• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Safety Course Listings

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK I thought I'd start this and everyone else can add to it.

This is a listing of Handgun Safety Courses/Schools in Tennessee. If you have taken a course, please list it here for others to find, who may be looking for a class near them. Posty name of school, location, and contact info. A short review would be great.

I just attended this one on 8/23/08

Hohenwald, Lewis County Tn

High Forest Firearms Training

Contact/Instructors:
Kevin Carrol, Sgt Hohenwald PD, SRT
931-628-3602
email: kevincop131(at)hotmaildotcom
or
Kenny Preatice, Lt (Investigator) Lewis County SD
931-796-7072
931-209-7802

Class time was held at Housing Authority Building - Range is at the Landfill (Outdoor/shelter nothing fancy but the LE's use it and it serves the purpose)

Cost: $100.00 will need to bring 50 rds for your weapon - They do have a few loaners you can use if you don't have.

They maystart conducting advanced training in the future.

NOTE: The instructors (both LEO's) told us that HPD and LCSD recognize that open carry is legal, However, they did warn us that if they get a MWG call they will take precautions for their safety and the publics and dissarm you until they have checked you permit for validity. Once they have established you are legal and haven't broken any laws they will return your firearm and permit (on the spot) with an apology for any inconvenience (unless you get uncooperative with them). They also advised us, in the event of a traffic stop, to let the officer know you are armed right off the bat and present your HCP along with your DL. They don't like surprises.

Fallguy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
They also advised us, in the event of a traffic stop, to let the officer know you are armed right off the bat and present your HCP along with your DL. They don't like surprises.

Apparently they don't like following the law either then. Nothing in the law requires you to notify an officer you are armed.

I think it is up to each person in each situation they find themselves whether it is better to volunteer that information right away or whether it may make an issue out of something that otherwise may never come up.

If they really want all HCP holders to automatically notify an officer they ought to work to get the law changed, not semi-threaten those in their expensive class.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
They also advised us, in the event of a traffic stop, to let the officer know you are armed right off the bat and present your HCP along with your DL. They don't like surprises.

Apparently they don't like following the law either then. Nothing in the law requires you to notify an officer you are armed.

I think it is up to each person in each situation they find themselves whether it is better to volunteer that information right away or whether it may make an issue out of something that otherwise may never come up.

If they really want all HCP holders to automatically notify an officer they ought to work to get the law changed, not semi-threaten those in their expensive class.
I don't think they meant it as a threat or even a semi-threat. It sounded more like a suggestion.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

My wife and I used ASPin Joelton, Davidson county. Great people, and the range had the best ventilation of any we have used here in Middle TN. Ventilation is an issue for us since my wife is pregnant. The class was taught by a mil instructor, don't recall if he was active or former. He even loaned my wife his father's duty weapon from when he was a sherrif. They provide ammo for the shooting portion, and if you don't have a firearm they will provide one, included in the course fee. Now, I had a problem with the range ammo, but I have a Ruger P944 and it is very picky on what ammo it likes. I can shoot federal or WWB all day long, but the off-brand ball ammo they provided wanted to stovepipe on magazine insertion.

They also recommended that people declare their permit and the fact they you are armed on a traffic stop. They were very careful to state that it wasn't required, but provided anecdotes of people getting more lenient treatment form cops in various jurisdictions due to the permit. They attributed that to the LEO's knowing that you weren't a convicted felon, etc, and the officer was able to relax a bit.

Since whenever an LEO runs your drivers license, the permit will come up as well, they will know that you have it. I see no specific harm in letting them know ahead of time, but whether i disclose initially will depend on the circumstances of the stop.

Respectfully,

Pol

Fallguy

imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
Since whenever an LEO runs your drivers license, the permit will come up as well, they will know that you have it. I see no specific harm in letting them know ahead of time, but whether i disclose initially will depend on the circumstances of the stop.

Respectfully,

Pol

That is all I'm saying really.....it's sort of an "at the time" decision.

Of course I have read post of people being told get out of their car and having themselves and their car searched after notifying an officer.

You are right about HCP and DL info being connected, but I have had a permit nearly 16 years and it has really only been in the last 3-4 I carried regularly. So just because someone had a HCP doesn't mean they are armed. (Although they should be :))

crotalus01

imported post

In my class we were also advised to notify the copsby handing them our HCP and licenseif pulled over. Personally, I dont think it is any of their business if I am armed or not since it has nothing to do with the stop, and I will not notify them. I will not lie if they ask, but I'm not going to volunteer information that has nothing to do with the reason for our interaction.

Edit to add my class was at:

Range USA

2770 Whitten Road

Memphis TN 38133

901-213-4774

www.rangeusa.com

They offer many classes in addition to the HCP, including Street Handgun Levels 1- 5, Home Defense Shotgun, Tactical/Defensive Shotgun 1 &2, Basic Carbine Rifle, CQB Carbine 1 &2, Personal Assault Combat Training (PACT), IDPA, etc. They also offer classes teaching proper gun cleaning and breakdown. Awesome staff and instructors, highly reccomended. They are the number one HCP issuer in the state of Tennessee.