• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We no longer know the value of community.

whoopingllama

imported post

This is a crying shame. People are sick. I'm pretty lucky to live where I live still then. When I was little, I had fallen off of the trampoline onto a plastic lawn chair that broke immediately with my leg through the arms of it. I didn't brake anything, but I did yell pretty loudly and for a minute or so. My cousin came running across two 3 acre yards to come see what was going on? Granted, he is family, but the response was immediate. But, luckily the same does seem to for the most part still happen where I live. There are still people willing to help each other out.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Yes. I have done so and referred to Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft quite a few times here on OCDO. It compares and contrasts 'community' (Gemeinschaft), as you and I probably know it, to civil-society (Gesellschaft) as society seems to be evolving.

The differentiation that I find most significant is between a community of traditional roles and a 'community' with legally determined roles.

This was written in German in 1887 and only recently translated into English 2001 so it is not for weak-minded 'readers'.

yeahYeah

imported post

i agree 100%... same thing with robbery's out here...no one cares about a neighbors house.... as long as it doesn't happen to them.

i am not like that though. my neighbor left his garage open the whole day and he has lots of expensive tools and electrical supplies. I closed his door for him and left him a note. he was dumbfounded that i actually did it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was awakened before Sunrise by big engines in my cul de sac in SC but no sirens. A meth lab had been discovered not a hundred feet from my door and just around the corner of another house so that I could not see the doorway of the cooker's house.

While chatting with the Chief of Police, he took me to task for not being a good nosey neighbor and knowing what my neighbors were up to.

There after I did become a good neighbor.

Soon the homeowner of the meth lab, not the cooker that went away right away, began intimidating the single women in the neighborhood. I took to letting them and him know that I was always armed, even to the point of OC while around my yard.

I had the PD park obsolete cruisers in my front yard, encouraging the notion that I was - perish the thought - a cop.

Another time I saw two professional ladies enter a nearby home early in the day and thought hmmmm. It was months later that I realized that the guys that lived there were TVs by night and college kids by day.

Now my nearest neighbor is 500 yards away, up the mountain and South, out of sight. We worry about drugs through our little FBO WI2P2.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

My nearest neighbor is about a half-mile away as the crow flies. I make movies, so I'm gone often and friends or family keep the house, but my neighbor never lets his guard down. He has often come to the house and checked to be sure things were all right.

God bless a good neighbor. Be one.