• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP Threatens Motorist

diveboy82

imported post

On my way home last night I was stopped by an officer and asked to provide Vehicle License and Registration. I informed the officer that I had a weapon next to my registration and asked him how he'd like to handle it. The officer asked if it was loaded and I confirmed it was. He was shocked to hear it was loaded with a round in the chamber. So here is the rub, the officer stated I it was illegal for me to carry with a round in the chamber.

Which one of us is miss informed? If there is a restriction please site a source.

I have no intention to disobey the law despite the fact guns don't protect anyone with out bullets.

Thank you.

BTW, look out for increase speeding patrols, someone must have lit a fire this week.

diveboy82

imported post

I have a current CPL. If only the officer had given me a ticket for the loaded weapon instead of the speeding I might get off the hook.

j2l3

imported post

In Wasington it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle without a CPL. That's the reason it matters either way. Witha CPL, you are within the law, without a CPL, you are not.

Also, what was the threat you mention in your post?

eta my question.

diveboy82

imported post

The officer stated I was illegally carrying a firearm and took the weapon away. I'd call that a threat to my rights. He did return the pistol but made no comment as to why.

j2l3

imported post

Might be a violation of your rights, but hardly a threat. He was wrong and that is probably why he returned the gun. Likely he made a call and found the correct information.

We have many, MANY transplants in our law enforcement agencies from other states. A lot of them try to impose the law where they used to work and not learn the law where they are now.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Did you get a ticket from this guy? Can you send it and send me a PM, I'll give you my email address and I'll take him to school once I find out who he is.

Bear 45/70

imported post

I have found that informing the officer that I have a Concealed Weapons Permit BEFORE telling him I have a gun tends to make things move along a lot smoother.
rolleyes.gif

MetalChris

imported post

diveboy82 wrote:
On my way home last night I was stopped by an officer and asked to provide Vehicle License and Registration. I informed the officer that I had a weapon next to my registration and asked him how he'd like to handle it. The officer asked if it was loaded and I confirmed it was. He was shocked to hear it was loaded with a round in the chamber. So here is the rub, the officer stated I it was illegal for me to carry with a round in the chamber.

Which one of us is miss informed? If there is a restriction please site a source.

I have no intention to disobey the law despite the fact guns don't protect anyone with out bullets.

Thank you.

BTW, look out for increase speeding patrols, someone must have lit a fire this week.
In what part of WA did this occur? I've got a buddy that's in the WSP...

jbone

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
He was wrong and that is probably why he returned the gun. Likely he made a call and found the correct information.
+1

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

diveboy82 wrote:
SNIP So here is the rub, the officer stated I it was illegal for me to carry with a round in the chamber.

He's wrong. Simple as that. And the fact that there was no enforcement action taken shows that either thetrooper 1) didn't know what the truth was when he stopped you and found out over the radio or phone to a supervisor DURING the stop prior to giving back your weapon, or 2) knew that it was legal and was just saying this to try to pursuade you to not carry a "loaded" weapon in your glove box, or whereever it was.

Either way, you got cited for the speed, the gun was given back w/out another word about it, and you get to write about it on a gun forum the next day. Sounds like a mis-informedtrooper to me, which is actually pretty rare. Most WSP that I've come across know their stuff when it comes to gun laws, (which is why we don't see many OC encounters with them in contrast to more local police jurisdictions).

American Rattlesnake

imported post

This is really strange to read about this morning! I was driving home from Seattle to Moscow, ID yesterday and got my first speeding ticket in my life...I actually don't speed habitually, but I also don't have cruise control and got a little careless after several hours on the road.

I wonder if the WSP had extra patrols out yesterday for a particular reason?

In any case, to keep this OC related, I was open carrying in a shoulder holster, so I let the officer know as he stopped behind my window. He asked for my permit in addition to DL, insurance, and registration. No problems whatsoever.

ETA: My experience took place about 10 miles west of Othello on HWY 26.