• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just took my safety course

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

and filled out the application. Will get it notarized on Monday. Since I live in Reston the Circuit court I would go to would be the Jennings building on Chain Bridge Road?

Thanks

richarcm

imported post

Hokie wrote:
and filled out the application. Will get it notarized on Monday. Since I live in Reston the Circuit court I would go to would be the Jennings building on Chain Bridge Road?

Thanks
Congrats! I took my class several weeks ago but have not had the time to make it over to the courthouse. I've got everything filled out and ready to go just need to make it over there.

Now I'm wondering...I've heard that if you do NOT sign the application and sign it in person at the courthouse you do NOT need to have it notorized. Is this correct? If that is correct I'll just wait to sign it when I get to the courthouse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hokie wrote:

Thanks
It appears that you are correct. I googled "Reston Circuit Court" and got this. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm
Additional information re local procedures shown - don't think any of them are extra-legal.

As clerk of courts are also always notaries and have notaries on their staff - many prefer to get a "wet" signature in their presence. A phone call would answer that question.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Do NOT sign the application until you are in the presence of the person who will be notarizing your signature. Grapeshot was close when he said Clerks prefer a "wet" signature - meaning one done in their presence. If you sign the application before you get to the Notary you will have to do it all over again.

You do not have to get your signature notarized by someone in the Clerk of the Court's office. You can find Notaries in lots of places - your bank or credit union, any office of AAA (don't even have to be a member), even some real estate offices.

It is not necessary to tell them what the document is - just tell them that you need your signature notarized. They will ask you for a government-issued photo ID (driver's license is most usually preferred, next is military ID) and will record the data in their notary log. They do not have to add any stamped info, nor do they need an embossed seal - just fill in the lines already printed on the form.

Sorry to be technical and long-winded, but I want to get as much use as I can out ofthe $25.00 I paid to become a Notary.:D

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I was unclear in my previous post. Skid is quite correct in that all notaries will require that you sign in front of them. What I intended to convey is that some clerks of court prefer (not require) that you sign in front of them.

Don't beat me for this. I know it is not enforceable but avoids a small bump and they don't normally charge for the service either.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I heard of the BB&T bank clerk that would not notarize for a gun owner. I am in Sterling.. so if you want me to Notarize for you Monday night, I would be happy to free of charge.

Ed

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I can get it notarized at work. I just want to make sure I got the right place to drop it off.

Thanks

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hokie wrote:
I can get it notarized at work. I just want to make sure I got the right place to drop it off.

Thanks

Is work a smart place to get it notarized?

Is perhaps a bank better or someplace where an objection to guns would not come back to haunt you?

dbc3804

imported post

When I was doing my paperwork in Henrico, I called the clerk's office for information. They told me not to bother with the notary and just bring it in and sign it in front of them.We have to get the fingerprinting done at the police office, and then take the paperwork to the courthouse, so I wanted to get the sequence of events straight. I was glad to hear that a third stop wasn't necessary for finding a notary.

Danny (Hokie Dad, with a bumper sticker toadvertise it)

RedKnightt

imported post

Hokie wrote:

Thanks
Hi Hokie, you're right in my neck of the woods.

Yes, you go to the Fairfax County Circuit Court. You want the Civil Intake Division. It was on the second floor, but there has been some shuffling lately with the new building and it may have moved. You may want to call ahead and verify: (703) 691-7320. I got my CHP application notarized at my credit union for free.

The Deputy Clerk in charge of the Fairfax CHP process is an overworked and underappreciated lady named Carol Snow. If you happen to hit any snags or problems, let her know. There was a delay for a while where CHPs were taking 45-55 days to process (supposed to be 45 days max), but that seems to have cleared up.

Also, if you don't know, you do not have to put your Social Security number on the application. I didn't, and had no problems.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

architect

imported post

More things to remember about visiting the Jennings building:

- no carry, open or concealed with or without a permit
- no knives or other commonly misunderstood tools
- no audio or video recorders including camera cell phones

You can check items in the latter two categories with the guards at the metal detector, but you can save time and hassle by leaving them in the car.

edit: spelling

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just dropped it off. If anyone else need to do this The Civil Intake Division is now on the 3rd floor.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Do NOT sign the application until you are in the presence of the person who will be notarizing your signature. Grapeshot was close when he said Clerks prefer a "wet" signature - meaning one done in their presence. If you sign the application before you get to the Notary you will have to do it all over again.

You do not have to get your signature notarized by someone in the Clerk of the Court's office. You can find Notaries in lots of places - your bank or credit union, any office of AAA (don't even have to be a member), even some real estate offices.

It is not necessary to tell them what the document is - just tell them that you need your signature notarized. They will ask you for a government-issued photo ID (driver's license is most usually preferred, next is military ID) and will record the data in their notary log. They do not have to add any stamped info, nor do they need an embossed seal - just fill in the lines already printed on the form.

Sorry to be technical and long-winded, but I want to get as much use as I can out ofthe $25.00 I paid to become a Notary.:D

stay safe.

skidmark

With all due respect, Skidmark ismistaken on several matters regarding current Virginia notary law. Most importantly, a seal or stamp is absolutely required in Virginia on all documents or the document has not been duly notarized.

As a note, the fee to become a notary is now $55 - $45 upfront and then $10 to the clerk of the court. Notary licensesare good for four years.

Skidmark is correct that you should only sign the document in front of the notary. However, it not correct to say that you will "have" to re-do the form if you sign in advance. If you forget or accidently sign it in advance, then your document stillcan be notarized if you either re-sign underneath your signature or sign over your signature in the presence of the notary (althoughmany notaries may choose to require you to have a fresh form - but not me).

Also, toa limitedextent the notary makes the determination what documents will satisfyhim orherof your identity (although there is great risk in accepting anything other than a valid, state or federallyissued, unexpired, pictureID with an individualized number and an issue and expiration date on it).I will usually only take an unexpireddrivers license, state id card or US passport (although Ihave made exceptions). At my company, as a matter of corporate policy, we generally will not take military ID's from one particular branch of the military for any purpose, asthis onebranch of the military does not provide the informationtypically required to consider an identification valid (a signature, an individualized identification #, an issue date, an expiration date, a color photograph).

Also, technically an ID is not requiredfor a notary to notarize a document, although 99.9% of the time you will have to show ID (although not if you are personally known to the notary)

Also, some notaries (like me) do not record the documents they notarize in a log, although it is considered the "best practice" to do so.

DoubleTap

imported post

+1 - you beat me to it....I was just getting ready to post the same link! There were a lot of changes made on the effective date of July 1, 2008. If I recall correctly, a seal was not always required on every document, but I'm not sure when that changed. Thanks for the good input.:D