pulled all the way back before being released just to prevent this kind of incident) and the block safety is disengaged, then yes, autos can have this type of incident. The safest and most practical way to prevent this is to use a decocker, or ensure your chamber is clear before dropping the hammer. In the case of revolvers, and this particular case, just because you have a missfire, always assume the round is still live, and follow proper procedure, unload the bullet and dispose of it. Something caused that bullet to not fire, and trying again could cause more problems than anything. Also, never assume you know where that bullet is in the cylinder, it's like playing russian roulette. I have learned my lesson on assuming anything.

Post imported post

bcp wrote:
    xiphoris wrote:

Randomly in the sense that the trigger hasn't been squeezed. Guns can malfunction and such a malfunction would be random.

When reading firearm accident reports online, in at least some cases it seems that the firing mechanisms have engaged without someone pulling the trigger. That's what I mean to ask about ... how likely it is that a weapon can malfunction so as to fire without the trigger being activated.

Post imported post

John Hardin wrote:
    Let's not forget this attention-getter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSRfJ8WgwQ
    Seen that. Boy did it bring back memories...

Post imported post

xiphoris wrote:
    bcp wrote:
    xiphoris wrote:

Randomly in the sense that the trigger hasn't been squeezed. Guns can malfunction and such a malfunction would be random.

When reading firearm accident reports online, in at least some cases it seems that the firing mechanisms have engaged without someone pulling the trigger. That's what I mean to ask about ... how likely it is that a weapon can malfunction so as to fire without the trigger being activated.
    The number of guns that are actually broken and go off by themselves is so small as to be in the neighborhood of less than .0000000000001%. People are always blaming the firearm for the stupid act of finger on the trigger when it shouldn't be.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I try not to be too judgemental because things can and do happen. I do a lot of shotgun (trap) shooting and it is not that uncommon for a gun to malfunction. They may fire as a shell is loaded into the breach, they may double fire both barrels or they might chain fire, they might even fire as the gun is closed. Then of course there are the ones that fail to fire at all.It issafe gun handling including keeping the gun pointed down range that keeps people from getting hurt.

When you think your gun can't malfunction it will. What results could be determined by how well you followed all of the safety rules. The one you ignore or forget is the one that burns you and then, intentional or not, it is your fault.

I have seen wads from a previous shot stick in the barrel and the nextround blows up the gun. And yes you should check your barrel after every shot but WTF who does that? So look at each situation to see what happened and react accordingly.

Post imported post

Is it possible for the hammer to catch on something and cause the gun to go off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast