Thread: A new thought...

Post imported post

While reading some of the posts here regarding answers to be given when someone asks the, seemingly inevitable, question "Why are you carrying a gun", a thought has occured to me...(shocking, I know)

One of the most common answers that people suggest is "Because it is my right to do so". However, some might see that as slightly provocative. How about, instead, we give them the answer "Because it is EVERYONES right to do so". By saying that, we are basically saying that we are exercising *their* rights.

It seems to me that would place an anti-gunner in quite a conundrum. To argue against it, they would basically have to deny *their own* rights.

I also think it would go over well with anyone overhearing the conversation, because at that point, we are seen to be upholding everyones rights, not just our own.

Just a random thought. Interesting the difference one small word might make.

Anyone else have any ideas on how we might "tweak" our answers, to maybe win a few more hearts and minds?

Grimstar

Post imported post

Good point. Very good point.

'Hard to overcome the ever-present disinformation spewed by the media tho...

Such stuff as 'permits'... 'license'... 'registration' they're so fond of bandying about... even in areas where such stuff is non-existant.

Post imported post

As much as I want to say something clever or smart, I am generally so surprised that someone has asked me about my gun that what generally comes out of my mouth is "Because I can, and I like to have it with me". Most of the time it ends there, occasionally they will ask about permits. Not exactly winning hearts and minds, but it ends up getting the job doesn I suppose.

Post imported post

wow grimstar...with a simply replacement of a word you took a statement i never much cared for to one that actually has some gravitas.

"Because I can" always seemed reminiscent to of some petulant child crying out "CUZ I SAID SO" or the like. Not that it isnt completely true, it is our right...but the diction of the statement always grated me.

But by adding that it is EVERYONE's right you take it from petulant child to learned philosopher. Not speaking in the first person "I" but rather in the communal "WE" both consciously and subconsciously translates to the other person that even though we may be different, with our thoughts, ideals and actions, we are still human beings and as such, these god given rights we share and make us neighbors.

I love it :celebrate

Post imported post

More good points. 'Glad I joined this group... I know what the AZ law is... but many don't. Not even many of those born here.

OC does not equate to 'gun violence'... 'n enther does legal CC. Yeah... we still have shootings... but it's the usual suspects. Druggies... robbers 'n illegals. If more citizens carried... I think that would drop also.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well..............you people do realize, I hope, that this sort of deep phylisophical thought process will make it more difficult to maintain our reputations as knuckle dragging barbarions.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME :what:

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Well..............you people do realize, I hope, that this sort of deep phylisophical thought process will make it more difficult to maintain our reputations as knuckle dragging barbarions.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME¬*¬* :what:

¬*
    Don't worry, for that to happen we'll have to learn to spell "philosophical" correctly first. :P

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Besides, it is everyone's right to drag our knuckles. I'm just practicing.

Good suggestion grimstar.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:

HAVE YOU NO SHAME :what:

Don't worry, for that to happen we'll have to learn to spell "philosophical" correctly first. :P
    In knuckle dragger, I did spell it correct. :P

Can also be spelt philysofikle, or fileesofeckle:P:P:P

I'm a knuckle draggin' scholar, ya know. :quirky

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

grimstar wrote:
    While reading some of the posts here regarding answers to be given when someone asks the, seemingly inevitable, question "Why are you carrying a gun", a thought has occured to me...(shocking, I know)

One of the most common answers that people suggest is "Because it is my right to do so". However, some might see that as slightly provocative. How about, instead, we give them the answer "Because it is EVERYONES right to do so". By saying that, we are basically saying that we are exercising *their* rights.

It seems to me that would place an anti-gunner in quite a conundrum. To argue against it, they would basically have to deny *their own* rights.

I also think it would go over well with anyone overhearing the conversation, because at that point, we are seen to be upholding everyones rights, not just our own.

Just a random thought. Interesting the difference one small word might make.

Anyone else have any ideas on how we might "tweak" our answers, to maybe win a few more hearts and minds?

