• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Camping Carry

Cyklopz

imported post

Does anyone know of a listing of camp grounds around KY where it is legal to OC/CC? If not is there interest to start one here?

My wife and I like to camp and have always been concerned with safety while out in the woods. After our last trip to Turkeyfoot we will not be camping again without decent protection available. We like Turkeyfoot but may never go there again, which is a shame.

Cy

N00blet45

imported post

I haven't heard of any law in the state of Kentucky banning the possession of firearms, openly or concealed, at any park. I also don't know of any law giving park administrators the authority to prohibit the carrying of firearms.

This is of course assuming you are talking about a state run area and not a federally run area, in which case federal laws would apply. Also if the park/campground is privately owned then it'd be up to the owner.

reefteach

imported post

catass wrote:
I've concealed carry at Pennyrile Forrest State Park and Land Between the Lakes many times, without issues.

http://www.lbl.org/RULESGeneral.html

1. Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.
    It is part of the USDA Forest Service.

Cyklopz

imported post

I know National Forests are OK but its not always easy to figure out where some of these places are and what the rules are. I was hoping some people could list places they have been camping and already checked out.

Cy

reefteach

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
I haven't heard of any law in the state of Kentucky banning the possession of firearms, openly or concealed, at any park. I also don't know of any law giving park administrators the authority to prohibit the carrying of firearms.

This is of course assuming you are talking about a state run area and not a federally run area, in which case federal laws would apply. Also if the park/campground is privately owned then it'd be up to the owner.
This is your answer.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Land Between the Lakes.
Be aware that the TVA (Tennessees Valley Authority) does ban the possession of weapons in certain areas. Sorry for the bad pic but the sign was not my primary concern when taking this picture.

FightingGlock19

imported post

reefteach wrote:
catass wrote:
I've concealed carry at Pennyrile Forrest State Park and Land Between the Lakes many times, without issues.

http://www.lbl.org/RULESGeneral.html

1. Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.

I hate to be rude, but "and ...."

I'm not condoning(sp?) breaking the law, nor am I saying I do, however I know what MY carry policy isand I am going to carry my gun.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates.

Come to Washington State for a visit. While visiting City, County, State, National Forests & National Parks one is free to legally carry concealed or open.

<edit> National Park change