• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clinton Wal-Mart

mike4cobra

imported post

First off, I am a long time reader of opencarry.com, but this is my first time posting. I have open carried for about 4 years now and have never had any problems untill now. I was in the Wal-Mart in Clinton today carrying my XD9 service model when I was approached by the assistant manager (Ed Davis) who informed me that Wal-Mart had a no weapons policy unless by a police officer. I questioned him directly on the policy and that from what I understood Wal-mart went with state law. He told me that he attentded a training class 3 weeks ago about the said policy and was trained on how to aproach people like my self whom are carrying weapons. He said i was welcome to shop but i had to take my firearm back to my vehicle. During the coversation he repeatedly told me how much he believed in thesecond ammendment but had to enforce store policy. Complying with state law i took my pistol back to the truck per managers request (as much as i wanted to leave my wife and i had alot of shopping to do). I felt no reason to sit and argue or cause a scene. I know some of you had delt with Wal-Mart in the past and could see if there is a new policy against open carry. Maybe the higher ups with the company need to be informed about how much we liked it there because there was no hassle.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Start by talking with The District Manager then Call up 1800-Wal-Mart let them know you spoke with the district Manager and you want to take it further. To the regional VP rolando Rodriguez just need as many people following this process to let them know how we feel and the policy needs to change.

goosemama

imported post

I thought that if the store was open to the public that such a policy was unenforceable through state law. I can't put my finger on the statute at this very moment, but I know that there are several on this forum who can.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I do a lot of shopping in that store and would hate to have to stop. However, I was just in there yesterday OCing and nobody approached me.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Their policy is not enforceable through state law, because no such law exists in Utah. In some states, if a business has a "no guns allowed" sign posted, it may be enforceable by law, but not in Utah. If you are asked to leave the business, and refuse to do so, then you could be charged with trespassing for refusing to leave.