• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pit Bulls vs OC

richarcm

imported post

I'm not sure what my question is really. But I was searching youtube videos last night before bed and found many from NH where people who were legally carrying were temporarily detained by law enforcement. They were questioned because of concerned bystanders and ultimately let go because.....they didn't do anything unlawful.

I just started wondering how this relates to someone walking down the street with a Pit Bull on a leash. I love dogs and love Pit Bulls so it wouldn't bother me. However some people may feel fearful and concerned that there is such a breed walking down their street.

What is the liklihood that if I called the cops on someone walking such a dog that the cops would drive out there, follow the dog owner, stop him/her, question their intentions and ask them to take the dog inside because people felt threatened?

I don't suggest that owners SHOULD have to keep their dogs inside. I just see a parallel, don't really have any direction with it at this point but thought it was interesting.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is nothing the police can do about a person walking a Pitt on a sidewalk. My friend had a big muscular Pitt which was so nice to walk. ( You could point to either side of you snap your fingers and he would go to that side of you.)

I got so many looks from everyone I passed by with that dog I had a big fear of Pitts from growing up, they use to chase me, they have killed 3 of my dogs as a kid, so I had a big fear of them. when I fire say this dog, I would not look him in the eye, this down was so friendly to me.But as I walked that dog, if a office came to me and asked me to take him home. I would tell him to get lost.

I am sure there are some cities that have ordnances against owning these aggressive dogs, but I am not sure about walking them in that said city.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I can see your connection and, in fact, the issue parallels the OC issue in more ways than one might first realize....ie, an unreasonable fear of something that isn't the source of the problem.
The MSM has had great influence in the general attitude of the public regarding guns as well as "pits" when neither is at the heart of the issue.
For example, what response would you expect to get from "Joe/Jane Public" if someone made the staement "Pitbulls are no more likely to be involved in a fatal dog attack than any other large breed"?....guess what...that statement is true. http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
Breed specific regulation is no better than OC regulation....neither solve the problem.

I say, OC while you walk your Pit...hopefully someday the sheeple will realize that there are no wolves in the neighborhood:celebrate

richarcm

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
I can see your connection and, in fact, the issue parallels the OC issue in more ways than one might first realize....ie, an unreasonable fear of something that isn't the source of the problem.
The MSM has had great influence in the general attitude of the public regarding guns as well as "pits" when neither is at the heart of the issue.
For example, what response would you expect to get from "Joe/Jane Public" if someone made the staement "Pitbulls are no more likely to be involved in a fatal dog attack than any other large breed"?....guess what...that statement is true. http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
Breed specific regulation is no better than OC regulation....neither solve the problem.

I say, OC while you walk your Pit...hopefully someday the sheeple will realize that there are no wolves in the neighborhood:celebrate
Dude, that's what I'm saying. I get fearful everytime I see someone with a sheet on their heads but if I were to just assume that they were bad people because of the sheets, and I were to call the cops on them....I would be a bigot.

Its just funny how anti-gunners/liberals (sorry, but the ARE typically the same) are so "hear/see/speak no evil". They act like if it isn't open carried then it doesn't exist. Guns are only dangerous when they are openly carried. Otherwise.....they don't exist.

These people never cease to amaze me with their brilliance.

Back on topic.....I would LOVE to walk down the street open carrying with a pit bull on the end of a leash. I would IMMEDIATELY be walking up and down King St!!!! Take that all you prissy little fee fee dogs!!!!!

Orygunner

imported post

Hey, that could be something to ask a LEO if ever detained for OC.

"Officer, if someone called and reported I was walking down the street with a scary looking pit-bull on a leash, and not doing anything illegal, would you be detaining me and treating me exactly the same as you are now?"

...Wonder how far that would get me in the discussion...Not that I would agree to have a discussion anyway...
...Orygunner...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I used this argument when talking with my police chief. He said they would stop the man walking the pit bull and ask for the dogs license, etc... detain and ask questions. Seemed not to get the point between OC and walking a dog.

Orygunner

imported post

Venator wrote:
I used this argument when talking with my police chief. He said they would stop the man walking the pit bull and ask for the dogs license, etc... detain and ask questions. Seemed not to get the point between OC and walking a dog.

(Scooby Doo voice) Rem I reeing rerained? Ram I ree to ro row, rofficer?

...he HEE hee hee hee hee...
...Orygunner...

edited to correct capitalization

Orygunner

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Did you have a brown sack to clean up after your chief takes a dump on
the 2A?

Actually, sounds like the chief doesn't understand the 4A or 5A either. Well, as long as he understands it's a consentual conversation, there's no legal power to detain and no requirement to answer questions...

...Orygunner...

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Venator wrote:
He said they would stop the man walking the pit bull and ask for the dogs license, etc... detain and ask questions.

If you have a license, why not just do the smart thing and CC your Pit?...don't you realize that you scare the she...er people when you OC your Pit? :banghead:

Tucker6900

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Venator wrote:
He said they would stop the man walking the pit bull and ask for the dogs license, etc... detain and ask questions.

If you have a license, why not just do the smart thing and CC your Pit?...don't you realize that you scare the she...er people when you OC your Pit? :banghead:
Ive tried that. And all he does is scratch the hell out of my legs!!

Orygunner

imported post

Is that a dog in your pants, or are you just....

dog-in-pants.jpg

...Oh... Never Mind...

...Must be a "Bad Guy", he doesn't have it in a holster...
...Orygunner...