• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wa citizen ocing in Idaho

Hiredgun30

imported post

no problemo amigo....

heres what the law says.. http://www.idaho.gov title 18 chapter 33

Code:
While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any
city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person
without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any
firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded.
A firearm may
be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled
or unloaded.
Code:
Brickey Vs. idaho (1902) -made o.c. Legal...

David.Car

imported post

So if I was driving across the border for gas, and happened to be CC that day. If I took the firearm out of the holster and set it in plain view on the passenger seat it would be all good?

Slugger

imported post

You know after I got back from my trip, I ran across something that said that Idaho would honor WA CPL

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/403.cfm

I'll be checking deeper into the law but it appears to be true. I thought reciprocity meant that both states would honor each others . . . so why has WA not pulled it's head out for Montana and Idaho? Shoot, all of them for that matter.

Slugger

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Yes, thats what the word reciprocity means. We don't have reciprocity with all states here (meaning it doesn't go both ways), but we do recognize any states license here. Yes, this means you can CC in my state, but I can't CC in yours.

Hiredgun30

imported post

heres what idaho law says.. slugger...

Code:
[code] Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law
enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A
permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit
is in the licensee's physical possession.
[/code]

Slugger

imported post

Thanks for the clarification! By chance can you tell me what article/section this is?

I appologize for the lawmakers of my state. Bunch of worthless (*&^%*&^%

Slugger

Shy_Panda

imported post

Washington doesn't recgonize Idaho's permit because 18 yo's can get one and in Washington you have to be 21 so they will not recgonize a permit from a state with laxer laws aka more freedom than Washington.

BrianEMT

imported post

David.Car wrote:
So if I was driving across the border for gas, and happened to be CC that day. If I took the firearm out of the holster and set it in plain view on the passenger seat it would be all good?
No problem whatsoever. Just make sure you don't get it stolen!

BrianEMT

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Washington doesn't recgonize Idaho's permit because 18 yo's can get one and in Washington you have to be 21 so they will not recgonize a permit from a state with laxer laws aka more freedom than Washington.
Not true. You must also be 21 years of age to obtain your CCW in any Idaho county. But yes, they will not recognize a permit from a state with more freedom, they are worse than Oregon! :banghead:

American Rattlesnake

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
Not true. You must also be 21 years of age to obtain your CCW in any Idaho county. But yes, they will not recognize a permit from a state with more freedom, they are worse than Oregon! :banghead:
How is WA worse than OR? The state that recognizes NO other permits and is "May-Issue" to nonresidents?

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
A correction guys. Idaho only issues as standard practice to 21 year olds and up. However, Idaho has a clause that those 18-20 may be issued a permit at the discretion of the Sheriff - though I don't know of even one case of this, and know of several very compelling cases where it was turned down!

Yes, Washington is worse than Idaho, but better than OR. WA, while an OC state, only respects WA CWPs, but has an easy non-resident (though you have to apply in person) program to get your permit. OC is preemtion covered, which is also good.

OR only respects OR permits, and will issue non-resident permits to residents of states touching Oregon by law, though in practice it's a VERY restricted may-issue with lots of stupid hoops to jump through... despite being in violation of state law, it seems most of the Sheriffs are getting away with it. Also while OC is generally ok, some "home rule" legalities allow many of the larger cities (Portland, Beaverton, Salem, etc) to ban OC... unless you have a CWP... then you're legal to OC.

On this basis, WA is actually better on two counts than OR (OC legal everywhere and non-res permits as shall-issue to everyone).
Though WA and OR both allow silencer/suppressor ownership, WA does not let you use the silencer/suppressor! Negative one there.

Phssthpok

imported post

It's entirely legal to OC in Oregon. Yes, even in Portland.....of course without a CWP you have to make sure that not only is the firearm unloaded, but also the magazine.:?

Hubby_MC

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
It's entirely legal to OC in Oregon. Yes, even in Portland.....of course without a CWP you have to make sure that not only is the firearm unloaded, but also the magazine.:?
Let me get this right. With a Concealed Weapons Permit you must unload the weapon to carry? I can however open carry loaded? This makes no sense whatsoever.:shock: Wow:what:

shad0wfax

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:

However, Washington will issue a non-resident permit to an Idaho resident with no hassle whatsoever.

Idaho will NOT honor a Washington CPL in use by an Idaho resident though; If you are an Idaho resident, you must have an Idaho CPL to carry concealed in Idaho.

EDIT: wow, sorry for the necro: didn't realize this thread was so old until afterI responded.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Idaho will NOT honor a Washington CPL in use by an Idaho resident though; If you are an Idaho resident, you must have an Idaho CPL to carry concealed in Idaho.
Could you provide a cite for this, please? My understanding of ID law is that ID honors out of state permits for residents.

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=180330002.K
(12) The requirement to secure a license to carry a concealed weapon under this section shall not apply to the following persons:

(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit is in the licensee's physical possession.