• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IT HAPPENED TO ME!!

flyin_ryan

imported post

Hollo, everyone, I am back from a trip 'round the world, so to speak, and I am posting to tell a story. I made a mistake, and ended up with a bullet through my right calf, and unimaginable heckling from friends and family. I was at an indoor gunrange in Kent, WA, practicing for my upcoming qualification course. I had brought my wife along and her guns, a single action revolver and a lever action rifle, both .22 caliber. As I went through my paces with a Glock 23, I decided to have a little fun with the revolver. I had a missfire, and instead of following good gun safety, I recycled the cylinder in an attempt to try and fire the misbehaving bullet. I had placed the cylinder in what I thought was the chamber before the missfired bullet. I was sending the target back out to the 10 yard line, and pointing the weapon downward I realeased the hammer from the half-cock position. The bullet fired this time, and much to my dismay, it struck my leg, through and through. Yep, it hurt like hell, but the real pain came to my pride. I have been a handgun instructor, and safety officer for years. I have been shooting since my early years and thought I had a great respect for guns. I now know different. I am posting this as a reminder of proper procedure and safety when handling firearms. I am ready for the jeers and name-calling that is sure to follow, but hopefully, at least one of you will take this story and learn from it. I have no lasting effects from the wound, as a matter of fact I was at work the next day, so I am thankful for that at least. I know it could have been much worse. One second of not being aware of my muzzle and here I am, humiliating myself on a forum. But through it all, I am still carrying, and still shooting, just a ittle more carefully.

just_a_car

imported post

Thanks for the reminder, Ryan.

The fact that you have such qualifications and yet, still made such a mistake is a good point. It doesn't matter who you are or what your previous experience is; if you are unsafe with a gun, it can end in injury or tragedy.

I'm very glad that it was a serious injury; easily could have been if it had hit bone.

*raises a diet Coke®* Here's to the Four Rules!

thewise1

imported post

Hope you get better soon, dude.

I'm going to use this story next time my rather unsafe friend calls me grandpa for calling him out on his lack of safety.

flyin_ryan

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
Hope you get better soon, dude.

I'm going to use this story next time my rather unsafe friend calls me grandpa for calling him out on his lack of safety.
That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Glad to know that it may benefit someone, as I believe this can be a lesson and a joke... "guy walks into a gunrange with his wife, a single six, and a duck..."

DEROS72

imported post

That is a hard saftey lesson to learn and will certainly be taken to heart.I am very pleased that after all is said and done that you are pretty much none the worse for wear.I won,t poke fun of the incident ,but keep it in mind every time I am on the range.Thanks for telling us,maybe it will remind us all saftey always.Were you at Champion? bookman and I shoot there all the time.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

An ND could happen to anyone if we become complacent with firearms. At some point we all need to just sit back and think about thepotential hazard firearms process and re-certify ourselves in proper handling of firearmsso to speak.

This sure i s a wakeup call for you huh?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:DI have alsobeen there, done that, got the T-Shirt, but it wasmalfunctioning weapon. It sure did make me reevaluate where I point my guns. (no one got shot in my case) but after reading your post I will have to make sure i staycareful. thanks for helping us open our eyes again.

Good you are ok. I hope to see you some time a OCmeeting.

xiphoris

imported post

Ryan,

As a newbie who has just started working with guns in the past months, I want to give you resounding applause for posting your story. It almost makes me teary that someone would go so far out of his way to expose himself to potential ridicule, in an online forum especially where people are often heartless, all the point of teaching others easy what he learned the hard way.

Thanks for sharing.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Great example of why I am so OCD when it comes to firearms, even though I get ridiculed for acting so paranoid. There is no fool proof firearms, only foolish mistakes(foolish people doesn't apply here because they shouldn't have guns in the first place). I was raised around guns since I was born and only time a misfire happened to me was when I was about 10 and I had a crappy M14 and thought "I know what I am doing no need for a safety, it just jammed..." I even seen someone have a misfire with a Calico 22. Which is the 100 round drum pistol. It happened when puting the magazine on it...Guy I knew also thought he knew more than Ruger withthe Ruger safety on a D cocker model of the P89(or simular P model)....hole through apartment floor...luckely no one was injured.

As for being "humiliated" it can clearly happen to the best. Just thank god it wasn't a self defence round of a higher caliber. Thanks for the story, hopefully we can all learn from it :cool:.

Spaceman Spiff

imported post

Accidental dischargeshappen a lot more often than one might think, I have seen several in and out of the range. I once seen a 9mm AR 15 go full auto at the range(defective), he lost control and shot directly into the steel partition separating us. Then he tried to hand it to his 10 year old son.:banghead:(I confinscated the AR)Then theres the time my friend almost blew my toes off while cocking his single action pistol.

Thanks for owning up and the safety tip.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
Guy I knew also thought he knew more than Ruger withthe Ruger safety on a D cocker model of the P89(or simular P model)....hole through apartment floor...luckely no one was injured.
Sounds like a guy I know who once was playing with a D cocker in the house. saying " it's ok i will not go off"

madcapmag

imported post

Its good of you to post this! A definite reminder to me to always be alert. I'm in the beginning stages of shooting (A couple months), but my biggest fear is becoming complacent once and injuring myself or someone else. I'll definitely file this story away! b(o.-)d (Thatstwothumbs up)!

kschmadeka

imported post

Since everyone else is confessing, let's not forget the danger of ricochet from steel targets. Did you know a .308 slug can bounce straight back from a piece of steel with enough velocity to do you in? I didn't, but now I'm wearing one next to my femoral artery that says they can. And yes, it seriously hurt. Didn't change my views on guns but sure did change my views on steel targets.

Since that happened, I've been meeting all kinds of people who've shot themselves. One guy who tossed a .22 derringer on his nightstand, it went off and hit his abdomen and ended up in his back, deflating a lung on the way. Another guy who shot an AK at a rock pit, a slug bounced off two or three boulders and imbedded in his abdomen. And a guy I worked with who put a .22 round through his ankle and took out a few nerves on the way. It's a fact of life, guns are dangerous and there's not much to be gained by sugar-coating it.

xiphoris

imported post

Do regular slide-action pistols have this problem too, or are we mostly talking about revolvers? Going off randomly, that is.

madcapmag

imported post

With my 5.7, if I don't have my safety on and have 1 in the chamber, I can't imagine that its hard to have an ND. The trigger pull is fairly short, compared to some other pistols.

bcp

imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Do regular slide-action pistols have this problem too, or are we mostly talking about revolvers? Going off randomly, that is.

No pistols or revolvers go off randomly.