• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citing to authority

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Please pardon my ignorance. But I could sure use some advice on how to search for federal, state, county, city or otherwise statutes, laws, ordinances or rules. I'm sometimes reluctant to post a comment for fear of someone challanging me to "cite please."

Yes, I have been under a rock that hasn't been disturbed since the dark ages. And I like my rotary phone. Just kidding. I'm trying to come up to speed. Many thanks. CHUCK.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I am not at all familiar with Texas State statute.

As an example of the places with which to be familiar, here is the SC State Statute web site

http://www.scstatehouse.net/cgi-bin/query.exe?first=FIRST&querytext=&category=Code

and Wisconsin's

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

in re Texas, I found

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/index.htm but have no more notion of how to use it than to charge ahead blindly.

I would be aware of the different types of law with which we deal, common law (in some jurisdictions the Napoleonic Code), black letter statute law and case law stare decisis; and of the different jurisdictions that may have relevant law, the Feds, the State, the County and the County's political subdivisions.

The frequency of the challenge to citation has diminished somewhat here.

Best wishes and welcome to one troubling to be a good researcher.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks Doug, I think I get the idea. Guess I was making it harder than it really had to be. CHARGE... bump :cool:.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sorry for the grammatically incorrect topic. I used the term as I found it under forum rules, basic rules # 7. Moderators, please feel free to make the correction.

In the twenty days I've been on this forum I've been called on a typographical error and a grammatical error. I don't believe I've had too much more response regarding the content of my fifty posts. I've read some posts here that are almost unintelligible and I notice a conspicuous silence regarding same. What gives?

By the way, one of my pet peeves is "nit picking."

At least I enjoyed the Justice Scalia interview.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cccook wrote:
Sorry for the grammatically incorrect topic. I used the term as I found it under forum rules, basic rules # 7. Moderators, please feel free to make the correction.

In the twenty days I've been on this forum I've been called on a typographical error and a grammatical error. I don't believe I've had too much more response regarding the content of my fifty posts. I've read some posts here that are almost unintelligible and I notice a conspicuous silence regarding same. What gives?

Point taken. :)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cccook wrote:

But you learned something. Correcting leads to correct.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
cccook wrote:
But you learned something. Correcting leads to correct.
If it makes any difference I was aware that the grammar was improper from the original post. I simply used the term as it is posted in the forum rules in the interest of continuity on the board. What I am learning is how easily a thread can be derailed.

If you'll notice, the purpose of this thread is so that I and others of limited web searching ability may add some tools to our tool kit. But thank you to all who feel the need to inform me that I am not the best writer on the board. Maybe we should start another thread to cover spelling, grammar, proper punctuation, diction, general writing skills and keyboarding.

This thread is about an old dog trying to learn ways to more efficiently surf the web and attach the appropriate information back on this forum.

If one truly is bothered by the afore mentioned grammatical error, then one would do well to take the matter up with the owners and/or the administrators of this web site so that they may address the issue. I, for one am not disturbed by others misstakes that do not effect the content of their statements or my understanding of their meaning.

Now, if anyone has HELPFUL suggestions, please I'm all ears. Otherwise this thread is serving no useful purpose beyond venting regarding the inconsequitial. :cuss:

Edited for spelling.