Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: police scanner on the internet, King and Spokane Counties

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post


    Sounds interesting.

    Anyone tried this? Or the archives?

    http://wa.scanamerica.us/index.php?county=King


    So far it doesn't cover my county so I'm not too interested in listening to it for long.

  2. #2
    Regular Member j2l3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    879

    Post imported post

    This is going to be interesting to listen to at work! Thanks!


    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    Cool. If I had a scanner(which I started to look for at one time) I would hook it up and feed it off my old school computer that now basically does nothing but play online lego games for my son and acts as a print server.



  4. #4
    Regular Member Gene Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    423

    Post imported post

    I was listening to the the King County archive and in that scan group I heard Kitsap (Cencom), Snohomish (SNOPAC), some ATC, coast guard.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    I have been looking at an online scanner some time ago but it never worked for me for some reason.

    Thanks for the find, thisIt saved me some money, I do not have to buy a scannernow. But as I listen to this I see how much crazy stuff these LEO deal with, these men are brave. They never know what they willrun into on a giving call. I may just stat shaking more LEO hands and thanking them for their duty.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I'm interested in buying a scanner, but I'd want something that I can take with me and get decent range(such as in my car). But also something that if I took it inside my house I could attach to a different antenna and get much more range.

    I'd hope to find something that could pick up most if not all of North Seattle, Ballard, U-district, Greenwood areas.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 911Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
    Posts
    746

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    I'm interested in buying a scanner, but I'd want something that I can take with me and get decent range(such as in my car). But also something that if I took it inside my house I could attach to a different antenna and get much more range.

    I'd hope to find something that could pick up most if not all of North Seattle, Ballard, U-district, Greenwood areas.

    You'll need a trunking scanner, used Radio Shack models sell in the $100-$150 range on ebay.

    I'd suggest a base, but a handheld would work also. If you buy new you are going to be in the $225-$250 range, I'd recommend the Uniden BCT15.

    Any of them will pick up the entire area, as well as the rest of Seattle and most of the unincorporated area of King County.


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, WA, ,
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    I have a Radioshack Pro-97. I got it off ebay for about $150 and it came with the 800Mhz antenna (helps with the trunking system here in Seattle).

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    What size antenna would get what amount of range? I'm pretty sure some of the smaller handhelds won't pick up Redmond from the Greenwood area.

    I guess this is a physics question now...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    If possible I'd love to get something that I could connect to USB and control it from a computer. I'd love to be able to get one of my linux servers to remotely control the scanner.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 911Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
    Posts
    746

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    If possible I'd love to get something that I could connect to USB and control it from a computer. I'd love to be able to get one of my linux servers to remotely control the scanner.
    I know some of the Uniden scanners can be controlled by PC, not sure which ones or what can be controlled. The Radio Shack ones dont have the ability.

    As far as antenna, Depending on your terrain, you would probably need an outdoor antenna to reliably pick up the EPSCA control channel for Eastside agencies.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,289

    Post imported post

    quentusrex,

    The antenna issue isn't so much size, but rather height over terrain. At 800 MHz, a half-wavelength antenna measures a mere 7 inches, but those frequencies are fairly directional so elevating the antenna above ground gives you better coverage.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    Cool site, makes me want to blow the dust off my scanner and reprograme it..

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    911Boss,

    You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

    I haven't purchased it yet.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 911Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
    Posts
    746

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

    You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

    I haven't purchased it yet.
    Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

    Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

    Here is some frequency info for Pierce CO.

    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...ctid=2984#cats

    Trunked scanners will also do VHF, UHF, etc, so no worries.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Edwall, Washington, USA
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    My 2M ham radio works just fine over on this side of the state. Listen to city, county, and state patrol.






  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    736

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    What size antenna would get what amount of range?
    That is a hugely complex question relying on a ton of different factors. I'll dispel one myth for you right quick though: Bigger isn't necessarily better. Once you get to a certain point, making an antenna longer actually makes it less efficient, and you have to look at other techniques to improve gain, like balancing the system impedance, raising the antenna height, using more efficient cable or switching to antennas with non-omni-directional/focused radiation patterns.

    I'm pretty sure some of the smaller handhelds won't pick up Redmond from the Greenwood area.
    Redmond police and fire is on (or at least rebroadcast on) the S-KCPS (Seattle-King County Public Safety) 800MHz Motorola Type II Trunking system, so you can listen to them anywhere you can hear one of the system's simulcasts. You can hear at least the Seattle and King simulcast from Greenwood, and probably the ESPCA silmulcast as well, so you should have no trouble monitoring Redmond with any handheld scanner capable of monitoring Moto Type II, even if you can't directly hear the Redmond-area fill-ins. If you want I can drive out there and verify; I live in Lake City near Northgate so it's just a hop across the freeway.

    Now, if you want to listen to other stuff in Redmond, like security or ambulance companies, it might be a different story.

    edit: Oops, I may be wrong about this. Seattle is set up a little different than Portland and I'm still learning the ins and outs. Looks like you may have to listen to the ESCPA simulcast, and its likely to be pretty marginal where you are on a handheld. Not that you couldn't attach a better antenna...

    I guess this is a physics question now...
    Nope, thank's the advant of trunking technology and the desire of system implementers to use wasteful silmulcasts when they are totally unnecessary, we can listen to anything, anywhere!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bellingham, ,
    Posts
    609

    Post imported post

    http://bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/


    someone in bellingham has one set up.
    (someone complain about the url text and I'll change it until then I'm leaving it so people can see where they are going)

  19. #19
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,087

    Post imported post

    911Boss wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

    You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

    I haven't purchased it yet.
    Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

    Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

    Here is some frequency info for Pierce CO.

    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...ctid=2984#cats

    Trunked scanners will also do VHF, UHF, etc, so no worries.
    Tacoma/Puyallup ARE trunked, he WILL need a trunking scanner. Some talkgroups are digital as well, so a digital scanner is best, although expensive @ ~400$
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    736

    Post imported post

    Looks like I'm wrong. I'm not hearing Redmond on Seattle or King simulcasts; only EPSCA. I'll drive out to the greenwood area and see how well it comes in there.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    Some of those scanners will become moot when we drop to the 700 band SOMETIME. Christ, I hate the 800s, especially inside buildings.

  22. #22
    Regular Member 911Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
    Posts
    746

    Post imported post

    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    911Boss wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

    You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

    I haven't purchased it yet.
    Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

    Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

    Here is some frequency info for Pierce CO.

    http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...ctid=2984#cats

    Trunked scanners will also do VHF, UHF, etc, so no worries.
    Tacoma/Puyallup ARE trunked, he WILL need a trunking scanner. Some talkgroups are digital as well, so a digital scanner is best, although expensive @ ~400$
    To clarify, Pierce CO. SO is VHF still. Given my job, I read "Co." and I think agency (Sheriff), not geographically.

    Yes TPD and some of the other agencies in the area are trunked...

  23. #23
    Regular Member 911Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
    Posts
    746

    Post imported post

    Morris wrote:
    Some of those scanners will become moot when we drop to the 700 band SOMETIME. Christ, I hate the 800s, especially inside buildings.
    Don't expect it anytime soon for the King CO. system... We don't have any money!

  24. #24
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,087

    Post imported post

    About 700... TV stations have to vacate the spectrum first.


    Whereas a transition from 800 analog to 800 digital means upgrading the current system to support digital capabilities, a move from 800 to 700 would mean entireley new infrastructure, new antennas, new sites, new equipment and programming all the way around.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    Oh, I know that but boy howdy! It's the frequency of the future!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •