• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

audio recorders

suntzu

imported post

Question: how many here use audio/video recorders while carrying, and what kind of recorders do you use--I am looking at possibilities for personal audio recording equipment and would like to compare what I am looking at to what others may use. I keep hearing the words "voice recorders voice recorders voice recorders"--I am curious as to how many people use them and what kind are used.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Hey suntzu, there is a pretty good discussion of them here. I will be getting one, and am still doing my research. As far as I understand (and IANAL) it is legal in TN to record any conversation as long as you have permission from one of the parties to the conversation. In other words as long as you consent to recording yourself, you can record any conversation that you are involved in, no notification required. You cannot record a conversation that you are not a party to without consent of any one of the parties or a warrant. (cite forthcoming - have to dig for the statute)

Respectfully,

Pol

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Yeah, I use Mitchies almost exclusively. Their search feature leaves a little bit to be desired, IMO. Of course, it might just be the 10% rule: You have to be at least 10% smarter than the equipment that you are trying to operate. (heh)

Pol

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Okay, I bought a recorder last night. Its an RCA RP5120A.

Pro's: 18 hr record time high quality / 104 hrs standard quality; USB connectivity, file management software (including edit / crop files), voice activated, date / time stamp, and its small - about the size of my mp3 player.

Con's: 2x AAA batteries, so no recharging the unit directly; no memory card slot.

Bought it at walmart for @ $30.00, plus another 20 in rechargable batteries and a charger. It's very light, fits comfortably in the pocket of a t-shirt without being too obvious. I can even plug in headphones and it will look like a music player to the casual eye. I can delete files directly on the player, so if I have it running while carrying and there are no incidents, I can just delete the whole days recording. Even had a 'bookmark' feature so you can mark where incidents occurred and cut off all theother stuff before / after the incident.Also, the microphone is on the top of the unit, so there is little 'pocket noise'. It alsohas alock switch so that once it's set to record on voice activate, you can lock the keys and continue on your merry way.

Still playing with the variable sensitivity for the voice activation, and I have no idea how long the batteries will last. All in all, it seems like it will do the job I have in mind.

Respectfully,

Pol

Edited to add info

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I have a little one I use. It is attached to a cord that hangs around my neck. It took some practice to remember to turn it on at first. I haven't had the opportunity to use it against anyone but my wife and kids so far.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I use an ICD-P620. I normally toss it in my pocket and have a mic clipped onto my belt between my phone pouch and extra mag.

I've put it in one of the mag holders for my shoulder holster if I'm using my shoulder holster... but it's a bit too light so I prefer to carry two mags to balance out the weight. My guess is the recorder would also fit in a single-stack mag pouch/holder.

Never come close to filling up the memory. Use highest quality recording. Lasts about 20 hours recording. I use rechargeable batteries (SANYO eneloop... so I can keep them in storage awhile, other batteries would possibly last longer than 20 hours).

Never do get to carry much when I'm in TN. Whenever I'm out it's almost always for eats and most likely the place serves alcohol. When travelling I just wait until I'm in GA to eat... You need to get your laws changed up there :X