• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Leandro Optimist Range STEEL SHOOT Monday!

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

(This is GREAT for OC'rs, Practice from the Holster!)

I hope this isn't against the rules, if so I'm sorry in advance. (also posted on Cal Guns)

I don't work for this range and I'm not in the Optimist Club but I do go to the steel shoot every Saturday Night. As far as my limited knowledge goes this range is the only I know of in the bay area that does this. Outside in the "Back Yard" portion of the range they set up steel plates and poppers on 3 "bays" (??) for shooting. You shoot FROM A HOLSTER! Gun Holster and Mag Holsters are required. If you don't have a gun holster you can have somebody hold your gun case and draw from that. There is a GUN table and a AMMO table behind the shooting line. You can only un holster and mess around with your gun at the GUN table. You can only load and handle mags at the AMMO table. otherwise you can walk around holstered (UNLOADED) up ready to go until it is your turn to shoot.

Bay 1 (I'm making the name up)
The first to the far right has 4 steel plates with a small popper in the middle. the distance varies from 5-15 yards on these targets. This is the bay that they start all the first timers out on to see if you have enough experience to shoot the rest of the steel shoot bays. You have to "Qualify" on this first bay now. I don't know the full criteria for the qualification but I believe it's just showing you can hit all the targets or a reasonable amount with no more then 20 rounds.

Bay 2 (Or should I be saying Shooting Lane??? Hmmmm lol)

Bay 2 which is directly next to Bay 1 has this rack thing; I think it's called some kind of horse something?? They use them in comps. Anyway it is a straight rack with 6 or 8 white round steel plates on it that fall when hit. The rack has a remote cord on it that somebody pulls to get the plates back up from behind the firing line after you knock them down. This rack is about 11 yards out I think.

Bay 3 is the big boy. This is 20-25 yards out, you will be shooting at a awning type setup that has a rail with 13 steel SMALL rectangular plates, and 6 multi sized Poppers. This bay is a lot different because it is meant for 2 shooters at the same time. It is setup competition style but you don't have to be trying to beat the other shooter. The way this works is, one shooter to the left of the bay and one shooter to the right of it. the shooter on the left gets the Left 3 Poppers and gets the Left 6 Steel Plates. The Shooter on the Right gets the Right 3 Poppers and the Right 6 Steal plates. whoever gets all there plates down first can shot the 13th steel plate which is a slightly bigger YELLOW plate in the middle of the left and right six plates (Tie Breaker Plate). If you get all of your poppers and plates down and still have ammo you can shoot at a BIG torso cut out steel plate to the side that makes a very pleasing ring when you hit it.

All 3 bays start and stop at the same time. They start by the Range masters instruction and by the use of a Competition Timer Buzzer (lol). Once you do this, you won't be shooting inside too much more. This is SOOOOO fun that it will probably be made illegal.

The steel shoot it Usually EVERY SATURDAY 6PM-10PM

But this coming MONDAY they are having a ALL DAY steel shoot from 9AM-5PM for the holiday. I hear that there will be a Bar B Q at 12 noon also.

I live a few miles away from this range and love it so I'm just trying to spread the word and help them out. They are VERY friendly and VERY safety Minded. There are a lot of SAFE EXPEREINCED regulars and staff that help you out, keep you safe, and get you on point without even asking. If you are in or around the Bay area come check it out!

Oh and let me ad that it is $13.00 per shooter and they have Eye and Ear protection for rental. It doesn't matter if you suck or if you are a pistol stud. All types of skill levels are out there and learning. there is no huge Ego's walking around, if you don't hit the plates oh well try again nobody will look down on you, very friendly environment.

San Leandro Optimist Riffle and Pistol Range (Located in the East Bay)
http://slrange.tripod.com/