• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested with weapons at Pelosi hotel

vrwmiller

imported post

The Associated Press Article Launched: 08/24/2008 12:47:18 PM PDT

DENVER—A man who tried to carry two hunting rifles and two pistols into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown hotel remained in police custody Sunday.

Pelosi and other guests briefly left the hotel during the Saturday incident but were never in danger, Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said.

The man, Joseph Calanchini, 29, of Pinedale, Wyo., faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case at the entrance and detained him.

Wiley said he didn't know if the weapons were loaded.

"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly.

Source

Another article I read on it indicates that at least one of the rifles was in a rifle carrying case. Said nothing of the pistols though. Allegedly, the guy had had the guns worked on and was preparing for a hunting trip.

Of course, none of the news reports I have read indicate how he was unlawfully carrying said arms, as he was so charged.

Evil Ernie

imported post

OK, so how is this "unlawful"? He's going hunting for crying out loud. Last I knew, hunting rifles and sidearms were legal in Denver. I'd love to know what the actual charges are.
I guess we'll wait and see.

Mjolnir

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
According to FOX news, the Rifles were in locked Rifle Cases and the Handguns were in his luggage.

Sounds like a clear case of false arrest to me.

Link?????

Huck

imported post

"The man, Joseph Calanchini, 29, of Pinedale, Wyo., faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case at the entrance and detained him.

Wiley said he didnt know if the weapons were loaded."

Interpretation; the firearms were not loaded. The SS and Denver cops would've established that rightaway.I have no doubt that the SS, Denver PD, and lib media would've been waving that all over like a red flag had they been loaded.

Decoligny

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
OK, so how is this "unlawful"? He's going hunting for crying out loud. Last I knew, hunting rifles and sidearms were legal in Denver. I'd love to know what the actual charges are.
I guess we'll wait and see.
He will be charged with causing Pelosi to soil her Depends!

Evil Ernie

imported post

So I wonder when Joe Calanchini wins his civil suit against Denver, will he leave it named "Denver" or will he rename it "Calanchiniville" since he's gonna OWN them!!!!!!!!
These are the cases which 2A lawyers dream of...

DenWin

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
The Associated Press Article Launched: 08/24/2008 12:47:18 PM PDT

DENVER—A man who tried to carry two hunting rifles and two pistols into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown hotel remained in police custody Sunday.

Pelosi and other guests briefly left the hotel during the Saturday incident but were never in danger, Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said.

The man, Joseph Calanchini, 29, of Pinedale, Wyo., faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case at the entrance and detained him.

Wiley said he didn't know if the weapons were loaded.

"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly.

Source

Another article I read on it indicates that at least one of the rifles was in a rifle carrying case. Said nothing of the pistols though. Allegedly, the guy had had the guns worked on and was preparing for a hunting trip.

Of course, none of the news reports I have read indicate how he was unlawfully carrying said arms, as he was so charged.
It depends on what else there was. This story and the other one are both very short and short on facts. Did the pistols happen to be loaded? Not only would that be illegal, but it would also be negligent on his part. Even if nothing was loaded, just him being in possession of them would be negligent. The first you do upon recieving any firearm is clear and safe the weapon. If I was an LEO I don't think I would have arrested him, probably a stern lecture and to stay out of hotels occupied by VIPs who have USSS as body guards, but I don't know the whole story.

Orygunner

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
So from now on I guess I should ask the hotel if any VIP's will be staying there at the same time as me?

Yes, and make sure you clutch your gun hidden under your jacket and look around nervously.

...Is there anyone.... FAMOUS... nearby that's... afraid I.... Might..... Murder them?.... :shock:
...Orygunner...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well, we now have Obamas first test case, he has stated he supports RTBA for hunting.
Lets hold our breath for him to support the release of this constitutionally
alowed pasttime:shock:.
Who made the reservations first. The hotel should have been able to clear that up
on the spot.

As for the loaded issue...
I don't know is the only safe answer. You say yes, and they are you admit to a crime,
you say no, and some over eager LEO puts a bullet in them, you also have lied to the police, as well as have the loaded gun charge.

