• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel Report: Carrying in checked baggage

3/325

imported post

This past weekend I attended a small, informal reunion for Paratroopers in North Carolina (had a great time, by the way). Part of the festivities included a shooting competition (where I placed second and won a hat :cool:) so I had to travel with my pistol.

Not much to report here. I flew Seattle to Raleigh Durham (NC) with a layover in Denver. I was transporting a Glock pistol in its original case.

1. SEA: checked in at the counter and declared my firearm (already secured in the suitcase per TSA regs). After being processed, the attendant directed me to the TSA counter. I was directed to open the bag, remove the case, open the case, and not make contact with the weapon. The agent verified the weapon was unloaded, wiped the bag with some kind of swab (presumably for explosive residue, I don't know). He had me lock up the case, place it back in the suitcase. At that time he took possession of it and that was that.

2. DEN: the layover had me changing flights, but it was the same airline so I did not retake possession of my checked luggage.

3. RDU: arrived and checked with the airline office next to baggage claim, expecting my suitcase to be set aside because of the firearm. I was told that they only pull out luggage that is clearly made for a weapon (e.g., a rifle case). If the weapon is stowed in an ordinary suitcase, they put it on the carousel with the rest of the bags. I got my bag, did a quick (and inconspicuous) inspection, and all was well.

The return trip; flying RDU to Nashville to SEA

1. RDU: checked in at the counter and declared the firearm. As before, I was processed and directed to the TSA counter. This time, however, they took the bag behind a divider and inspected it. According to TSA's own policy, the inspection is supposed to take place in my presence. I very politely made a note of this, they left the bag where it was and brought the Glock case over to me. I wasn't allowed to touch it (which is fine) but they opened it for my visual inspection and then locked it in front of me, handing me the key afterward. I wasn't 100% happy, but my primary concern had been met.

2. Nashville: change flight, same airline, no problems.

3. SEA: went to baggage claim, picked up my bag, verified the contents, and went home.

Other than the minor stumble at RDU, there were no problems. As an added bonus, NC has CPL reciprocity with WA.

Bear 45/70

imported post

When the wife has to fly (she much prefers the train)back to Michigan to see her mother, she always take her handgun. Never had a problem. Michigan also has reciprocity with WA.

thewise1

imported post

Flew to Alaska on vacation a few weeks ago. Took my AR15 and my .22 marlin with me in a big conspicuous black pelican rifle case that had the foam you can cut out to make cavities for your rifles.

Never having flown with firearms before, I checked in at the airline counter and they sent me to seatac's station two to check the firearms with the unloaded firearm declaration slip. They asked me to open the case and insert it - which I did.

The reactions of the passersby was amusing; One guy said "wow cool, what is that?" but a passing woman loudly told her husband as they walked away that "people like that make me nervous, trying to compensate for something". I didn't hear his response.

They took it behind the opaque glass to inspect it - I didn't know that I was supposed to be able to watch - and the rifle case was cleared with no trouble. However, I did have an ammo box as well - specifically marked that it was designed for ammo - with bags of sorted ammunition in it. Some .22, some wolf 5.56mm, and some federal 5.56mm. The TSA guy came out and asked me "you can't carry ammo in plastic bags?".

I pointed out that the plastic bags were all inside an "ammo" case and he called over his manager. 20 minutes later the manager came back out from behind the glass and told me I was good.

Coming back from Alaska - The flight reps in Bethel, Alaska - 300 people or so pop - just wanted to know what I was packing and if they could see them (to admire, not inspect).

I really liked Alaska a lot. :\

bcp

imported post

First time I have ever heard of anyone going TO Bethel for vacation.

:shock:

Bruce

thewise1

imported post

bcp wrote:
First time I have ever heard of anyone going TO Bethel for vacation.

:shock:

Bruce
Hah. I actually went to Platinum, but Bethel is where we got back on a normal big airlines flight instead of the cessna type.

2 weeks of hunting, fishing, tooling around on the quads, boating, etc. I almost hate myself for coming back to Seattle.

flagwaver

imported post

If you liked bethel AK. (the a-hole of the world) you would fall in love withCraig, on Prince of Wales island (just a short ferry ride from Ketchikan).

I never went for a walk with-out seeing at least 3-4 black bear. They leave you alone, ( most of the time):what:I carry a riot12 gagewith staggered slug and 0-0 with spares. Work hardened copper slugs are best if you can find any.

Alaska air is very good about guns as long as you follow the rules.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Other than not being able to carry in the Nashville airport my trip back east was uneventful as well.

I was at Seatac today to send the kids off to their mom in New York. I made it through security wearing my new Glaco leather holster and double mag pouch. Lots of stares waiting for their flight to leave to leave the gate.

jchen012

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Other than not being able to carry in the Nashville airport my trip back east was uneventful as well.

I was at Seatac today to send the kids off to their mom in New York. I made it through security wearing my new Glaco leather holster and double mag pouch. Lots of stares waiting for their flight to leave to leave the gate.

How did you go through security? Don't they require a boarding pass to go through security... I'm confused...

Anyhow I have flown alot and been to most of the airports with my Sig... from all my experiences, Seatac is probably the easiest and most painless... perhaps they are used to so many people checking in firearms? Also all of my positive experiences were mostly with Alaska Air, so props to them. I've had problems at JFK, Houston, Denver, and Boston... small problems such as "Do you have a permit for this gun?" WTF? Anyhow props to Port of Seattle... now if only their officers would be educated about OC I would be a happy camper!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

How did you go through security? Don't they require a boarding pass to go through security... I'm confused...
As the kids fly unaccompained I get a bording pass to get thru security. Had to lock up the gun and extra mags in the truck but I wore the empty holsters and my Persian Gulf hat with pins thru the metal detector. Not one issue.

MetalChris

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
Snip They asked me to open the case and insert it - which I did.
When I flew out of Sea-Tac back in December, I did the same thing. The TSA ninnie that inspected the case told me that I could go to prison since I didn'tattach the slipto the outside of the case.

God, I hate the TSA.

thewise1

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
When I flew out of Sea-Tac back in December, I did the same thing. The TSA ninnie that inspected the case told me that I could go to prison since I didn'tattach the slipto the outside of the case.

God, I hate the TSA.
A bunch of jack booted thugs. Retarded thugs.

Sorry, LEO, but I doubt most of you class them among yourselves anyway :eek:

vote_no

imported post

flagwaver wrote:
Alaska air is very good about guns as long as you follow the rules.
Everywhere in Alaska is very good about guns. What an awesome state; it's nice to have two examples of unrestricted CCW instead of just one.

The only problems I've ever had from the TSA are glares and impatience. At least I can do it at all, which I can't say for Amtrak.

Gene Beasley

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
Anyhow props to Port of Seattle... now if only their officers would be educated about OC I would be a happy camper!
It's amazing how an incident can get dropped from the first page and thus from my fleeting memory. I'm sure Mainsail will update when there is something, but this reminded me that; oh yeah, POS PD needs a come to Jesus moment.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/14720.html