• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fact Finding Mission, Calling all LEO's,Dispatchers, Etc CHP and Drivers License

67GT390FB

imported post

I have seen it mentioned on here many times that the fact that you have a CHP is attached to your drivers license/vehicle registration.

I do not believethat this iscorrect information. I would like to correct this once and for all if possible. or at a minimium make this info readily found with the search option.

It is my understanding that there is nothing attached to your DMV file/record that indicates that you have a CHP.

it is my understanding that the PO runs your plate with the dmv system and this provides him with the info for the registered owner.

it is my understanding that the officer then accesses or has someone else, like a dispatcher run that information or the info provided by your drivers license, through a seperate system to see if you have warrants etc. it is when the PO checks this system that the flag for a CHP comes up.

I am not looking for conjecture I am looking for factual information from those involved with these systems. I realize that different departments may have different procedures for when/how/and what info is disseminated to the officer at a traffic stop. The general info I am looking for should be pretty standardized though.

thanks,

Joe

LEO 229

imported post

Correct.

There is no physical link to your DMV file.

A query of your vehicle brings up the vehicle and then the owners.

The owners are then automatically acquired against the following...

CC Permit

Sex Offender Registry

Warrant checks - Local, State, National

Terrorist Watch list

Warning Tickets

Police Contacts

Police Reports

More depending on the agency and what they want to be checked. Any database they have can be searched and data returned.

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Correct.

There is no physical link to your DMV file.

A query of your vehicle brings up the vehicle and then the owners.

The owners are then automatically acquired against the following...

CC Permit

Sex Offender Registry

Warrant checks - Local, State, National

Terrorist Watch list

Warning Tickets

Police Contacts

Police Reports

More depending on the agency and what they want to be checked. Any database they have can be searched and data returned.
thanks

LEO 229

imported post

Welcome....

I guess this satisfies your question?

You could have just PMed me. ;)

67GT390FB

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Welcome....

Yes but i stillhave a few questions.This waythe informationis out on the public forum for everyone to see and hopefully stop spreading the rumor that the your DMV record is flagged with your CHP info. I know its a fine point but it is incorrect info that should not be put out there.

I realize that the two checks are run almost simaltaneously in some jurisdictions but for example, it has also be stated by a Dispatcher on here that the Criminal Check on the Registered owner is not always automatic and has to be specifically requested by the officer. I believe some of this has to do with the sophistication of the various departments computer systems and remote access.

doug23838

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
it is my understanding that the officer then accesses or has someone else, like a dispatcher run that information or the info provided by your drivers license, through a seperate system to see if you have warrants etc. it is when the PO checks this system that the flag for a CHP comes up.
Joe:

That's not the way it gets "sold" in the news. I think many people (myself included) believed that when your tag got run, the CHP hit came back right away, so the officer approaching the vehicle would know if you were one of the most law abiding, least troublesome, least likely to be a threat, citizens of the Commonwealth.

As we hear so many times its all about "officer safety"

Good info. I had considered registering my cars under an LLC to break the link between car registration and CHP. Now, it seems I don't have to.

nova

imported post

Kinda interesting that they(whoever THEY is...)lump in CHP holders with all of these other bad things...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

A Loudoun Deputy told me that one in ten (of his) traffic stops shows the driver to have a CHP. He says it is second nature and (he said thanks to my efforts) all of Loudoun County Deputies have been re-trained regarding firearms :)

ballester

imported post

for starters let me say i am sorry and beg forgivness...i was one of the people that believed this rumor and kinda spread it to customers that asked me that came into the shop....again i am sorry and swear to change my ways....:uhoh:..i to believed this rumor...sigh...ok the truth is out...i make it my mission to correct this information....again sorry and i guess i got to flog myself now....:banghead:

but all seriousness this was a very good question and good to get a clear answer.

buster81

imported post

So,how does this traffic stop play out?

1. I get pulled over.

2. LEO asks for my drivers license, insurance and registration. I hand them over.

3. I get interrogated with a few questions, which I naturallydon't answer.

4. When LEO returns with my traffic ticket, he asks to see my CHP.

5. I had it over.

6. Receive all of my documents back with my ticket, and I'm on my way.

Is this the proper sequence of events?

