• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warner Robins Newbie

LegallyArmed

imported post

Hello.

New guy here from Warner Robins GA. Been concealed carrying for over a year now, and am getting up the nerve to open carry. I'm not looking forward to my first conflict though. I've read a lot of good ideas on here though, so I'll probably be doing it in the next few days. Concealed carry is just too uncomfortable sometimes. I'm a lefty carrying an XD 40 SC. A lot of the concealment options I'd like to try aren't offered for lefties. Talking to WRPD now to figure out what the LEO's understanding of the laws are. Trying to get a class put together in Warner Robins to educate new or current CCW holders on the laws, in plain english, because I've found them to be confusing.

Any other W.R. residents here?

GaOwlPoop

imported post

I am in Kathleen - is that close enough?

I have open carried a few time, around Perry mostly. I found that mostly people do not even notice, even when carrying a medium frame weapon in a cross draw position. The only real attention I have ever drawn is from an officer in Wal-Mart - I am not sure if she was a prison guard or a DNR officer but she gave me the once over - more then once. I have found it to be more of a hassle then it is worth. Don't get me wrong, if you want to open carry that is fine and I support your decision. For me however I will conceal. I also support this forum and will continue to read it.

Good luck on your OC.

smn

imported post

I'm in Warner Robins, and I must say that WRPD is very understanding of the law here. I OC everywhere possible and have never had a bad experience. I think the only place I'd have to conceal is at the Galleria Mall.

I've carried in DJ's Galaxy quest for my son's 6th birthday party and in front of a LEO without any interaction.

I've also been the subject of a MWAG call in the new Kroger by a customer (I think) yet the responding officer and I did not interact. In short the local PD are well aware of our rights to carry and their responsibilities as a LEO to uphold local AND constitutional law.

Usually when I'm out and about I have my family in close proximity so the presence of a weapon doesn't seem as frightening to the sheep. However when I'm out on my own I tend to go to a store and buy what I need and leave. I've never had a poor OC experience in Warner Robins. Maybe we'll meet each other OC'ing some day.

Check out GeorgiaCarry.org. I encourage you to join if you haven't. Also, see the forum at GeorgiaPacking.org for lots of good discussion.

- smn

maddogg10mm

imported post

I oc'ed this past Friday in the Macon area. I went to Lowes on Zebulon road & had good service. Also went to Best Buy on Presidential Pkwy & had great service & no issues we me ocing. Then the wife, kids & I went over to Corky Bells for dinner & no issues there, but did get alot of stares though. All in all a very good day ocing.

jerg_064

imported post

I'm in WR, in the USAF 5th mob. I'm actually job got mostly clairfied on these laws through research in less than 2 days. Still 20 though and slightly nervous as far as LEO interactions go. Yet if smn is that certain that LEOs here know the law then i should need not do more than show my ID, not to mention most people can spot me being military from a mile away.Which i'm still baffled as to how they do it sometimes, not just here but anywhere, had a couple airport situations in civilian clothes where they spotted me and sent me to and open line. It's nice to get some appreciation.

I'm pretty much plan on CC as soon as i get a holster for my new Glock 17. If any one wants to OC with me my first time when that may be it'd be cool, i think i'll use my S&W .357 mag for that though, she's just purdy.

smn

imported post

You should be fine carrying. Before you find yourself in a tier 1 encounter with a LEO, please see this http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21707&start=20

There are a few links in the post which I'm sure you'll find interesting. With some self confidence and knowledge of GA and federal law you'll be prepared to reply to any LEO, "Am I free to go?"

Also, don't forget to join GeorgiaCarry.org and encourage your fellow servicemembers to exercise their rights to carry.

jerg_064

imported post

Thanks for the thread link, i've already done a bit of reading into how to deal with police, and watched two 45-50min video posted in another thread. No one is perfect, but i do know how to deal with stress, i've delt with police on a few occaisions before and handled it stress free, they work for the city/county/state, i work for the United states. They have no intimidation factor to me.(not cocky, just confident)

So as long as i can learn to shut up when need and listen to the fif, while not being crude of course, mil has taught me how not to be even to a sh**bag.

Thanks for the extra confidence in the law, and helping to beat "Am I free to go" in my head.

P.S. Upon learning about this less than 48hrs ago i've told about every mil member i've ran into, and collected 16-11-130, the AG unofficial opion, and georgiapacking.org then forwarded that information to about 20 military. Supercarry does sound unstressful as well. Wonder how that would work out with PG OC pinic type events.
I may join georgiacarry, i'm already a lifetime Gun owners of america member, so why not add to the list. I do however disapprove of the NRA for there support of the Veterans Disarmament Act (H.R. 2640), which practically instanstly disarmed in the neiborhood of 2 million americans.