• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested with weapons at Pelosi hotel

Evil Ernie

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
Evil Ernie wrote:
Loaded long guns aren't illegal unless you have them in a car.
Is that a Colorado state law or is that a federal law? I'm not patronizing I'm curious.
Colorado law states that you are not permitted to transport by vehicle any long arm with a CHAMBER loaded. Now you can have an AR, AK, Mauser, Mosin, Swiss, etc, etc with a full magazine, but no round chambered. You can have a muzzleloader/flintlock with main charge and ball/bullet packed and ready, but no powder in the flashpan or percussion cap fitted.

I really hope this guy fights this with everything he's got. Hopefully he's not one of those "2A is only for hunters" type of guys.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Man arrested with weapons at Pelosi hotel
The Associated Press Article Launched: 08/24/2008 12:47:18 PM PDT

DENVER—A man who tried to carry two hunting rifles and two pistols into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown hotel remained in police custody Sunday.
Well there you go. The downtown hotel obviously belongs to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. What was this guy thinking? Good thing all those people with guns were there to protect her. I think I'll get my own armed security service to protect me from traveling hunters. Because I am SO important. :banghead:

Renegade

imported post

At times this country can be downright disgusting when considering the Gestapo-like police tactics of attempting to arrest everyone for technical violations of unjust laws.

It is my opinion that most likely:

* this man was not aware he was possibly in violation of some goofy law concerning where and how a piece of his personal property can be carried
* this man had absolutely no intention of doing anyone any harm let alone an elected official
* this man will be persecuted to the fullest extent having his good life destroyed by a government that has unlimited resources when compared to the common man

I see no reason why any man should be restricted in any way regarding the carry of a firearm. I don't care if yours is loaded or unloaded. I don't care if it is a long gun, shot gun, pistol, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, etc. I don't care if you carry it in a barber shop, machine shop, church, shopping mall, police station, school house, etc.

I trust my fellow man just as much as I trust my ability to immediately stop another man who is hell bent on murder and mayhem.

The damn NRA has hurt us more than helped us along with all the yellow bellied "hunters" who think "there are no good reasons to own an ASSAULT rifle", blah, blah, blah...

For decades the NRA had the entire country believing the right of gun owners had something to do with hunting!?! Give me a darn break! You see the cover of NRA lifer mag with grandpa and his grandson carrying a grouse and a double barrel shotgun walking into the sunset. The Second Amendment has nothing to do with that!

Anyone who agrees that we "should have some limits" are doing nothing but restricting my God-given right to defend myself and my family from criminals and/or tyrannical governments.

Rattrapper

imported post

Hey Renegade!! You need to back up. The NRA has always lead the charge on PROTECTING ALL FIREARMS ( you do notice I don't use the word "weapon" ) and have never believed that it was for hunting only. Please get your facts straight, With that kind of division our battle to protect our firearms and what the right means to us becomes more difficult. Yeah, "I AM THE NRAand I VOTE"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

"Lead, follow or get out of the way."

The NRA needs to follow a principled gun rights organization if they want to be a pro gun rights force rather than just another gun-control mouthpiece. Gun control is about power and control, not freedom.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Orygunner

imported post

From my limited knowledge and experience with the NRA, I believe they've made some compromises that haven't been in gun owners' best interests. I agree we need to stop compromising and fight to take back the infringements on our gun rights across this country.

For those that haven't done it, I highly suggest checking out what Dr. Ignatius Piazza is doing at FrontSight. I got his free DVD, which is mostly a sales pitch for his training and memberships, but it also has some good information on why we can't compromise anymore.
https://www.frontsight.com/store/freedvd.aspx?

I realize some people may not want to back the NRA because of various reasons, but think about it: Where would we be now without them? (answer: much worse off)

...Of course, on the other hand, where would we be if they acted more like the no-compromise GOA all these years?...
...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

I'm thinking that as soon as it's discovered that it was an illegal arrest, the city is going to release the guy and try and sweep this whole thing under the rug...

Let's hope this blows up in their face as a gun-rights catastrophe and gets some pro-gun media coverage. I would imagine this is being scrutinzed by the NRA or GOA as a good lawsuit to back up.

...I'll expect Dr. Ignatius Piazza to offer the guy free training any day now...
...Orygunner...

Mjolnir

imported post

"Rumor" has it the hotel staff was instructed to notofy the police if they saw anybody with guns.

Guy came walking in to check in and the staff notified security there was a man with a gun case in the hotel.

Guy submitted to a personal search and police found a concealed weapon/

Guy did NOT have a CCW and was cuffed and stuffed.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Simple transport of firearms in baggage doesn't require a CCW. 'Being from Wyoming... I would suspect he had one... from Wyoming. That said... the arms weren't on his person. I dunno... Denver's weird. I stay outta that place.

Mjolnir

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Simple transport of firearms in baggage doesn't require a CCW. 'Being from Wyoming... I would suspect he had one... from Wyoming. That said... the arms weren't on his person. I dunno... Denver's weird. I stay outta that place.
However, in Colorado to carry a concealed weapon on your person you are required by law to have a concealed permit.

Colorado does honor Wyoming's concealed permit as long as you are a resident of Wyoming.

It appears he does/did not have a Wyoming concealed carry permit and thus when giving permission to be searched by the law he was appearantly found to be in posession of a illegally concealed weapon.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
There are states, inlcuding Virginia, who's courts have held that a handgun in a locked container = concealed handgun thus requiring permit. OUr Governor Kaine vetoed a bill that would have fixed that, at least in vehicles, last session.

A lot of gun owners forget this problem and think - oh, this is legal, no problem. No, it;s not, it;s a big problem and we need help ficing these laws.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The law of the land is the Constitution... 2A. That should be sufficient w/o any meddling. 'Shall not be infringed." speaks volumes. No caveats.