• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fact Finding Mission, Calling all LEO's,Dispatchers, Etc CHP and Drivers License

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Air wrote:
what is "Police Contacts"?
Many departments fill out a card when they stop you and no ticket it given.

This tracks subject and traffic stops and allows the department to check for racial profiling.

This actually started up many years agodue to coplaints when I could stop and give you a verbal warning. I could stop all Asians and harass them and there would be no documentation on it.

For the record.. I like the Asian people... ;)

Leo 229 is being modest. Many departments fill them out whenever they make "Meaningful" contact with the public. People walking in high drug areas or in wealthy areas just about anywhere. They are kept in a database that all officers can access.

That's why it's very important when the officer sees you at the corner and says, "May I help You"....you say......NO:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Leo 229 is being modest. Many departments fill them out whenever they make "Meaningful" contact with the public. People walking in high drug areas or in wealthy areas just about anywhere. They are kept in a database that all officers can access.

That's why it's very important when the officer sees you at the corner and says, "May I help You"....you say......NO:lol:
This is true.... If you are asked for you ID.... your information will be added to a database that can be checked.

If you decline.... a card is still done with your full description included and name omitted.

In a way.. it is good because bad guys are sometimes located because they were found in the area at the time of the crime.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

So since I'm often driving my sister's car (which I think is still registered in my parent's name) or my girlfriend's car (which is in her name, but we aren't married and she isn't a CHP holder) is it unlikely that an officer will have any suspicion that I am armed if I were to get stopped, or as soon as the license is handed over and he goes back to the car will he likely check on a CHP? I only ask because around Blacksburg, depending on how close to campus I am and the direction I might be headed when I get stopped, I'd prefer to keep it to myself if I can reasonably help it...wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm headed to campus with my gun. :what: Just couldn't see that leading to anything good, even if I were headed to Wal-Mart and just happened to be right beside campus when I was going 45 in a 35 (legitimate possibility based on where my house is vs campus vs wally world.)

LEO 229

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
So since I'm often driving my sister's car (which I think is still registered in my parent's name) or my girlfriend's car (which is in her name, but we aren't married and she isn't a CHP holder) is it unlikely that an officer will have any suspicion that I am armed if I were to get stopped, or as soon as the license is handed over and he goes back to the car will he likely check on a CHP? I only ask because around Blacksburg, depending on how close to campus I am and the direction I might be headed when I get stopped, I'd prefer to keep it to myself if I can reasonably help it...wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm headed to campus with my gun. :what: Just couldn't see that leading to anything good, even if I were headed to Wal-Mart and just happened to be right beside campus when I was going 45 in a 35 (legitimate possibility based on where my house is vs campus vs wally world.)

Ya... I would run your license to be sure you are not suspended and not wanted.

The CC permit would show up... No big deal as I already have your license and know who you are. I ran your name so if you did kill me and take it back...my agency willknow who to look for.

I return to give you your ticket and you are on your way.

No need to ask you about a gun now since you will be gone in 60 seconds....

Goliath

imported post

I am not sure what system that LEO229's agency has. Out here in rural VA the sequence runs something like,

1.The deputy calls your tag into dispatch

2. You tag gets run through NCIC/VCIN and DMV to check to make sure it isn't stolen or other flags and to make sure that it is properly registered.

3. The Deputy goes up and gets your OL which he calls in to us to check and make sure it is valid and your not wanted. This is when we find out you have a CHP.

4. The Deputy tickets or not and clears.

Our department doesn't keep all of the info that LEO229's does. Just a difference in the departments databases. We also don't run the registered owners as a matter of course. Was also wondering what departments do when the vehicle is registered to a business or a rental company.

LEO 229

imported post

Do not forget... Leased vehicles...

We run the driver after we get their OL... :D

Armed

imported post

I've been stopped twice in the 8 years that I've had my CHP. The question of whether or not I was armed has never come up. If they don't ask - I don't tell.

TexasNative

imported post

I've been stopped (for an illegal U-turn, at an unfamiliar intersection in Fairfax Country, and I didn't see the sign - I was still wrong, though) only once since I got my CHP. After the LEO obtained my Driver's License and ran it through whatever systems they have, he came back and asked me if I was carrying. I replied that I was en route to my job in Maryland, so since it would be illegal there, my carry piece was at home. He handed me my warning ticket, wished me a good day, and returned to his cruiser.

LEO 229

imported post

Armed wrote:
I've been stopped twice in the 8 years that I've had my CHP. The question of whether or not I was armed has never come up. If they don't ask - I don't tell.
I stopped someone the other day that has a CC permit.

As long as the gun is not in his hand when I walk up...I do not have a problem and there is no reason to even talk about the permit.

And he did get a ticket for his violation. So that law abiding citizen with a -8 balance was not so law abiding after all. ;)

This ticket will take him to -12

Resqu2

imported post

Here in Washington Co, VA Ilisten tothe scanner allot and not until the DL is ran do you hear the dispatcher tell the officer that the subject has a valid carrypermit or some will use the term has a valid CHL.

Some people do not want everyone to know that they carry or have a CHL so I'm kinda surprised that this is broadcast for everyone that has a scanner to hear. Not a big deal to me but to some people it is.