• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry when you drive in your car

Do you stage your gun in your car or keep it holstered

• I take it out of the holster only at night and bad areas that i may pass through.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If someone looks in my car from above as I drive they will be able to see my staged gun.

• If someone looks in my car from above as I drive they will not be able see my staged gun.

• Total voters

dogear6

imported post

The way my front seats are against the console, I carry my gun wedged between the seat and console on the passenger side (I usually drive in this car by myself), muzzle down. Even with a hard stop, it does not fly forward.

I do have to be careful though to go for the gun . . . and not the seatbelt. The second time I drove like that, I couldn't figure out why the gun wouldn't come out! :what: Turned on the lights to LOOK and realized it was right next to the seatbelt lock. So now I've practiced that a few times to make sure I grab the right thing when I want my gun in a hurry.

protector84

imported post

I usually keep mine holstered while in a car. I get in with it holstered and get out with it holstered so there is no reason to take it out of the holster while I am in the car. Additionally, it seems hazardous to have a loose gun just setting in the car especially if there are other passengers. Most threats are likely to occur when I am outside of the car such as in a store parking lot than while I am in the car driving.

REDNECK

imported post

I am left handed, so, when I carry on my hip, it's on my left hip or in my back. I like to keep my 357 mag on the seat covered up, or just under the seat, as an extra measure. Especially on long trips. Now keep in mind, I have a hard time concealing my 357, it's an 8" Dan Wesson. I had a cousin get confronted in a mall parking lot like that in San Antonio, and a big 357, made this guy re-think what he was doing.

REDNECK

imported post

I normally carry a Kel-Tec 9mm. It's accurate, compact, and I have not had any trouble out of this gun. Me and my wife both have shot a lot of ammo through this gun, and I got my cc permit with it. 124 grain Gold Dot is my choice for personal defense ammo in this, add 115 fmj's is what we target with.

JKTex

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Although I keep mine holstered, I'd rather have a good holster mount to keep it secure and close. It's keeping it out of plain view that makes it tougher, which is required in Texas.

The only time it comes out is if I need to run in somewhere I can't carry, then it goes in the console for quick, safe stops or locked in a cabled in lock box.

How did "what" we carry or what ammo we like work it's way into the poll? :lol:

Landpimp

imported post

as someone who was a victim of an attmptedcar jacking 20 years ago, I dont mess around anymore, I have a j frame on my steering colume on my DD, its not a carry gun.....its my car gun

373904530.jpg

bomber

imported post

i made a holster for mine that i velcro to the center console. its in easy reach but it is secure. i can reach it as easy as the gear shifter. when i have to leave it in the car, it is locked up in a case and the case is chained to my passenger seat

mahkagari

imported post

Landpimp wrote:
as someone who was a victim of an attmptedcar jacking 20 years ago, I dont mess around anymore, I have a j frame on my steering colume on my DD, its not a carry gun.....its my car gun
That's nice. How is it mounted? I have a non-retention holster clipped to the door panel, but that's my weak side. I've practiced cross drawing and notice I cross over my left arm quite a bit. I'm not comfortable with that. The seat isagainst the console, but that's not secure enough that I wouldn't be grappling for where it slipped if I needed it. I'm toying with riveting a piece of webbing to the console to attach a holster to.

Thoreau

imported post

This subject has started to pop into my mind more and more lately.

I usually have my gun in one of two places when I'm in my car. Either on my waistband in my OWB Serpa holster (or IWB in a CompTac Infidel), or it'll be unholstered and safety engaged in the center console (08 3 Series sedan... just BARELY fits, hehe.)

What method I go with usually just depends on how well my USP is fitting my flabby sides that day. I have also removed the IWB holster and put it (with gun in it) on the passenger seat at times.

Most recently I discovered that the IWB holster can be slid in between the center console and passenger seat and be very easily accessible (unlike virtually all of my other methods so far) so I've been doing that off and on as well whenever I don't have a passenger.

AbNo

imported post

Hmm, there's no "other" option on that poll. ;)

I take my Serpa off and put it on a buckled nylon strap around my front passenger's seat.

If I have a passenger, they get to hold it. :)

But I don't ever really OC anymore. :(

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
When you drive your car do you take you gun out of the holster and place it in a spot to have quick access to it?.... How do you carry when you driveyour car?
I just keep it in the holster. I have come to admit it's somewhat inconenient. But I feel the likelihood for needing aquick draw is so tiny that I'm not losing too too much.

I focus on situational awareness and striving to always have an out. The way I figure it, if I ever facea self-defense situation while I'm driving my car, the best weapon/escape toolI'll have will be the car.

Alwayspacking wrote:
I am thinking of making a rig to place my gun under my leg in a holster as I sit.
Here's one that might accomplish what you desire.

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/products-duty-gear/protech-8.html

hp-hobo

imported post

I live in an unenlightened state that doesn't allow open carry. If a handgun is kept inside a vehicle it either has to be carried concealed (for CWP holders only) or in a closed console or closed glove compartment. I would neverrecommend for anyone to carry in such a way that they are in violation of the law that makes everyone so very safe from violent crime and especially rogue gun owners.

That being said, if I was able to stage the firearm instead of keeping it concealed on my person, it'd be kept pushed down into the split between the seats (pickup with a split bench seat, primary vehicle)with just the grip exposed right next to my right knee. It travels everywhere like that and never shifts or gets out of my reach and is essentially invisible to other traffic, pedestrians, etc... I mean Ithink that's how it'd work if I was allowed to do it that way.

I can't wait to try it out in another state sometime. ;)

bomber

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
I live in an unenlightened state that doesn't allow open carry. If a handgun is kept inside a vehicle it either has to be carried concealed (for CWP holders only) or in a closed console or closed glove compartment. I would neverrecommend for anyone to carry in such a way that they are in violation of the law that makes everyone so very safe from violent crime and especially rogue gun owners.

That being said, if I was able to stage the firearm instead of keeping it concealed on my person, it'd be kept pushed down into the split between the seats (pickup with a split bench seat, primary vehicle)with just the grip exposed right next to my right knee. It travels everywhere like that and never shifts or gets out of my reach and is essentially invisible to other traffic, pedestrians, etc... I mean Ithink that's how it'd work if I was allowed to do it that way.

I can't wait to try it out in another state sometime. ;)

is that a C9 in your picture there?

sometime soon, i'll post a picture on how i carry my C9 in my car

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

protias wrote:
Unloaded and encased. :banghead: :cuss:
Yup, Same here,:banghead: and is thethe same for everyone who finds themselvesin WI that wants to stay legal.
My hard-case stays on the front passenger seat with 2 loaded magazine in it. (the XDm case is great for travel)

When I lived FL, I would usually keepmy revolverholstered in the small of my back with an IWB holster. I shoot best left handed so seatbelts are never a problem for drawing. And this tactic saved my bacon during an attempted carjacking back in the early 1990's.

Now when I visit FL, I keep a loaded pistol in my latched center console for easy access, and I am still staying legal because FL offers the option to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle as long as it is enclosed in something. No permits are needed for traveling with a loaded gun in FL, andthat optionis available to residents and non-residents alike.

I saw a real nice rig in a picture once, It was made for securely holding a pistol with an integrated accessory rail. It mounted to the lower part of the dashboard and kept the pistol readily accessible without needing to open or remove it from anything. Grab & go!