Thread: Questions from a Noob

Post imported post

:?

Ok. I've got some questions that may seem pretty stupid, but I've read most of the threads on here and am only able to get a partial picture. I'm also new to the US so navigating the various legal publications is difficult.

So if I understand this, it's 100% legal to open carry (OC) in Virginia anywhere except private property that is posted.

Is it legal to OC in the following:

Post Office?

Police Station?

Schools?

A restaurant?

A bar?

For those places where it is not legal, where is this defined? Is it legal to CC (with permit) in those same places?

Also, I noticed in one post that someone recommended a business card with the various info regarding open carry. Did anyone ever put this together?

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:

Ok. I've got some questions that may seem pretty stupid, but I've read most of the threads on here and am only able to get a partial picture. I'm also new to the US so navigating the various legal publications is difficult.

So if I understand this, it's 100% legal to open carry (OC) in Virginia anywhere except private property that is posted.

Post Office?no, federal property

Police Station?yes, in all non-secure areas

Schools?no. CC allowed in your vehicle only, this is with a validw/permit

A restaurant?yes, OC legal in all restraunts, CC only legal in those that do not serve alcohol.

A bar?trick question as VA does not have "bars" we just have restraunts that have "bars" within them. Your answer is yes though.As the only legal way to carry in any virginia establishment with a ABC license for on premises consumption of alcohol is to OC.

For those places where it is not legal, where is this defined? Is it legal to CC (with permit) in those same places?

Also, I noticed in one post that someone recommended a business card with the various info regarding open carry. Did anyone ever put this together?

i'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer some of these questions in the meantime i'd respectfully suggest that you use the search function or at least browse some of the old posts.

At least in the VA forum these are questions that have been answered many times.I will say that there are some important differences in CC and OC allowed places and i suggest you research it further.

and since you are a self admitted noob don't take it the wrong way if anyone suggests that you volunteer to purchase ammo and beer(each to be consumed at seperate times of course).

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Pages 5 and 6 of the VCDL newsletter (The Defender) has a handy card. Here's a link to the latest issue.

Also search on "Your Virginia Gun Rights" BobCav put it together some time ago.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Here is the link to the BobCav's Virginia gun rights PDF.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html

Post imported post

This is great info folks. I just found the search function. Thanks!!!

Post imported post

Welcome aboard, Buster. Your profile doesn't say what part of the state you're located in, but if you're able I'd highly recommend (and invite) you to join us at one of our OC dinners or lunches. Great way to get your feet wet and learn more.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:

Post Office?

Police Station?

Schools?

A restaurant?

A bar?

You need to update your profile with city and state; if you live in Virginia, you need to poke thru the Va. State police web site and Va. Code and VVCDL.org web site, and, join at least the VCDL alert list.

Post imported post

Profile is updated. I'm looking for the alert list right now. Thanks again for the info.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Profile is updated. I'm looking for the alert list right now. Thanks again for the info.
    google up the Virginia code - look at sections in and around 18.2-308.

Post imported post

I'll state the obvious.....take some classes.

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    I'll state the obvious.....take some classes.
    Yes sir.

Post imported post

But of course.

All human(s) are made equal. (True)

But it's how we evlove ourselves is what matter(s) at moment...!!!!!!!!!!!

Ihave walked around O'cing everywhere that the LAW allows me too....!!!!!

Our 2A rights states that "We Have the Right To Bear Arms"........

But does it say where and when......?????????????????

Interesting ain't it....???????
    So did the government just over rule the constitution and the amendments ????

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Welcome Buster81. This link to the VA code is a good start. Another link to the VCDL website. Do your research and ask questions, too.