• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New from Fennville..rural Fennville

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

I'm near the Glenn exit, and moved out here in 1999. Looking forward to getting a CPL someday. I think the need is righteous. I look forward to info her on this site and others, as I have recently gotten back into shooting a pistol. I've shot since I was 8 years old, growing up on a ranch in NW Nebraska. Bought my first pistol, a Remington BP when I was 17. My cousin and I shot many rounds through our pistols, he had a Colt replica.

Next jump up was a Ruger Super Blackhawk when I was 18. Chambered in .44 mag, I handloaded and shot it for about a penny a shot. Used cast bullets, resized and would go though 500 to 1000 rounds a week. I got good enough to hit Jack Rabbits out to around 75 yards cosistently, and the longest was 128 yards on one occasion.

Shots tens of thousands (maybe more) of rounds through various Ruger .22 Autoloader pistols over the early years. What an accurate little pistol in 6" barrel. We would shoot beer caps out at 50 feet with those pistols.

When I was a Deputy in Nebraska, I started out carrying a S&W model 686, and then went to Ruger .45 DA pistol. Then, our department went to purchasing the firearms for the Deputies, and I was issued a Glock in 40 S&W. Got pretty good with it, but still liked the .45 better.

Now here in Michigan, after much water under the bridge. Shot may different pistols and revolver from .25 ACP all the way up to .45 LC with a variety inbetween. Only one I really didn't care for was a .38 Super I had, and a Stoger Luger .22 that I traded to Dick Cabela for a Ruger .22 back in the early 70's.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Welcome to OC. Lots of info here. Transporting a handgun is easier with a CPL, but yo don't need one to OC.

Now for the important stuff, what kind of wine are you making? I like dry reds. Perhaps an OC get together in your area and a little wine tasting, sans my firearm of course.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Venator wrote:
Welcome to OC. Lots of info here. Transporting a handgun is easier with a CPL, but yo don't need one to OC.

Now for the important stuff, what kind of wine are you making? I like dry reds. Perhaps an OC get together in your area and a little wine tasting, sans my firearm of course.

Come down anytime! Seriously!! Since I am the Assoc Winemaker, I get pretty much a bottle of whatever I want that they have currently bottled. I pass on a lot of bottling, which are 2-3 times per week. But, I have amassed quite a collection at the winery (personal) and a few here at home. The only difference is I just need to take my "stash" from the winery home. Bottled up a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon blend just Thursday... very nice. We also have bottled a Meritage (blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc) wines, all from Lake Michigan Shore appellation. There is also a nice Capriccio, Lake Shore Red, Lake Shore Ruby Red, and our own Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Franc. We put in 1400 new vines this spring of Merlot variety, and have an upcoming vineyard of Syrah.

More can be found at http://www.fennvalley.com about the wines and vineyard tours.

The winery is open 7 days a week, and there is also free tastings of wines that we make.

Open carry in Douglas or South Haven would be interesting. Fennville is such a small town, little place to wander around there. Does have a GREAT Mexican food restaurant, called Mi Casa. Authentic to a T.