• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun storage at a gym

xiphoris

imported post

The subject asks most of the question. I go to a gym fairly regularly and I'd like to OC or CC on the bus there. I need a way to store the firearm and the gym provides lockers. The lockers use the standard small gym-type keys.

In the minds of members, do gym lockers have sufficient security? Would you consider it safe? Is it legally permissible? (I'm a Washington resident, if you wish to consider specific law).

bradco

imported post

When I am at the Gym I carry all my valuables with me from station to station in gym bag, much safer. I couldn't even imagine storing my firearm in a gym locker room locker.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
For South Carolinians a gym bag may be considered an improper concealment. A lady's purse has been tested in Court but a gentleman's bag of any sort is not clearly legal and has not been tested.

That's what worries me,because I've thought about doing that. In a bag isn't on your person, so I doubt that would fly.

Some gyms (including the one I go to) offer separate tiny safes to keep valuables in.You might want to look into that, OP. However, in my gym this would require disarming and placing the gun in the safe in front of everyone which isn't an opinion.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
The subject asks most of the question. I go to a gym fairly regularly and I'd like to OC or CC on the bus there. I need a way to store the firearm and the gym provides lockers. The lockers use the standard small gym-type keys.

In the minds of members, do gym lockers have sufficient security? Would you consider it safe? Is it legally permissible? (I'm a Washington resident, if you wish to consider specific law).

Do you have permanent lockers, or must you bring a lock and use day lockers?

I'm thinking a center of mass safe, kept in your locker, might work. I wouldn't keep mine in any public locker; they're too easily accessed, even with a good lock. But many have a metal bar that extends on the inside and you could loop the cable around it. Perhaps TOO obvious if you have to carry the safe with you, too, but if you have a permanent locker you could leave it there.

What do you carry? I carry Bersas most of the time. I could keep the magazines with me, and even if the gun were stolen the BG wouldn't be able to find magazines for it :lol:

Decoligny

imported post

xiphoris wrote:

I have seen too many friends have their stuff stolen out of gym lockers, LOCKED gym lockers. It doesn't take much to cut a lock off. There are bolt cutters that can fit into a small gym bag and a thief can hit 10 or more lockers in a matter of minutes. Don't want a scumbag getting your gun and selling it to a worse scumbag who might kill someone with it.

LEO 229

imported post

Please do not ever leave any items in a gym locker you are not willing to just give away!!!

Gym Locker + Thief = "Stolen Property"

Gym Locker + Staff Member + Master Key = "Stolen Property"

Carry items of value with you in the gym or lock it up in your car.

Believe it or not.... your car is more secure than that gym locker.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I agree that the locker is not sufficiently secure. Besides, leaving it on the locker would mean that you are not armed. I am a firm believer in ALWAYS being armed. Keep it with you.

LEO 229

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
I agree that the locker is not sufficiently secure. Besides, leaving it on the locker would mean that you are not armed. I am a firm believer in ALWAYS being armed. Keep it with you.
Agreed.... If you are out in public... what good is a gunin your locker??

The locker is just a place to store your clothing so you will know they are still there to put on when you return. Nobody wants to take your underwear.

OK... almost nobody would want them.

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Please do not ever leave any items in a gym locker you are not willing to just give away!!!

Gym Locker + Thief = "Stolen Property"

Gym Locker + Staff Member + Master Key = "Stolen Property"

Carry items of value with you in the gym or lock it up in your car.

Believe it or not.... your car is more secure than that gym locker.
+1 LEO I had some stuff stolen from a gym locker at Bally's once. I bought a good combination lock and thought my stuff was safe. One day when I returned to the locker, the lock was gone and so was my wallet. My underwear was still in the locker. This was before I started carrying my firearms everywhere.

LEO 229

imported post

All gyms in my area have been hit at some time.

Members and even a guy that was let in to "take a tour" have stolen stuff. They bring in bolt cutters and that nice lock is easily removed.

LEO 229

imported post

Ya.... but jumping rope could really hurt... :lol:

I could see getting this if you were a body guard and your customer wanted to hit the gym....

But I would probably just keep my gun in a gym bag near me in my control.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll just leave it in my car. I'm not working out at the gym with a gun strapped on me and I'm not leaving it in my locker. I'll take that vulnerability risk.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Not a gym....but therapy for my shoulder....carried a CZ82 in a fanny pack. Therapists knew but were ok with that,but my Glock winked at them from under my vest. That upset them. And then they startedelecmassage ....had to remove vest and undo shirt.:uhoh:

Don't care what it looks like, or how, I carry at all times.