RedKnightt

imported post

ed wrote:
A Loudoun Deputy told me that one in ten (of his) traffic stops shows the driver to have a CHP. He says it is second nature and (he said thanks to my efforts) all of Loudoun County Deputies have been re-trained regarding firearms :)
Wow.. really? 1 in 10? That's about 5 times the Virginia norm (which is just under 2% as of 2006). Are CHP holders really more prone to traffic stops? I wouldn't expect Loudoun to have a CHP average 5 times the state rate, so I guess we can only draw one conclusion: People in Loudoun with CHPs are terrible drivers! :lol:

Seriously, though, I wonder if it simply seems that way (1 in 10 has a CHP) because an officer is more likely to remember an encounter with an armed citizen than with an unarmed one. Any LEOs on the board want to share thier observations/experience?

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
ed wrote:
Wow.. really? 1 in 10? That's about 5 times the Virginia norm (which is just under 2% as of 2006). Are CHP holders really more prone to traffic stops? I wouldn't expect Loudoun to have a CHP average 5 times the state rate, so I guess we can only draw one conclusion: People in Loudoun with CHPs are terrible drivers! :lol:

Seriously, though, I wonder if it simply seems that way (1 in 10 has a CHP) because an officer is more likely to remember an encounter with an armed citizen than with an unarmed one. Any LEOs on the board want to share thier observations/experience?

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
They gave to protect all that money they're carrying
"Loudoun County household income highest nationwide
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=8909795

TexasNative

imported post

buster81 wrote:

1. I get pulled over.

2. LEO asks for my drivers license, insurance and registration. I hand them over.

5. I had it over.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the LEO doesn't ask to see my CHP in step 4. Instead, he asks me if I'm carrying. Since I'm on my way to The People's Republic of Maryland, I say, "Unfortunately, no, since I'm on my way to Maryland, I'm disarmed." LEO says, "Have a nice day, and quit breaking Virginia traffic laws." I say, "Thank you very much. Have a marvelous day!"

All this is hypothetical, of course. :lol:

bayboy42

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Welcome....

Yes but i stillhave a few questions.This waythe informationis out on the public forum for everyone to see and hopefully stop spreading the rumor that the your DMV record is flagged with your CHP info. I know its a fine point but it is incorrect info that should not be put out there.

I realize that the two checks are run almost simaltaneously in some jurisdictions but for example, it has also be stated by a Dispatcher on here that the Criminal Check on the Registered owner is not always automatic and has to be specifically requested by the officer. I believe some of this has to do with the sophistication of the various departments computer systems and remote access.
Actually, doesn't that poster go so far as to say that the second check is only legal udner certain circumstances...hold on, let me do some searching.

DISREGARD - REVISTED THE THREAD - HE DIDN"T SAY THAT AT ALL - MY APOLOGIES

ThunderRanch

imported post

When the check is run on the "registered owner" would it include multiple people in the event a vehicle is registered (like my two are) in both a husband and wife's name? Or would it generally return only data on the first listed name?

Let's assume the registered owner did have a CHP, but was not the driver. I'll go out on a limb here and figure the officer will realize that and not ask the driver if he or she is carrying?

LEO 229

imported post

Air wrote:
what is "Police Contacts"?
Many departments fill out a card when they stop you and no ticket it given.

This tracks subject and traffic stops and allows the department to check for racial profiling.

This actually started up many years agodue to coplaints when I could stop and give you a verbal warning. I could stop all Asians and harass them and there would be no documentation on it.

For the record.. I like the Asian people... ;)

LEO 229

imported post

ed wrote:
I get many CC returns too on people I stop. No big deal.

Sometimes I ask... "what you got? (with a fun curious smile)" and often hear.. "I am not packingtoday."

So many people have them and do not carry. Or they are telling me a lie!! :uhoh:

:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

buster81 wrote:

1. I get pulled over.

5. I had it over.

There is no need to ask for you the permit if I can see it is valid in the computer.

The only real need for the permit is if the computer is down and cannot verify it is valid.

Running your name and getting the up-to-date return from the court is far better than your permit.

Just because you have the permit does not mean it is still valid. It could have been revoked by the court for something you did last year.

LEO 229

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote:
When the check is run on the "registered owner" would it include multiple people in the event a vehicle is registered (like my two are) in both a husband and wife's name? Or would it generally return only data on the first listed name?

Let's assume the registered owner did have a CHP, but was not the driver. I'll go out on a limb here and figure the officer will realize that and not ask the driver if he or she is carrying?
I was told the Virginia DMV send all the owners by default.

There are times I only want the vehicle info for a parking ticket and I get pages and pages of stuff I do not need.

ALL owner are returned. And then... depending on the agency and what they specify...

It runs EVERY name against their predetermined databases.