• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification on shipping

Hammer

imported post

Here's my question: Can I without an FFL ship direct to an out-of-state FFL dealer? Do I need a copy of their FFL to do this?
Or am I obliged to take a modern firearm to my FFL dealer to ship to one out-of-state?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

You can ship directly providing:

1- They will accept from an individual (some choose not to).

2- You use UPS or FedEx overnight service (UPS/FedEx rule, not law).

You do not have to have a copy of the FFL to ship, but for your protection you should get one or at least the FFL info so you can confirm it using the ATF EzCheck website.

Sometimes it is cheaper to let an FFL ship it out. FFL's can send via the US Mail (non FFL's cannot). UPS/FedEx overnight is especially expensive right now with the fuel surcharges (adding as much as $20 to the cost). If the firearm will fit in the flat rate ($12.95) USPS Priority box, it can be pretty reasonable. I recently sent out a handgun via an FFL for $42 ($25 fee, $17 postage w/insurance). It would have been over $80 to send via FedEx.

If you go the FFL route, they will generally want a copy of receiving FFL license (fax/email copies are ok).

bcp

imported post

Rifles or shotguns can ship USPS from individual to FFL, also, FFL willing as above.

Bruce

Bear 45/70

imported post

Long guns do not need to go overnight air, only handguns. Long guns can go by truck. I just had to ship my new Marlin 1894 back to Marlin for a feed jam issue. It took a week but only cost $17 as apposed to the last pistol I shipped which was about $70 for the overnight flight.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Can someone post a citation for these rules please?

I seem to remember, years ago, that one could ship a long gun to oneself if, for instance, you were going hunting out-of-state and didn't want to carry the gun with you. That may have changed, or simply be incorrect, since I can't find any reference.

Please correct me and give a citation.

Many thanks.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Go to the ATF web site, the rules are posted there. You can ship a gun to yourself in care of another person. I have done this several times when going out of state for a hunt. The big thing is the person "in care of" cannot open the package.(?)

Jim

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Can someone post a citation for these rules please?

I seem to remember, years ago, that one could ship a long gun to oneself if, for instance, you were going hunting out-of-state and didn't want to carry the gun with you. That may have changed, or simply be incorrect, since I can't find any reference.

Please correct me and give a citation.

Many thanks.
Well, I will tell you what I go by. FedEx. I take the gun to them and they have made the determination of how to ship it. Hence, I figure they will not be violating any laws while doing it following their corporate policies. Looking thru federal laws makes the state RCWs look like an afternoon picnic with a good bookand the ATF is like the IRS, even if they tell you something, they can decide it is wrong and hang your butt for following their advice. Look at the guy in jail for a dirty AR doubling off some rounds. ATF used to say that this didn't make a weapon a machine gun. It does now.

Ajetpilot

imported post

(When clicking on any of the following links, be very, very pacient. The ATF website is so slow taht you will think you have taken a step back in time to dial-up days. Click the link; go make a sandwich; when you return you might have the page displayed.)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Jim. Good suggestion. Here is the ATF website for firearms:

http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/index.htm

Here is an excellent source of general info reguarding firearms:

http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm

Here is where I found the answer to shipping questions:

http://atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

And here is the answer to my question:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other

lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the

State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package

should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package

and take possession of the firearm.

Hammer

imported post

OK, next iteration:
I found a Ruger Old Army cross-country. Does that require an FFL to ship? It'd be a modern black-powder arm, so off to chase rules again....

Hammer

imported post

Code:
OK, 18USC Section 921 defines antique firearm:

(16) The term "antique firearm" means - 

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock,
flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system)
manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if
such replica - 

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or

conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition

which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which

is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial

trade; or

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle
loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black
powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

Now, to find out if an "antique firearm" reqires FFL shipping. I kinda remember not....

Edit: Found the rest:
'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof.

kparker

imported post

'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof.

Hey, wait--does this mean I should be able to buy a Marlin 1895 in 45/70, or an 1894 as long as it's chambered in .45 Colt and not that newfangled .357, and have it shipped to my door? If not, why not?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Because the ammunition is commercially available in the United States and through normal channels of trade.

I wonder how "commercially available" and "normal channels of trade" are defined though. I have a rifle in 6.5x53r which also was built in 1896 so I'm covered by antique anyhow, but rifles in that chambering were built through WWII. Good luck finding any ammo though. Old Western Scrounger makes some with modded .303 brit cases or with brass imported from Australia at an insane price, or also offers Aussie produced ammo with the correct headstamp, but again at a huge price. I could argue that 6.5x53r is not commercially produced in this country, but rather in very small batches nor is available through normal channels of trade in that I have to special order it through a specialty shop, but who knows.

OTOH I don't see too many drive bys with old Dutch Mannlicher rifles so perhaps the ATF doesn't care.

Hammer

imported post

I don't think so. As I read it earlier, it only applied to NON-cartridge firearms, meant originally for black powder. Tho .45LC and .45/70 were black powder, they were cartridge arms, not cap and ball or muzzleload.

kparker wrote:

Hey, wait--does this mean I should be able to buy a Marlin 1895 in 45/70, or an 1894 as long as it's chambered in .45 Colt and not that newfangled .357, and have it shipped to my door? If not, why not?

Hammer

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
OTOH I don't see too many drive bys with old Dutch Mannlicher rifles so perhaps the ATF doesn't care.
Shhh
Don't give the gang-bangers ideas....
They'll be out scooping up Martini-Henry falling blocks :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:

Can you say cross bolt safety? Beside the new 1894 and 1895 are not the same as the original 1894 and 1895. The original 1895 ceased production in 1915. The new1895 is based off the Model 336 which is based on the Model 1936, first built in 1936. The original 1894 ceased production in 1934. The new Model 1894 began production in 1969.

kparker

imported post

Yeah, I forgot the part about center-fire chamberings having to be for obsolete calibers before it's considered an antique.

And Bear's got a good point--while one could argue that minor "safety" upgrades* don't invalidate something being a replica, when the party you're arguing with is the BATF, well..... you basically don't want to have that argument, do you?

[line]*Not trying to start an argument about cross-bolt safeties on lever-action rifles, really I'm not--I even put scare-quotes around the word "safety".

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
Yeah, I forgot the part about center-fire chamberings having to be for obsolete calibers before it's considered an antique.

And Bear's got a good point--while one could argue that minor "safety" upgrades* don't invalidate something being a replica, when the party you're arguing with is the BATF, well..... you basically don't want to have that argument, do you?

[line]
*Not trying to start an argument about cross-bolt safeties on lever-action rifles, really I'm not--I even put scare-quotes around the word "safety".
On the Levergun and Marlin forums the majority "dislike" the "Cross Bolt Safety". TheCBS even has a kit available to remove it from the gun. I have with and without andMarlins and don't really have an issue with it, at least yet. The ones that really hate it are the guys who have dropped a hammer on the CBS and missed a deer because of their forgetfulness.