Thread: Guns for teachers poll

Post imported post

Msn has a guns for teachers poll.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26394165/

Post imported post

Just got my yes vote.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I notice that the allow teachers to carry is winnng with an overwhelming margin.

Post imported post

Without clicking the link I suspect this has to do with the small school district in Texas that have just made a policy allowing teachers with concealed permits to carry to work.

Post imported post

It got my yes vote too, but IMHO teachers should have to go through certification and recertifications each year or so. I would also argue that they should have to go through more intensive psychological tests than when they enter the public education system. It is my belief that it is the teachers duty to protect students at whatever the cost. I am currently working towards my BA in Education and I feel that it would be my job to protect the children that I put under my ward even if it ment paying the ultimate price in a columbine (or other school crisis) scenario, and what better way to provide ultimate protection that to arm teachers (although I dont believe in at TOTAL teacher armerment(sp), but only partial depending on how many teacher but at least 2 to 3 weapons per hallway depending on how the school is setup)...

Again, these are just my personal feelings on the situation from a future teacher

s2

Post imported post

Here's the article that goes with the poll.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26393946

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Here's the article that goes with the poll.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26393946
    As I surmised...

Post imported post

I voted yes, but it should be CC only. Teachers aren't jailguards.

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    First OC is still illegal in Texas, so CC is the only way they can carry. In the article one of the students mentioned not being able to know which teachers are carrying, so again CC.

Post imported post

The wording on this poll is interesting as it seem to lean toward the anti-gun. It leads the poller to think that any teacher can decide, not allowing for the licensing, testing, qualification or some other wording. I wouldnt have wanted some of my teachers to carry, they couldnt even control the class much less any threat.

Yes. Any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun.
    61% Yes, but only in the country's most dangerous school districts.
    5.9% No. Guns have no place in schools.
    33%

Post imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
    The wording on this poll is interesting as it seem to lean toward the anti-gun. It leads the poller to think that any teacher can decide, not allowing for the licensing, testing, qualification or some other wording. I wouldnt have wanted some of my teachers to carry, they couldnt even control the class much less any threat.

Yes. Any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun.
    61% Yes, but only in the country's most dangerous school districts.
    5.9% No. Guns have no place in schools.
    33%
    What is interesting is that the most dangerous schools don't have the big shootings, It's always one of the "safe" schools, so this option is real stupid to begin with and backs up Triple Taps contention of anti-gun leaning of the poll. Though the public as a whole seems to be smarter than the anti-gunners anymore.

Post imported post

The problem with the "most dangerous schools" is those are not where the school shootings take place. The "dangerous schools" statistically less guns found in them than schools in "good neighborhoods," which are also where the Columbines happen. Most of the ghetto schools have metal detectors and lots of cops anyway. Not that they will stop everything, but they're there.

Post imported post

I like how the "No" option includes the phrase "guns have no place in schools."

We already know that guns have no place in schools. The problem is that criminals keep bringing them there. Throwing in crap like that is a subtle way of attempting to skew the results.

Post imported post

3/325 wrote:

We already know that guns have no place in schools. The problem is that criminals keep bringing them there. Throwing in crap like that is a subtle way of attempting to skew the results.
    I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much ofa place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms. I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs. Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    3/325 wrote:

I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much ofa place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms. I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs. Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...
    Good point! I remember learning to shoot and hunt as a kid. It was the proper thing to do at the time. Now it's frowned upon to raise kids in the same TOWN as a firearm. The sheeple are being led, by the ring in their nose, to voluntarily surrender their Constitutional rights... starting with the 2A.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    Orygunner wrote:
    3/325 wrote:

I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much of¬*a place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms.¬* I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs.¬* Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...
    Good point! I remember learning to shoot and hunt as a kid. It was the proper thing to do at the time. Now it's frowned upon to raise kids in the same TOWN as a firearm. The sheeple are being led, by the ring in their nose, to voluntarily surrender their Constitutional rights... starting with the 2A.
    My local High School has a whole basement full of guns. My son learned to shoot in High School.
    It's called Marine Corp. JROTC and is a competitive air rifle shooting program and range. I believe he learned more about shooting in High School than in his Naval Boot Camp :?
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Post imported post

Just voted.

It's up to:
    62%
    5.8%
    32%
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

In Isreal at least on school outings like field trips teacher are required to carry guns. I cant remember were I saw that at but I have seen that some place

Post imported post

n15wb wrote:
    Bookman wrote:
    Orygunner wrote:
    3/325 wrote:

...Orygunner...
    My local High School has a whole basement full of guns. My son learned to shoot in High School.
    It's called Marine Corp. JROTC and is a competitive air rifle shooting program and range. I believe he learned more about shooting in High School than in his Naval Boot Camp :?
    Quite a number of Wa. High Schools have air rifle ranges. The CMDR at the high school in the district I work does alot of work for the matches for ROTC, regardless of the branch, and has sent a few of his kids to nationals. The RCW's even give an exemption for firearms on school grounds if it is for a ROTC group. He said he would like to bring back .22 rifles but the EPA has put so many restrictions on the range setups that it is not cost effective.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    cynicist wrote:
    First OC is still illegal in Texas, so CC is the only way they can carry. In the article one of the students mentioned not being able to know which teachers are carrying, so again CC.
    NOT AN ATTACK, JUST POINTING SOMETHING OUT.

IIRC, it is legal in TX to OC in your place of business. School=teacher's place of business.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    NOT AN ATTACK, JUST POINTING SOMETHING OUT.

IIRC, it is legal in TX to OC in your place of business. School=teacher's place of business.
    Might want to be careful with this line of reasoning. You might be able to OC in "your" place of business. You don't actually own the school as a teacher but are an employee so this probably doesn't cover you.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
    This might make an interesting study. The number of kids killed or injured annually in school or during school activitiessuch as sports compared to those killed or injured by guns. Nationally or by state

Post imported post

irfner wrote:
    Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
    This might make an interesting study. The number of kids killed or injured annually in school or during school activitiessuch as sports compared to those killed or injured by guns. Nationally or by state
    Swimming pools kill more kids every year than guns do. So why aren't pools illegal?

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    irfner wrote:
    Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
    Swimming pools kill more kids every year than guns do. So why aren't pools illegal?
    Because they are fun??? Oh wait so are firearms....nevermind.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40