• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BUSTED: The Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

Statesman

imported post

This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

--

This post was originally in response to the thread titled "Trouble at the fair".

IMHO, it's best NOT to argue with police officers. It generally just makes them angry, and they'll end up treating you in a way you'd prefer they didn't. Unfortunately, most LEOs don't appreciate citizens explaining their rights to them. More importantly, arguing with LEOs is irrelevant. I realize this is easier said than done.

I would assume most OC encounters with LEO are similar in nature, and follow a process that officers are taught. Remember this line:

1) "Officer, am I being detained, or am I free to go?"

I've learned this line can "generally" be used as a response to irrelevant questions like:

"Why you walkin' round here packin heat?"

, if you are approached by law enforcement. This question establishes whether or not you are being detained on the spot (you cannot leave), or if you are free to walk away. If you continue to talk to the officer after that question is answered "free to go", it is considered to be "casual conversation".

See "Busted - The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters", available on youtube, and on http://www.flexyourrights.org/busted for more information on police encounters.
Note that the video "BUSTED: The Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters" does not address OC in particular, but it does address how to appropriately handle an encounter, in several common scenarios (i.e. walking on the street (OC), in your home, or in a car when pulled over). Since it covers police encounters in general, I believe it also applies to encounters while OCing.

- Statesman

--

This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

Statesman

imported post

BUSTED Endorsements

"BUSTED provides effective instruction in how to benefit from basic constitutional rights. It deserves wide distribution."
Milton Friedman, Hoover Institute Fellow & Nobel Prize-winning economist

"Our constitutional rights are worth only the paper they are written on unless we understand and exercise them. BUSTED makes an important contribution toward transforming the Constitution's paper promises into real rights for real people."
Nadine Strossen, President, American Civil Liberties Union

"Most non-violent drug offenders would have avoided my courtroom if they had seen BUSTED."
Robert W. Sweet, New York City District Court Judge

"Chronic disregard for civil rights is tearing apart the fabric of America. Flex Your Rights has hit the nail on the head in this hard-hitting instructional video."
Mike Gray, Drug Crazy author and Chairman of Common Sense for Drug Policy

"As a journalist covering the war on drugs, I've often been surprised at how readily people consent to searches. By clearly explaining and vividly illustrating the dynamics of encounters with the police, BUSTED should help people keep their calm -- and their freedom."
Jacob Sullum, Reason magazine senior editor and author of Saying Yes: In
Defense of Drug Use

"BUSTED teaches that people have precious inherent rights under our Constitution and should never feel guilty when exercising these rights during police encounters."
Joseph D. McNamara, Retired police chief of San Jose, CA. Research Fellow, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University

"One of the tragedies of the Drug War is that it alienates otherwise law-abiding people from the police. BUSTED shows how drug users who often feel powerless when confronted by 'the law' can reclaim the power vested in them by the Constitution, which protects them much more than many people realize. BUSTED should be shown in all school drug education courses, since being arrested is the greatest harm from smoking marijuana that most users will ever experience."
Rick Doblin, Executive Director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

"BUSTED is the only video I know of that is providing clear and candid information about how to 'just say no' to intimidating police searches. Parents, teachers, and concerned citizens across the U.S. should use BUSTED to protect young people, who are often targeted by police, from the greatest harm of using marijuana -- arrest."
Robert Kampia, Executive Director, Marijuana Policy Project

"BUSTED is a concise, simple lesson in how citizens can give us lawyers a fighting chance."
Daniel Dodson, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Board Member

"Every police encounter carries the potential to ruin a life. BUSTED arms Americans with the information they need to minimize that risk. It should be required viewing in every school in America as part of a basic course in civics."
Roger Pilon, Director of the Cato Institute's Center for Constitutional Studies

"Until police are no longer ordered to wage a War on Drugs -- a policy that requires officers to constantly violate people's constitutional rights -- BUSTED is a film that should be viewed by everyone."
Jack A. Cole, Executive Director, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

"BUSTED contains important survival skills for millions of Americans. Seeing this film could make the difference between living a productive life or being saddled with a drug conviction and spending the rest of your life trying to overcome it. BUSTED should be shown in every high school in America!"
Nicolas Eyle, Executive Director, Reconsider: Forum on Drug Policy

"BUSTED deserves a wide audience. It reflects awareness of the need for citizens to exercise their rights and refuse 'voluntary' searches in the face of police power. Well done!"
Arnold S. Trebach, Ph. D. Professor Emeritus, American University, author, Heroin Solution and Legalize It?, founder and former Executive Director, Drug Policy Foundation.

"BUSTED is a particularly timely and powerful means of conveying increasingly important, often urgent, information."
Lester Grinspoon, MD, psychiatry professor, Harvard Medical School and author, Marihuana Reconsidered and Marijuana, the Forbidden Medicine

"Since the end of the Carter Administration the drug war has been undermining the basic rights of citizens in the name of the War on Drugs. This video will teach people to know and exercise their rights -- which are the first steps toward regaining lost rights. BUSTED is required viewing for all citizens."
Kevin Zeese, Executive Director, Common Sense for Drug Policy

"If enough people see BUSTED, it will alter the balance of power on America's streets forever."
Nora Callahan, Executive Director, November Coalition

"BUSTED delivers clear and concise legal information that viewers can use to successfully invoke their rights and protect themselves during police encounters."
Richard Glen Boire, author, Marijuana Law and counsel for the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics.

"Our Constitutional rights enshrine the moral values of the reverent founders of this great nation. Liberty is not just a word to be uttered vainly by today's politicians; it is a natural right. To appreciate our God-given gift of liberty, we all must exercise it. That's why my organization uses BUSTED as part of our social justice ministry. Consider flexing your rights as part of your spiritual practice."
Charles Thomas, Executive Director, Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative

possumboy

imported post

I've read Beat the Heat, several times.

I can speak to how much information it has. I have not seen BUSTED, but hopefully it is just as good.