• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns for teachers poll

David.Car

imported post

Without clicking the link I suspect this has to do with the small school district in Texas that have just made a policy allowing teachers with concealed permits to carry to work.

s2ua7

imported post

It got my yes vote too, but IMHO teachers should have to go through certification and recertifications each year or so. I would also argue that they should have to go through more intensive psychological tests than when they enter the public education system. It is my belief that it is the teachers duty to protect students at whatever the cost. I am currently working towards my BA in Education and I feel that it would be my job to protect the children that I put under my ward even if it ment paying the ultimate price in a columbine (or other school crisis) scenario, and what better way to provide ultimate protection that to arm teachers (although I dont believe in at TOTAL teacher armerment(sp), but only partial depending on how many teacher but at least 2 to 3 weapons per hallway depending on how the school is setup)...

Again, these are just my personal feelings on the situation from a future teacher :)

s2

Bear 45/70

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I voted yes, but it should be CC only. Teachers aren't jailguards.
First OC is still illegal in Texas, so CC is the only way they can carry. In the article one of the students mentioned not being able to know which teachers are carrying, so again CC.

Triple Tap

imported post

The wording on this poll is interesting as it seem to lean toward the anti-gun. It leads the poller to think that any teacher can decide, not allowing for the licensing, testing, qualification or some other wording. I wouldnt have wanted some of my teachers to carry, they couldnt even control the class much less any threat.

Yes. Any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun.
61%
dotRed.gif
Yes, but only in the country's most dangerous school districts.
5.9%
dotRed.gif
No. Guns have no place in schools.
33%
dotRed.gif

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
The wording on this poll is interesting as it seem to lean toward the anti-gun. It leads the poller to think that any teacher can decide, not allowing for the licensing, testing, qualification or some other wording. I wouldnt have wanted some of my teachers to carry, they couldnt even control the class much less any threat.

Yes. Any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun.
61%
dotRed.gif
Yes, but only in the country's most dangerous school districts.
5.9%
dotRed.gif
No. Guns have no place in schools.
33%
dotRed.gif
What is interesting is that the most dangerous schools don't have the big shootings, It's always one of the "safe" schools, so this option is real stupid to begin with and backs up Triple Taps contention of anti-gun leaning of the poll. Though the public as a whole seems to be smarter than the anti-gunners anymore.

cynicist

imported post

The problem with the "most dangerous schools" is those are not where the school shootings take place. The "dangerous schools" statistically less guns found in them than schools in "good neighborhoods," which are also where the Columbines happen. Most of the ghetto schools have metal detectors and lots of cops anyway. Not that they will stop everything, but they're there.

3/325

imported post

I like how the "No" option includes the phrase "guns have no place in schools."

We already know that guns have no place in schools. The problem is that criminals keep bringing them there. Throwing in crap like that is a subtle way of attempting to skew the results.

Orygunner

imported post

3/325 wrote:

We already know that guns have no place in schools. The problem is that criminals keep bringing them there. Throwing in crap like that is a subtle way of attempting to skew the results.

I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much ofa place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms. I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs. Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
3/325 wrote:

I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much ofa place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms. I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs. Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...
Good point! I remember learning to shoot and hunt as a kid. It was the proper thing to do at the time. Now it's frowned upon to raise kids in the same TOWN as a firearm. The sheeple are being led, by the ring in their nose, to voluntarily surrender their Constitutional rights... starting with the 2A.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bookman wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
3/325 wrote:

I completely disagree. I think guns have just as much of a place in schools as do footballs, baseballs, hockey sticks and cheerleading pom-poms.  I think schools should bring back shooting sports and rifle clubs.  Shooting sports teach discipline, responsibility, and safety.

...Orygunner...
Good point! I remember learning to shoot and hunt as a kid. It was the proper thing to do at the time. Now it's frowned upon to raise kids in the same TOWN as a firearm. The sheeple are being led, by the ring in their nose, to voluntarily surrender their Constitutional rights... starting with the 2A.

My local High School has a whole basement full of guns. My son learned to shoot in High School.
It's called Marine Corp. JROTC and is a competitive air rifle shooting program and range. I believe he learned more about shooting in High School than in his Naval Boot Camp :?

scoobydoo6906

imported post

In Isreal at least on school outings like field trips teacher are required to carry guns. I cant remember were I saw that at but I have seen that some place

joeroket

imported post

n15wb wrote:
Bookman wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
3/325 wrote:

...Orygunner...

My local High School has a whole basement full of guns. My son learned to shoot in High School.
It's called Marine Corp. JROTC and is a competitive air rifle shooting program and range. I believe he learned more about shooting in High School than in his Naval Boot Camp :?
Quite a number of Wa. High Schools have air rifle ranges. The CMDR at the high school in the district I work does alot of work for the matches for ROTC, regardless of the branch, and has sent a few of his kids to nationals. The RCW's even give an exemption for firearms on school grounds if it is for a ROTC group. He said he would like to bring back .22 rifles but the EPA has put so many restrictions on the range setups that it is not cost effective.

MetalChris

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
cynicist wrote:
I voted yes, but it should be CC only. Teachers aren't jailguards.
First OC is still illegal in Texas, so CC is the only way they can carry. In the article one of the students mentioned not being able to know which teachers are carrying, so again CC.
NOT AN ATTACK, JUST POINTING SOMETHING OUT. :)

IIRC, it is legal in TX to OC in your place of business. School=teacher's place of business. :)