• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A story for righting the wrongs

Tucker6900

imported post

I was invited to play poker at my brothers friends house last night, and gladly accepted. Keep in mind that most, if not all of his friends, are pro-gun, and each has their CPL with the exception of one who is a Lansing Police Officer.

I OC'd while I was there, and it caused quite the disturbance once I informed them that OC was legal in this state. Heres how it went down. This wasnt neccessarily an attack aimed at me, more of people too hard headed to know when they are wrong.

I walked into the barn (a very nice finished pole barn) and stood for a few minutes to shoot the breeze with a few of the guys. One of them, the LPD officer, noticed that my gun was uncovered, and said, "I hope you dont walk around with that thing uncovered like that!" That statement brought pretty much all of the attention to me and my sidearm. So now everyone is looking at me waiting for a response. I very calmly said, "Sure I do! You know its legal, right?" Most of the guys just laughed at this and went about their business, but my brothers two closest friends and the LPD officer continued with the "lesson", as they called it.

They threw around terms like; "Brandishing", "Disturbing the Peace", "Unlawful Carry of a firearm", whichI knocked to the ground with all the education that I have had since my investigation into OC has been going on. Each one of them wanted me to prove to them that it was legal, and when I offered to show them a number of sites; OCDO, MGO, MSP Website, their response was, "Are you a lawyer!?" and "Listening to those "wackjobs" on those websites is going to get you nothing but arrested."

So at this point, Im pretty well flustered. And decided to return to my car and retrieve the handouts that I printed from this website. After handing them out to anyone interested, the conversation went to the side for a while, and we started playing cards.

About two hours later, the host got up and went inside to get some more snacks for the hungry card sharks in the garage, returned from inside the house with a whole assload of printouts from the internet. Most of them referring to the Ferndale Decision, MSP Legal Updates, Preemption law, and Pistol Free Zones. His wife had overheard the conversation and decided to look into my claims of OC being legal. And she hit the jackpot!!

Needless to say, the poker game was done at that point. With the conversation about OC back up front, most people had realized they were wrong from the very get go, while others still needed some convincing.

By the time I looked at my watch again, it was 1am. We had been in heavy discussion for almost 3 hours and completely lost track of time.

Out of the 10 people that were there, 7 of them are now going to practice OC on a regular basis. Not on my suggestion, mind you, but on their own decision to exercise their right to bear arms.

4 of those 7 are active members in their community and have promised to spread the word about what we are doing here, and about Open Carry.

At first I felt overwhelmed, but now that feeling is gone. I think this is my first "major" accomplishment for the OC movement, and hope I can continue to fight along side of them, and all of you here on OCDO!

WARCHILD

imported post

Very well done! You are a good example of why carrying a few info packets is a worthwhile cause. When an anti starts quoting BS as law, pull out the law and shut them down with facts.