Grimstar
    It may be everyones right, but rights can be lost as in felons being denied firearms. So it would be better to say "it's most everyones right" That way you avoid the all or none debate mistake. You also avoid the antis comeback what about felons???
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    It may be everyones right, but rights can be lost as in felons being denied firearms. So it would be better to say "it's most everyones right" That way you avoid the all or none debate mistake. You also avoid the antis comeback what about felons???
    "It is the right of every American citizenlegitimately able to do so." Howzat?

I used 'able' rather than 'allowed'... cuz I was born 'allowed'. The 2A only recognizes that fact.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Venator wrote:

I used 'able' rather than 'allowed'... cuz I was born 'allowed'. The 2A only recognizes that fact.
    How about the using the word Our, rather than everyone or almost everyone.

This will open you to the counter of what do you mean by "our"?

to which you might reply with, "all free, law-abiding Americans, LIKE YOU AND I"

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Good suggestions here. I never cared for the selfish-sounding "Because it's my right" answer either. Thanks, Grimstar.

Post imported post

MikeV wrote:
    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Venator wrote:

to which you might reply with, "all free, law-abiding Americans, LIKE YOU AND I"
    What's the status of 75-80 these days? I was there on the final day... (sniff...) Bill Wilcom still have that bar on the corner or did that close too?

Post imported post

Grimstar said:

"One of the most common answers that people suggest is "Because it is my right to do so". However, some might see that as slightly provocative. How about, instead, we give them the answer "Because it is EVERYONES right to do so". By saying that, we are basically saying that we are exercising *their* rights."

I like the inclusive concept here, but I have to agree with Venator in that "EVERYONE" may be a bit too broad. The only rights that you can accurately assert are your own, so as not appear selfish (i.e. It's my right to do so), perhaps the response "It's a right recognized by the constitution" might be more accommodating.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    MikeV wrote:
    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Venator wrote:

What's the status of 75-80 these days? I was there on the final day... (sniff...) Bill Wilcom still have that bar on the corner or did that close too?
    75-80 Is nothing but a weed filled parking lot these day. What ever they are planning to do with it hasn't been started yet. Wilcome's Inn is still open. You know I thought that was a play on the word Welcome, as in Welcome In. Didn't know that it was the owner's name. Thanks for the Education. Can I count this against my goal to learn something new each day?

Post imported post

I like the line of thinking that this statement causes. As I was reading the thread, I came up with "It's every law-abiding citizen's right to do so...".

I think someone said that already though.

Post imported post

Here's a response I like:

"Because everybody has the right to self defense."

I could just leave it at that. But if I wanted to add to it, I could follow it up with:

"I choose to carry a handgun because I am responsible for mylife and the lives of my family, andit's the most effective tool for the job."

That way it covers that EVERYONE has a right, and that I choose a firearm.

...Orygunner...

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    Here's a response I like:

"Because everybody has the right to self defense."

I could just leave it at that. But if I wanted to add to it, I could follow it up with:

"I choose to carry a handgun because I am responsible for mylife and the lives of my family, andit's the most effective tool for the job."

That way it covers that EVERYONE has a right, and that I choose a firearm.

...Orygunner...
    How about..."It is the DUTY of EVERY citizen of a free state to provide a means for self-defense of his person and his county from enemies both foreign and domestic" Too long?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

grimstar wrote:
    Because it is EVERYONES right to do so.
    Holy crap, that's BRILLIANT!

Venator wrote:
    How about..."It is the DUTY of EVERY citizen of a free state to provide a means for self-defense of his person and his county from enemies both foreign and domestic" Too long?
    No, but to some people, that sounds too much like work. :X
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Recently, a group of about 20 of us decided to go to an open carry lunch just to see what the crowd in the restraunt would think. We went to the Denny's in Augusta, Maine. I was amazed at the results. The waitress asked us where she could get reliable lessons in using a hand gun and where she might find an affordable gun. She also wants to teach her 7 year old son to use one responsibly. Another gentleman having his lunch asked if he could sit with us and had a lot of questions about the laws. Only one couple asked the waitress if they could sit at a different location in the busy restraunt. I saw them at the counter later. I hope they felt more comfortable there than with us.