• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions from a Noob

buster81

imported post

:?

Ok. I've got some questions that may seem pretty stupid, but I've read most of the threads on here and am only able to get a partial picture. I'm also new to the US so navigating the various legal publications is difficult.

So if I understand this, it's 100% legal to open carry (OC) in Virginia anywhere except private property that is posted.

Is it legal to OC in the following:

Post Office?

Police Station?

Schools?

A restaurant?

A bar?

For those places where it is not legal, where is this defined? Is it legal to CC (with permit) in those same places?

Also, I noticed in one post that someone recommended a business card with the various info regarding open carry. Did anyone ever put this together?

67GT390FB

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Ok. I've got some questions that may seem pretty stupid, but I've read most of the threads on here and am only able to get a partial picture. I'm also new to the US so navigating the various legal publications is difficult.

So if I understand this, it's 100% legal to open carry (OC) in Virginia anywhere except private property that is posted.

Post Office?no, federal property

Police Station?yes, in all non-secure areas

Schools?no. CC allowed in your vehicle only, this is with a validw/permit

A restaurant?yes, OC legal in all restraunts, CC only legal in those that do not serve alcohol.

A bar?trick question as VA does not have "bars" we just have restraunts that have "bars" within them. Your answer is yes though.As the only legal way to carry in any virginia establishment with a ABC license for on premises consumption of alcohol is to OC.

For those places where it is not legal, where is this defined? Is it legal to CC (with permit) in those same places?

Also, I noticed in one post that someone recommended a business card with the various info regarding open carry. Did anyone ever put this together?

i'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer some of these questions in the meantime i'd respectfully suggest that you use the search function or at least browse some of the old posts.

At least in the VA forum these are questions that have been answered many times.I will say that there are some important differences in CC and OC allowed places and i suggest you research it further.

and since you are a self admitted noob don't take it the wrong way if anyone suggests that you volunteer to purchase ammo and beer(each to be consumed at seperate times of course).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pages 5 and 6 of the VCDL newsletter (The Defender) has a handy card. Here's a link to the latest issue.

Also search on "Your Virginia Gun Rights" BobCav put it together some time ago.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Welcome aboard, Buster. Your profile doesn't say what part of the state you're located in, but if you're able I'd highly recommend (and invite) you to join us at one of our OC dinners or lunches. Great way to get your feet wet and learn more.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

buster81 wrote:

Post Office?

Police Station?

Schools?

A restaurant?

A bar?

You need to update your profile with city and state; if you live in Virginia, you need to poke thru the Va. State police web site and Va. Code and VVCDL.org web site, and, join at least the VCDL alert list.

marine2000

imported post

But of course.

All human(s) are made equal. (True)

But it's how we evlove ourselves is what matter(s) at moment...!!!!!!!!!!!

Ihave walked around O'cing everywhere that the LAW allows me too....!!!!!

Our 2A rights states that "We Have the Right To Bear Arms"........

But does it say where and when......?????????????????

Interesting ain't it....???????
So did the government just over rule the constitution and the amendments ????