Thread: Loaded longarms and shotguns in car?

Post imported post

Hey guys i was wondering if I can carry my shotgun and my rifle loaded in my car, I do have my CPL but the name makes me think it is just pistols. I have read the RCW's and I cant find anything that says its ok just pistols is says.

Post imported post

No-can-do.

Long arms are not allowed to be carried loaded in a vehicle. I know this was gone over many, many months ago, but I doubt I'll be able to find it with our crappy search engine.

I'll see what I can find for citing source and edit this.

Edit: Here's the law, it's a misdemeanor: RCW 77.15.460

Oh, and it wasn't as far back as I thought, only a month ago *chuckle*: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13388
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

RCW 77.15.460
    Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

[/b](1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

[1999 c 258 § 7; 1998 c 190 § 28.]

State Researcher

Post imported post

Yeah what everyone else has said!

You gotten a chance to OC in Tumwater or other areas of Thurston County yet?

Post imported post

That's strange i don't understand why, but thank you for the help.

Post imported post

Thanks, RWW. I edited my post before I saw your's posted. Good call on just posting the whole wording.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Yes i did OC once to the am/pm. In and out real quick but i was very nervous so i will ease into it slowly. need to buy smaller cloths i look like a punk with the baggy jeans

Post imported post

I think itstarted with loaded long guns in vehicles while hunting. Too many accidents. FYI, people have been written up for just leaning a loaded long gun against a vehicle. It's why I carry enough handgun to get the job done when I hunt.

Post imported post

BOOMINFOCUS66 wrote: Yes, but kparker mentions it in his post on Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:49 am.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Thank you I saw it I just read it too fast I first time just like the rcw's I guess.

Post imported post

This was mostly due to the problem with people doing drive by hunting. Driving public roads and than shooting at deer in the fields along the side of the road (hence the part about fireing over a public roadway)

Post imported post

BOOMINFOCUS66 wrote:
    That's strange i don't understand why, but thank you for the help.
    It began as part of the game code to stop poachers and bonehead accidents.

One of these fools accidentally shot and killed a game warden several years ago during the deer hunting season on a routine license check.

I've been at game check stations and seen people, suddenly surprised by all the game cops, feverishly cranking rounds out of their guns. Fortunately, the worst that ever happened in my presence was a hole blown through one idiot's floorboard. Nobody was hit by the errant bullet.

I have no respect, zero, nada, for hunters who knowingly drive around road hunting with loaded rifles or shotguns aboard when the know damn well it's illegal.

Post imported post

ok thanks that makes a lot of sense I have never been hunting I am just a city boy.