• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police overreacting? Not gun related

Daddyo

imported post

So, we're having a problem at work (a clinical laboratory, we do cholesterol testing) and the alarm system keeps calling 911. We've already been fined once, but the alarm company can't seem to get a handle on it.

Anyway, apparently Saturday it happened again. I was eating lunch and when I came back to the lab floor, the supervisor asked me if I had made any calls. I said no. Then he said that the police had come roaring into the parking lot and came into the building with some sort of long arm (supervisor isn't a gun guy, but from his description either an MP5 or M4).:what: When the supervisor started walking toward him to find out what's going on the cop goes to his sidearm and says"Stay Back!" The super complies and, realizing what has most likely happened, tries to de-escalate the situation. He explains that he is the lab supervisor and as far as we know its a false alarm. The cop asks what we are all doing here. Super says "Working". Why is everyone wearing gloves? Because, as I've said we are a laboratory and we're handling blood specimens:banghead: Would you like to come on in and take a look around?

Cops says "No! That won't be necessary" and beats a hasty retreat.

Just wanted you guys to know that evidently some of the treatment OC'ers have been getting may just be standard procedure.

sraacke

imported post

Oh My God! You were working on a saturday? What were you thinking, man? :DJust kidding. I work "nontraditional" hours too.

Here's the problem I see. Your alarm company is calling the police before calling your company. Your boss needs to call the alarm agency. Have them change their policy so that, when an alarm goes off they call somebody in your office first. Once they have you on the phone they can ask you a couple of "secret" questions. Answer correctly and the alarm company resets the alarm and you go back to work. But... if they ask "What's the codeword?"andyou answer "Christmas" and the correct answer is "Easter" then the alarm company employee notifies the cops and you get the joy of being proned out with a M4 shoved into your ear.

Or you could just keep setting off the alarm, getting fined and having armed thugs with badges show up in your building. Good luck.

Prophet

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
Just wanted you guys to know that evidently some of the treatment OC'ers have been getting may just be standard procedure.
if the way OC'ers are sometimes treated was "standard procedure" then you all would have been taken outside, forced to provide ID under threat of arrest, had background checks done on you for about an hour, been verbally abused and called names about choosing to legally work in a labratory when there are safer jobs that don't require you to wear gloves and THEN the cops would have left without so much as an inking of an apology.

Prophet

imported post

hell, the more i think of it, i would PREFER if what happend to you was SOP for cops.

(i'm walking around while OC'ing, cop pulls up)

Cop: What are you doin?

Me: walking

Cop: why do you have a gun?

Me: To protect myself.

(cop beats a hasty retreat)

Sounds pretty good to me.

Legba

imported post

We had a phony alarm call at a lab I worked at and the guy on the phone asked what the code word was. I said "how the hell should I know, I'm just a temp." I don't think any emergency people got dispatched. So much for expensive security.

-ljp

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Prophet wrote:
Daddyo wrote:
if the way OC'ers are sometimes treated was "standard procedure" then you all would have been taken outside, forced to provide ID under threat of arrest, had background checks done on you for about an hour, been verbally abused and called names about choosing to legally work in a labratory when there are safer jobs that don't require you to wear gloves and THEN the cops would have left without so much as an inking of an apology.
:lol:Now that was funny, I don't care who you are, that was some funny stuff right there. say it again so I can laugh... HAHA that was funny...

I mean really:lol:

say it again

Daddyo

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Daddyo wrote:

Point well taken. My apologies for making an unfair comparison.

imported post

Legba wrote:
We had a phony alarm call at a lab I worked at and the guy on the phone asked what the code word was. I said "how the hell should I know, I'm just a temp." I don't think any emergency people got dispatched. So much for expensive security.

-ljp

lmao :)