Thread: Open Carry as a Deterrent

Post imported post

Well, sports fans, today was the first time I saw OCing really work.

My caroverheated and I had to pull over in SLC late this morning. There I was, in an industrial area at 4th West and 5th South. Not the best of neighborhoods. While I was on the phone with my husband, I noticed a couple of guys walking down the street. They passed me while looking at the steam spewing out from under my hood.

I went into condition RED:shock: anddecided to keep an eye on them since there was no one else around. Good thing too, because they stood a short ways down the street in the shade looking around and then started walking back towards my car. I watched them as they passed me again and then they turned around and did the same thing one more time.

Keeping an eye on them, I casually got out of the car, popped the hood and made sure they could see I had a gun strapped to my hip. I have never seen two men turn tail and practically run the opposite way down the street.

I was a little shook up, but managed to get my car running again. I finally made it over to my daughter's house where my husband picked me up and we got the car back home to Hooper.

Post imported post

Glad that story had a good ending, goosemama.

I'm firmly convinced that in most situations OC is better than CC for exactly that reason. If you'd been concealing, you might have been forced to draw.

Post imported post

:celebrateWELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yahooo!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

45-ACP, go back and read the story with a Georgia accent. Might sound better that way.

Centurion

Post imported post

And yet another case of the mere presence of a firearm detering crime!

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Wow! I'm glad everything turned out alright for you.

Dang punk kids thinking they had an easy target go home you losers!

Post imported post

They weren't even kids - they were grown men. That's why I was watching them so closely.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

One advantage of OCing from the get go is one gets the deterrant advantage without the risk of being accused of brandishing or disturbing the peace by physiucally taking action to expose your firearm.

Post imported post

glad this had a postive outcome for you it caused the criminal to think twice before deciding to take somthing that did not belong to them.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

The other possibility is that you chased away help...

Post imported post

goosemama wrote:

Keeping an eye on them, I casually got out of the car, popped the hood and made sure they could see I had a gun strapped to my hip. I have never seen two men turn tail and practically run the opposite way down the street.
    Exactly! They new you could defend yourself. I'm glad everything turned out as well as it did, you never know what could have happened had you not been open carrying.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

althor wrote:
    Sounds like she had her Husband on the phone and didn't need additional help...

Post imported post

althor wrote:
    Any decent person in a position to "offer help" would not behave as those men did. Law abiding citizens would approach a gun-carrying woman to help with her car even if she was armed. Only a criminal would flee a situation like that.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Other than recognizing them as a threat, getting out of the car was the best thing you did today in preventing an attack. It's good you did not cower in the car like some others would, you would have been in as bad place for these guys to attack you and for you to draw from.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    althor wrote:
    Any decent person in a position to "offer help" would not behave as those men did. Law abiding citizens would approach a gun-carrying woman to help with her car even if she was armed. Only a criminal would flee a situation like that.

Kevin
    I would, and I'm not a criminal. I would also have left when I saw that she was on the phone... that's all I really could have offered to help her with anyway if I were a pedestrian like those two men.

I also would have turned around if I saw a nervous woman with a gun eyeing me suspiciously.

Law abiding citizens call the cops on OC'ers all the time. Why would those people approach one to help?

Post imported post

althor wrote:
    Law abiding citizens call the cops on OC'ers all the time. Why would those people approach one to help?
    They might have. But they wouldn't have walked back and forth past her three times (before seeing the gun).

They weren't there to help. They were working up their nerve, until they saw the gun.

Centurion

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    althor wrote:
    They might have. But they wouldn't have walked back and forth past her three times (before seeing the gun).

They weren't there to help. They were working up their nerve, until they saw the gun.
    Matches my assessment...

I do have a little bit of knowledge about things mechanical...

Someone who has something to offer WILL NOT "case" the situation as was described!

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

goosemama wrote:
    ....I noticed a couple of guys walking down the street....
    Kudo points go to you. Well done. I am very keen on keeping 360 degree awareness at all times. Good to know the art isn't lost on all.

Post imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    goosemama wrote:
    ....I noticed a couple of guys walking down the street....
    Kudo points go to you. Well done. I am very keen on keeping 360 degree awareness at all times. Good to know the art isn't lost on all.
    Exactly!!! Normal law abiding citizens will not case a situation before helping. I would have defiantly stopped to help regardless of firearm or not. Especially since I would be carrying as well.

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    althor wrote:

+ a google plex! Those guys were up to no good!
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.