• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police scanner on the internet, King and Spokane Counties

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
911Boss wrote:
quentusrex wrote:
911Boss,

You recommended the Uniden BCT15, would that work for Pierce county as well? Such as the Tacoma/Lakewood/Fort Lewis area?

I haven't purchased it yet.

Last I checked, Pierce CO was still using VHF, and not yet on a trunked system. So the BCT15 would still work, in fact a cheaper scanner would work as well.

Eventually I imagine they will be trunked though, so you would still be good in the future if you buy a trunking scanner now.

Here is some frequency info for Pierce CO.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=2984#cats

Trunked scanners will also do VHF, UHF, etc, so no worries.

Tacoma/Puyallup ARE trunked, he WILL need a trunking scanner. Some talkgroups are digital as well, so a digital scanner is best, although expensive @ ~400$

To clarify, Pierce CO. SO is VHF still. Given my job, I read "Co." and I think agency (Sheriff), not geographically.

Yes TPD and some of the other agencies in the area are trunked...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

About 700... TV stations have to vacate the spectrum first.

Whereas a transition from 800 analog to 800 digital means upgrading the current system to support digital capabilities, a move from 800 to 700 would mean entireley new infrastructure, new antennas, new sites, new equipment and programming all the way around.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Gimme a multi-site APCO-25 compliant VHF system any day....

Ya know, what the military is building across the country...

Key up @ Pax River NAS in Maryland and talk to someone @ Fort Lewis, WA.

Gotta love it.

What ever happened to COTHERN? :celebrate

grishnav

imported post

Morris wrote:
Some of those scanners will become moot when we drop to the 700 band SOMETIME. Christ, I hate the 800s, especially inside buildings.
My scanner (Pro 164) is re-banded and ready for 700; it just doesn't do P25. :'(

I'm saving up for a nice BC that does P25, LTR, and all the other stuff I want/need...

Let's hope they don't go encrypted when they go 700!

quentusrex

imported post

Alright, so it sounds like the Uniden BCT15 can do both the trunked Moto II, and 'the older ones too'. Am I wrong?

I don't mind spending a little bit more on a scanner if I can pick up both the 'old stuff' and the 'new stuff' :)

-William

quentusrex

imported post

I have finally after a year of searching have purchased a BCT15X.

Anyone know the (interesting) Tacoma frequencies? And anyone know how to program it by hand? I am waiting on a usb->serial adapter to be delivered. I didn't realise that I didn't have a serial port on the house until I got the scanner...

quentusrex

imported post

Alright, for anyone who knows the system. I've Created a 'System' called "Tacoma Area" with 'Groups' Called "Lakewood", "Tacoma", "Puyallup", with frequencies in each group that are in those cities. But I can't seem to get the scanner to scan that 'System'...

It keeps scanning Custom 10, Ham Radio, and a couple others.... I just want to get it to scan my 'System'. Any ideas?

Edit:

NVM. Found out how to program it. Now I'm just looking for the correct Tacoma digits. I can hear lakewood, but not anything in Tacoma...