• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College Student Commentary Goes off Deep End Against Open Carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/media/storage/paper244/news/2008/08/25/Opinion/Williams.Concealed.Carry.Should.Be.Enough.For.Gun.Owners-3402771.shtml

According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Virginia are all considering legislation that would allow people to carry concealed guns on campus-a right that people on Utah's college and university campuses already have. None of the states were successful.

The desire to protect oneself at school has become an ever-growing issue, primarily because of the 28 attacks at schools in the United States since May 2000. Although it's not a new trend, a 2002 study conducted by the Secret Service and Department of Education examined evidence from 37 attacks of targeted schools between 1974 and 2000. All 65 of these shootings occurred at gun-free zones.

Utah is the only state that has a law allowing people permits to carry concealed weapons on campus. The law was adopted in 2004, and in September 2006 Utah's Supreme Court overruled the U's former campus gun ban.

Now, more than ever, students and teachers from schools across the United States are demanding this same right to bear arms. There's even a national organization called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus that has more than 30,000 members and focuses on changing laws to allow citizens to carry concealed hand guns on campus.

The major issue at the U isn't whether or not you can carry, but the ability to carry openly versus concealed. Debates ran rampant on campus until the issue ultimately died at the Senate in March. And that's exactly where it should stay-dead.

The ability to conceal a weapon is all that is needed to protect yourself and your fellow classmates from a targeted attack. It might be a pain and not as comfortable to conceal your weapon, but it is effective and efficient.

Utahns should be thankful they are allowed to have guns on campus and quit trying to push the system. It could very easily backfire and inspire gun opponents to try and reinstate the original ban.

"The problem with carrying open is someone wanting to take your weapon away from you," said Sergeant Arb Nordgren of campus police. "It's the biggest concern for a police officer."

Crime statistics from the U's Department of Safety report zero firearm incidences on campus in 2005 and 2006. Perhaps criminals with guns don't want to work in these areas because they understand there's a possibility their victims could be packing.

The requirements of being allowed to conceal carry are much more stringent than open carry. To receive a concealed weapons permit you must be 21, have a valid driver's license, be fingerprinted, have an extensive FBI background check conducted by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and pass a written and shooting range test.

The BCI reports that only about 2 percent of permits are revoked each year. This helps guarantee that people who obtain and keep CWPs are mostly law-abiding citizens who, unlike open carry individuals, have proven their worthiness to carry concealed guns.

Most people don't like guns. They don't want to see them, especially at school. They want to believe they are in a perfectly safe bubble and think guns are for bad guys and violent movies. It's wasted energy to attempt to change their minds. Trying to force acceptance by openly carrying will not change their opinions. It will only create a hostile environment and increase their efforts to eliminate guns on campus.

When you conceal carry, nobody is the wiser. People who are anti-gun don't have to get nervous, and permit holders still have their weapons with them on campus. U gun owners should have appreciation for all they enjoy, not muddle the system with unnecessary demands. Concealed carry is a perfect scenario and something many other states can only dream about. Let's just allow open carry to rest in peace.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I would like to see somebody grab a gun from a LV3 serpa if they didn't know about the mechanics of that holster. ROFL

That would shut that guy up. :)

Kevin

tito887

imported post

has anyone on these forums open carried on the universities in utah?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
So could they stop you from going in to the stadium during a football game?
What is the text of Utah's preemption of colleges?
53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.

(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

and

76-10-500. Uniform law.

(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Mike wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
What is the text of Utah's preemption of colleges?
53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.

(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

and

76-10-500. Uniform law.

(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.
I don't see an exception to preemption for football games.

FogRider

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
I would like to see somebody grab a gun from a LV3 serpa if they didn't know about the mechanics of that holster. ROFL

Kevin
I'd like to see it tried knowing the mechanics. It's just not set up to work for anyone but the guy wearing it.

swillden

imported post

FogRider wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:

I'd like to see it tried knowing the mechanics. It's just not set up to work for anyone but the guy wearing it.
It's not that hard. It takes two hands and a little practice, though.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I am sure they would try if you were open carrying. The law, however, is clearly in your favor. Here is one small detail to worry about...

When TJ and I were detained for open carry at Utah Valley University, the Attorney General told the campus police that we were lawful to open carry on school property, but our sidearms needed to be unloaded. Now, we all know (including the AG) that the law says otherwise. He said this because Utah Valley University and the University of Utah have threatened to sue him again if his opines that loaded open carry is lawful on campus.

swillden

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
He said this because Utah Valley University and the University of Utah have threatened to sue him again if his opines that loaded open carry is lawful on campus.
It's a sad state of affairs when even a State Attorney General can be cowed by the threat of a lawsuit that he knows will fail.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
I am sure they would try if you were open carrying. The law, however, is clearly in your favor. Here is one small detail to worry about...

When TJ and I were detained for open carry at Utah Valley University, the Attorney General told the campus police that we were lawful to open carry on school property, but our sidearms needed to be unloaded. Now, we all know (including the AG) that the law says otherwise. He said this because Utah Valley University and the University of Utah have threatened to sue him again if his opines that loaded open carry is lawful on campus.
I guess the one thing going for me is that the AG shouldn't be at the game to tell them it has to be unloaded.

Amendment 2

imported post

Does anyone know if you are allowed to open carry at the salt lake community college. What is there policy that is where I currently go to school.

Thanks

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:
Does anyone know if you are allowed to open carry at the salt lake community college. What is there policy that is where I currently go to school.

Thanks
Since SLCC is owned by Salt Lake (correct me if I'm wrong) Preemption also comes in to play here, and they can't enforce any rules about firearms. So you are good to go. OC or CC.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
That's kind of what I was thinking... I guess I'll find out how they react, I was planning on going to a U of U football game this year.

I have to admit that I have never been to a UofU football game....

Shall we make it a group activity?

JoeSparky

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Amendment 2 wrote:

Thanks
You tell us - is salt lake community college a "state entity?"

swjr

imported post

The ability to conceal a weapon is all that is needed to protect yourself and your fellow classmates from a targeted attack. It might be a pain and not as comfortable to conceal your weapon, but it is effective and efficient.

... while it may be "all you need to protect yourself...from a targeted attack" it will do NOTHING to prevent an attack. Wouldn't that counteract the statement indicating it's efficiency? I always thought it was better (and more effective and efficient) to deter an attack from happening in the first place than to try and stop it once it has already started.

Utahns should be thankful they are allowed to have guns on campus and quit trying to push the system. It could very easily backfire and inspire gun opponents to try and reinstate the original ban.
Right. Who wants to actually have the few rights granted us by the laws in force? (Sense the sarcasm)

The requirements of being allowed to conceal carry are much more stringent than open carry. To receive a concealed weapons permit you must be 21, have a valid driver's license, be fingerprinted, have an extensive FBI background check conducted by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and pass a written and shooting range test.
So... anyone else familiar with the written and shooting range test that you have to take to get your CCW permit? ... oh, right! There isn't one. Silly me... I thought newspapers were supposed to be accurate in the "facts" reported.

The BCI reports that only about 2 percent of permits are revoked each year. This helps guarantee that people who obtain and keep CWPs are mostly law-abiding citizens who, unlike open carry individuals, have proven their worthiness to carry concealed guns.
I didn't know that those that are open carrying had ever tried to prove "...their worthiness to carry concealed guns." I thought they were exercising their right to open carry - not attempting to conceal carry despite their unworthiness.

Sorry - TOO much to comment on here. This article serves as a great reminder to not believe everything that you read.