• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Joplin and Webb City area

josh_scci

imported post

I am in the process of raising funds to take the CC course and get the permit. But if I have the choice I would prefer to OC anyway but after checking municode I am not clear on the Joplin ordinance as it says I quote "Carries concealed upon or about his person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use.". And Webb City is not listed and the local PD is a bunch of overzealous clowns I am not sure what I can do. I do carry in my car as there is nothing anyone can do about that but I hate to disarm to run to get some milk for my baby or whatever. I have been around firearms since I can remember and it just seems like and extension of myself that is being taken away when I have to leave it behind. I have a wife and 2 daughters to think about and meth heads are prevalent in this area. Can someone clear this up for me?

josh_scci

imported post

I just found this online so I am not sure how reliable and if I understand it correctly but here it is.

Missouri: 21.750

1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance, or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

[Subsection 3 does permit regulation of open carrying of firearms, if such law is exactly like the state law.]

Does the bold section not say that local ordinances can only be exactly like the state law which in Missouri OC is perfectly legal according to state law?

josh_scci

imported post

OK after several hours searching through the city ordinances I found Webb City does ban OC. It is section 215-250 of the city code. But I am still not sure about Joplin does anybody know for sure?