Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: police scanner on the internet, King and Spokane Counties

Post imported post

Sounds interesting.

Anyone tried this? Or the archives?

http://wa.scanamerica.us/index.php?county=King

So far it doesn't cover my county so I'm not too interested in listening to it for long.

Post imported post

This is going to be interesting to listen to at work! Thanks!

CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Cool. If I had a scanner(which I started to look for at one time) I would hook it up and feed it off my old school computer that now basically does nothing but play online lego games for my son and acts as a print server.

Post imported post

I was listening to the the King County archive and in that scan group I heard Kitsap (Cencom), Snohomish (SNOPAC), some ATC, coast guard.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have been looking at an online scanner some time ago but it never worked for me for some reason.

Thanks for the find, thisIt saved me some money, I do not have to buy a scannernow. But as I listen to this I see how much crazy stuff these LEO deal with, these men are brave. They never know what they willrun into on a giving call. I may just stat shaking more LEO hands and thanking them for their duty.

Post imported post

I'm interested in buying a scanner, but I'd want something that I can take with me and get decent range(such as in my car). But also something that if I took it inside my house I could attach to a different antenna and get much more range.

I'd hope to find something that could pick up most if not all of North Seattle, Ballard, U-district, Greenwood areas.

Post imported post

quentusrex wrote:
    I'm interested in buying a scanner, but I'd want something that I can take with me and get decent range(such as in my car). But also something that if I took it inside my house I could attach to a different antenna and get much more range.

I'd hope to find something that could pick up most if not all of North Seattle, Ballard, U-district, Greenwood areas.

You'll need a trunking scanner, used Radio Shack models sell in the $100-$150 range on ebay.

I'd suggest a base, but a handheld would work also. If you buy new you are going to be in the $225-$250 range, I'd recommend the Uniden BCT15.

Any of them will pick up the entire area, as well as the rest of Seattle and most of the unincorporated area of King County.

Post imported post

I have a Radioshack Pro-97. I got it off ebay for about $150 and it came with the 800Mhz antenna (helps with the trunking system here in Seattle).

Post imported post

What size antenna would get what amount of range? I'm pretty sure some of the smaller handhelds won't pick up Redmond from the Greenwood area.

I guess this is a physics question now...

Post imported post

If possible I'd love to get something that I could connect to USB and control it from a computer. I'd love to be able to get one of my linux servers to remotely control the scanner.

Post imported post

quentusrex wrote:
    If possible I'd love to get something that I could connect to USB and control it from a computer. I'd love to be able to get one of my linux servers to remotely control the scanner.
    I know some of the Uniden scanners can be controlled by PC, not sure which ones or what can be controlled. The Radio Shack ones dont have the ability.

As far as antenna, Depending on your terrain, you would probably need an outdoor antenna to reliably pick up the EPSCA control channel for Eastside agencies.

Post imported post

quentusrex,

The antenna issue isn't so much size, but rather height over terrain. At 800 MHz, a half-wavelength antenna measures a mere 7 inches, but those frequencies are fairly directional so elevating the antenna above ground gives you better coverage.

Post imported post

Cool site, makes me want to blow the dust off my scanner and reprograme it..

Post imported post

911Boss,

You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

I haven't purchased it yet.

Post imported post

quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

Here is some frequency info for Pierce CO.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/d...ctid=2984#cats

Trunked scanners will also do VHF, UHF, etc, so no worries.

Post imported post

My 2M ham radio works just fine over on this side of the state. Listen to city, county, and state patrol.

Post imported post

quentusrex wrote:
    What size antenna would get what amount of range?
    That is a hugely complex question relying on a ton of different factors. I'll dispel one myth for you right quick though: Bigger isn't necessarily better. Once you get to a certain point, making an antenna longer actually makes it less efficient, and you have to look at other techniques to improve gain, like balancing the system impedance, raising the antenna height, using more efficient cable or switching to antennas with non-omni-directional/focused radiation patterns.

I'm pretty sure some of the smaller handhelds won't pick up Redmond from the Greenwood area.
    Redmond police and fire is on (or at least rebroadcast on) the S-KCPS (Seattle-King County Public Safety) 800MHz Motorola Type II Trunking system, so you can listen to them anywhere you can hear one of the system's simulcasts. You can hear at least the Seattle and King simulcast from Greenwood, and probably the ESPCA silmulcast as well, so you should have no trouble monitoring Redmond with any handheld scanner capable of monitoring Moto Type II, even if you can't directly hear the Redmond-area fill-ins. If you want I can drive out there and verify; I live in Lake City near Northgate so it's just a hop across the freeway.

Now, if you want to listen to other stuff in Redmond, like security or ambulance companies, it might be a different story.

edit: Oops, I may be wrong about this. Seattle is set up a little different than Portland and I'm still learning the ins and outs. Looks like you may have to listen to the ESCPA simulcast, and its likely to be pretty marginal where you are on a handheld. Not that you couldn't attach a better antenna...

I guess this is a physics question now...
    Nope, thank's the advant of trunking technology and the desire of system implementers to use wasteful silmulcasts when they are totally unnecessary, we can listen to anything, anywhere!

Post imported post

http://bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

someone in bellingham has one set up.
    (someone complain about the url text and I'll change it until then I'm leaving it so people can see where they are going)

Post imported post

911Boss wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

Tacoma/Puyallup ARE trunked, he WILL need a trunking scanner. Some talkgroups are digital as well, so a digital scanner is best, although expensive @ ~400$
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Looks like I'm wrong. I'm not hearing Redmond on Seattle or King simulcasts; only EPSCA. I'll drive out to the greenwood area and see how well it comes in there.

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA

Post imported post

Some of those scanners will become moot when we drop to the 700 band SOMETIME. Christ, I hate the 800s, especially inside buildings.

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    911Boss wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    911Boss,

Tacoma/Puyallup ARE trunked, he WILL need a trunking scanner. Some talkgroups are digital as well, so a digital scanner is best, although expensive @ ~400$
    To clarify, Pierce CO. SO is VHF still. Given my job, I read "Co." and I think agency (Sheriff), not geographically.

Yes TPD and some of the other agencies in the area are trunked...

Post imported post

Morris wrote:
    Some of those scanners will become moot when we drop to the 700 band SOMETIME. Christ, I hate the 800s, especially inside buildings.
    Don't expect it anytime soon for the King CO. system... We don't have any money!

Post imported post

About 700... TV stations have to vacate the spectrum first.

Whereas a transition from 800 analog to 800 digital means upgrading the current system to support digital capabilities, a move from 800 to 700 would mean entireley new infrastructure, new antennas, new sites, new equipment and programming all the way around.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA

Post imported post

Oh, I know that but boy howdy! It's the frequency of the future!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast