Thread: Colonial Williamsburg Trip

Post imported post

So I went with my family to visit Colonial Williamsburg over the weekend.

Overall we had a really good time, but I did have a couple "interactions."

On our last day (today), one employee ran(!) up to me and asked me if I had cleared my gun with security. I said, "No, why would I do that? Several security guards have seen me. None of them said anything..."

He proceeds to explain that since Williamsburg gets "federal funding," private guns are prohibited (I don't pretend to follow this logic). He then asked me to conceal my weapon. I explained that, since I didn't have a permit, that would be illegal. He seemed quite surprised that I didn't have a permit, so I briefly explained VA OC to him.

He wouldn't let the issue drop, so after he asked me to conceal again I said "OK, fine", walked off, and proceeded to ignore him. If he'd asked me to leave, I would have done it, but this guy was clueless.

The last stop we made was the gunsmith, who informed me that security "might" have a problem with it, since it's private property and they have a "no guns" policy, but he didn't have a problem with it himself. I said that we'd been there all weekend and had security walk right past me, with no issues.

Other than that, I had no issues anywhere. I OCed the whole time, in the hotel, in town, on tours, etc. We even went into the Rockefeller Folk & Decorative Art Museum, where they had a "No guns and swords downstairs" sign. At first I was a little annoyed, but when the lady at the desk proceeded to take water bottles and "disarm" some kids of their toy guns, I realized the point of the rules was to prevent damage to the exhibits from careless children. As it happened, my holstered firearm presented no danger to the exhibits, and I had no problem spending two or three hours perusing the museum. The security guards there were extremely friendly and helpful, in fact. No mention was made of my sidearm by them or any of the staff.

Post imported post

Well this isn't nearly as cool as the first Williamsburg OC story I heard (which I assume you're aware of since you commented on it. Just thought I'd share for those who hadn't yet):

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=williamsburg (7th Post)

Post imported post

No, not nearly as cool :?

Post imported post

Marshaul -

In the words of one of my heroes - "You done good!" You handled the ninny employee well, and avoided a useless confrontation.

I'm not so sure the Gunsmith was not confused between the rule that disarms employees and some rule that says visitors cannot carry. I suggest this because if the Rockerfeller Foundation/Colonial Williamsburg had a "no guns" policy for visitors it would be clearly stated & posted where it was applicable. (Remember, some of the streets in the Colonial area are actually public streets/state highways while others are private ways.)

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

I've never had any problem there. I usually conceal most of the time and then open carry in the late afternoon/ evening when I am through taking pictures and eat in one of the restaurants ( My Camera bag rests over my gun anyway so I just don't tuck my shirt in). I had a long talk with one employee who had noticed my gun and came over to sit and talk while I was sitting outside of one of the restaurants. We had a very good conversation (about an hour) and we talked about firelocks most of the time both modern and real firelocks.

It sounds like this employee is misinformed.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    So I went with my family to visit Colonial Williamsburg over the weekend.

Overall we had a really good time, but I did have a couple "interactions."

On our last day (today), one employee ran(!) up to me and asked me if I had cleared my gun with security. I said, "No, why would I do that? Several security guards have seen me. None of them said anything..."

He proceeds to explain that since Williamsburg gets "federal funding," private guns are prohibited (I don't pretend to follow this logic). He then asked me to conceal my weapon. I explained that, since I didn't have a permit, that would be illegal. He seemed quite surprised that I didn't have a permit, so I briefly explained VA OC to him.

He wouldn't let the issue drop, so after he asked me to conceal again I said "OK, fine", walked off, and proceeded to ignore him. If he'd asked me to leave, I would have done it, but this guy was clueless.

The last stop we made was the gunsmith, who informed me that security "might" have a problem with it, since it's private property and they have a "no guns" policy, but he didn't have a problem with it himself. I said that we'd been there all weekend and had security walk right past me, with no issues.

Other than that, I had no issues anywhere. I OCed the whole time, in the hotel, in town, on tours, etc. We even went into the Rockefeller Folk & Decorative Art Museum, where they had a "No guns and swords downstairs" sign. At first I was a little annoyed, but when the lady at the desk proceeded to take water bottles and "disarm" some kids of their toy guns, I realized the point of the rules was to prevent damage to the exhibits from careless children. As it happened, my holstered firearm presented no danger to the exhibits, and I had no problem spending two or three hours perusing the museum. The security guards there were extremely friendly and helpful, in fact. No mention was made of my sidearm by them or any of the staff.
    You did an excellent job diffusing the idiot.

By that same logic, by cashing our income tax refunds, our homes become federal property, and "no guns on federal property"

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    I'm not so sure the Gunsmith was not confused between the rule that disarms employees and some rule that says visitors cannot carry.* I suggest this because if the Rockerfeller Foundation/Colonial Williamsburg had a "no guns" policy for visitors it would be clearly stated & posted where it was applicable.* (Remember, some of the streets in the Colonial area are actually public streets/state highways while others are private ways.)
    Thinking about it later, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. After all, security really did see me and didn't even stop to say "Hello." Nothing is posted anywhere (except the museum ), and they do have signs up where they could easily convey such a policy if it actually existed.

I guess in retrospect it wasn't bad as all that. The guy who did hassle me was clearly not one of the experienced, knowledgeable employees -- just some kid, really. And the gunsmith made it clear that, whatever he may have thought their policy was, he wasn't going to enforce it himself. I toured basically all the important buildings in town, and over 2.5 days I had no other negative reactions.

Post imported post

There was a fairly amusing interaction at the hotel. We were standing outside talking to the doormen about where my mother might find a waffle past noon, when a French woman near me said (in French, no less) to her husband, "That man over there has a gun, and I think it's real." My father (who has lived in France) heard this, politely turned to her and said, "It is real, but don't worry, it's holstered and not at all dangerous."

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    There was a fairly amusing interaction at the hotel. We were standing outside talking to the doormen about where my mother might find a waffle past noon, when a French woman near me said (in French, no less) to her husband, "That man over there has a gun, and I think it's real." My father (who has lived in France) heard this, politely turned to her and said, "It is real, but don't worry, it's holstered and not at all dangerous."
    But I thought Obama said Americans don't know any french other than "thank you very much"...

Post imported post

Just carry your French Army knife and have everything you need to say in French at your fingertips :P

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

lol, I'm surprised that the woman didn't produce one of those (with the bottle opener stowed) instantly upon seeing a firearm.

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Just carry your French Army knife and have everything you need to say in French at your fingertips :P

I don't usually go for insulting the French, but this is just way too funny.

Post imported post

It's still too dangerous...you could put someone's eye out with the corkscrew!
    Oh and the white flag is a choking hazard. :P

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:

I don't usually go for insulting the French, but this is just way too funny.
    Plus it's from me and you know by now that I am equal opportunity. Funny is funny
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Ah, but there's one place the French show great courage (at least enough to wield dangerous tools). And that's in the face of victory.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Ah, but there's one place the French show great courage (at least enough to wield dangerous tools). And that's in the face of victory.
    What's sad is the fact America's turning into this...pretty soon they'll have to come with a warning label on the side (engraved like on the side of some guns).

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Ok.. so is some OC member going to set up a day of OCing in Williamsburg with a group tour and a dinner? Pick a date and lets get things going.. People could pre-pay with PayPal for the tour etc.

I'd be interested.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I looked at a map today as well and saw lots of things called "NATIONAL" in front of them... So national parks, national battlefields, national battlefield parkways, etc..
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed,

What does "Founder's Club Mmember" under your screen name signify?

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    ed,

What does "Founder's Club Mmember" under your screen name signify?

That I have PayPal'ed money to help pay for the Texas Billboard and in support of this site in an amount of 100.00 or more.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    ed,

What does "Founder's Club Member" under your screen name signify?
    That I have PayPal'ed money to help pay for the Texas Billboard and in support of this site in an amount of 100.00 or more.
    Hmmm... since I have no idea what you're talking about, I guess I'll have to poke around the forum a little more, starting with the Texas section.

Thanks.

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    ed wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    ed,

What does "Founder's Club Member" under your screen name signify?
    Hmmm... since I have no idea what you're talking about, I guess I'll have to poke around the forum a little more, starting with the Texas section.

Thanks.
    http://opencarry.org/taxi.html

http://opencarry.org/billboard.html
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Ok.. so is some OC member going to set up a day of OCing in Williamsburg with a group tour and a dinner? Pick a date and lets get things going.. People could pre-pay with PayPal for the tour etc.

I'd be interested.
    You can pre-pay via the Colonial Williamsburg site (http://www.history.org/visit/planYourVisit/Ticketplans/) and thus not have to use the anti-gun PayPal any more than is necessary.

How about October the 18th?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein