• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Mi

ackzun

imported post

I just signed up for this site, and dont have a ccw put would like to know just where I stand if I should open carry in Mi.

Will I be arrested? if so will I get aqquited? and my gun returned? or be fined and lose my gun?

C-ya

imported post

Having recently relocated from MI, I will say that I never saw anyone OC, even tho the state constitution says you can. I was tempted a time or 2, but their definition of concealed carry makes it such a PITA that it would be very easy to get busted for CC. If your coat/jacket covers your firearm, it is now concealed. If you get into your vehicle with it in the holster, it is now concealed. If you have a CCW, you are fine in those cases. If not, you might get some unwanted attention. The traveling requirements are onerous as well. You have to keep the firearm and ammo seperate and inaccessible to the occupants of the passenger compartment (to the extent possible - single cab/seat pickups, for example, make this difficult to quantify).

That said, there are some open carry minded folks on this board if you go to the MI section. They get together and OC and have had no troubles the last time I checked in. Of course, metro Detroit wouldn't be my first choice of places to try OCing! Most places have passed unconstitutional laws that say you can't OC. If you got arrested, I would like to think that you would be acquitted. I didn't try it where I lived due to being the sole provider for my family. In theory, the law should be on your side, but what about when you get into the court room?

As far as a definitive answer, there is none. Even the state lawmakers have disagreed with the State AG's opinion about OC.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The state police have issued a legal opinion that OC is legal, and the only pending arrest (grand haven) was reveresed today - why on earth would you htink OC is not lawful in Michigan??

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Mike wrote:
The state police have issued a legal opinion that OC is legal, and the only pending arrest (grand haven) was reveresed today - why on earth would you htink OC is not lawful in Michigan??

Mike, I suspect Ackzun is a resident of TN and is planning to visit/move to MI and he has no permit/license to carry from his residential state. Therefore, without his permit/license to carry, he may not possess/carry in the State of MI-unless he is just traveling through (Lawful Transport).

Oops!!! Nevermind, I just noticed his question in the MI subforum. :banghead: