Thread: Legal Camping Carry

Post imported post

Does anyone know of a listing of camp grounds around KY where it is legal to OC/CC? If not is there interest to start one here?

My wife and I like to camp and have always been concerned with safety while out in the woods. After our last trip to Turkeyfoot we will not be camping again without decent protection available. We like Turkeyfoot but may never go there again, which is a shame.

Cy

Post imported post

I haven't heard of any law in the state of Kentucky banning the possession of firearms, openly or concealed, at any park. I also don't know of any law giving park administrators the authority to prohibit the carrying of firearms.

This is of course assuming you are talking about a state run area and not a federally run area, in which case federal laws would apply. Also if the park/campground is privately owned then it'd be up to the owner.

Post imported post

I've concealed carry at Pennyrile Forrest State Park and Land Between the Lakes many times, without issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

catass wrote:
    I've concealed carry at Pennyrile Forrest State Park and Land Between the Lakes many times, without issues.
    http://www.lbl.org/RULESGeneral.html

1. Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.
      It is part of the USDA Forest Service.

Post imported post

I know National Forests are OK but its not always easy to figure out where some of these places are and what the rules are. I was hoping some people could list places they have been camping and already checked out.

Cy

Post imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
    I haven't heard of any law in the state of Kentucky banning the possession of firearms, openly or concealed, at any park. I also don't know of any law giving park administrators the authority to prohibit the carrying of firearms.

This is of course assuming you are talking about a state run area and not a federally run area, in which case federal laws would apply. Also if the park/campground is privately owned then it'd be up to the owner.
    This is your answer.

Post imported post

Land Between the Lakes.
    Be aware that the TVA (Tennessees Valley Authority) does ban the possession of weapons in certain areas. Sorry for the bad pic but the sign was not my primary concern when taking this picture.

Post imported post

reefteach wrote:
    catass wrote:
    http://www.lbl.org/RULESGeneral.html

1. Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.
    I hate to be rude, but "and ...."

I'm not condoning(sp?) breaking the law, nor am I saying I do, however I know what MY carry policy isand I am going to carry my gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.

Come to Washington State for a visit. While visiting City, County, State, National Forests & National Parks one is free to legally carry concealed or open.

<edit> National Park change