Should you carry the pistol ammo in the rifle case, and long gun ammo with the pistols? How do you keep them seperate now that you are punninshed for more than one bag by airlines?

Ahh, another 4/8 years of government ducking and weaving of civle rights lawsuites
aginst themselves. Guess they can blame McCaine for alowing them to be reinstated.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Loaded long guns aren't illegal unless you have them in a car. Loaded handguns aren't illegal period. This is not a case of "unlawful concealed carry" since they were in cases and in luggage, and this definitely isn't a case of illegal OC in Denver.
As long as he wasn't brandishing, i.e.: waving them around (which he wasn't), then he's in the right and DPD will have a new owner.
Now, if the SS had metal detectors or wands at the entrance, and he snuck thru, then it's a techicality and he might be in some trouble.
If they actually thought he was any kind of real threat, his bail would be MUCH higher if there was any set at all.
This is all a BS move on the DPD just to prove that they "have the city secure and under control".

And all this "rifles registered in his name" crap is just that: CRAP!! There is NO long gun registration!!!!

Dom made a good post on the Colorado OCDO board, I'm going to take the liberty and repost the article he found:

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=98258&catid=346

USA - A Wyoming hunter who accidentally caused a security concern at the Grand Hyatt hotel Saturday says he's sorry for the problems he caused and didn't know the Democratic National Convention was in town.
When Joseph Calanchini walked into the Grand Hyatt hotel with 2 rifles and 2 pistols Saturday around 4 p.m., Denver Police evacuated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) from the hotel until they arrested Calanchini and made sure it was safe for Pelosi to return.
"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," said Joseph Calanchini from the Denver City Jail where he's being held on bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."
Calanchini, who talked to 9Wants to Know from the Denver City Jail, says he had the weapons because he's getting ready to go on a hunting safari trip in Limpopo Basin, South Africa on August 28. He plans to hunt warthog, impala, baboon and jackals with a friend there.
He says he had just picked up his rifles from the Sportsman's Warehouse and had them in a locked gun case when he checked in at the Grand Hyatt. The clerk checking him in noticed the rifle case and called security.
"I'm amazed. It's not like they were illegal weapons, they were all registered to me," said Calanchini. "It was bad timing."
Police say Calanchini had permits for the rifles, but did not have concealed permits to carry two pistols that were found in his luggage. Calanchini says he forgot they were in there.
He was charged with unlawfully carrying weapons, a misdemeanor. Calanchini is being held on $10,000 bond at the Denver City Jail.
"I didn't mean to cause any problems," said Calanchini. "I'm sorry, it was not intentional."
Calanchini, who is registered as an independent, says he doesn't know who he's going to vote for yet.
"Would this affect my choice as a candidate? No. There's more important issues than this," said Calanchini.
The 29-year-old man from Pinedale, Wyoming, has never been arrested before. He says he's hunted for several years in places like Canada, California and Wyoming. He planned the safari to South Africa with a friend in June.
He says the U.S. Secret Service interviewed him for an hour and a half on Saturday to make sure he's not a threat.
"They know I'm not trying to do anything," he said.
Calanchini, who sells drilling tools across Colorado and Wyoming, says he is a frequent guest at the Grand Hyatt.
But the Grand Hyatt General Manager says he was not a registered guest at the hotel.
"We don't know why he was walking through our hotel," said General Manager Ed Bucholtz.
After police searched and towed Calanchini's car, they allowed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) back into the hotel.
"The speaker was never in any danger. And she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Brendon Daly, Pelosi spokesman.

(Copyright KUSA*TV All Rights Reserved.)

ScottyT

imported post

"We don't know why he was walking through our hotel," said General Manager Ed Bucholtz.
Seriously? What a dumb ass, trying to look good for the news...

The clerk checking him in ...
Maybe he was walking through the hotel because he was planning on staying there?!? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

hsmith

imported post

Pays to be part of the Protected Class

She can get her own CHP even when she tries out outlaw them for the common folk!