• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm moving to Lemoore, CA in Feb 2009

Cougar125

imported post

This is only my 3rd post on here, but I've been watching and reading a lot in the last week or so. It has been mostly in the WA section, but that is because this is where I live for now.

I'm in the Navy and will be transferring to Lemoore soon and would like some guidance on what the policies in CA are as far as OC and such. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ev

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You are not going to like the state of Kalifornia's restrictive and sometimes difficult to understand firearms laws.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Yata hey

prcE6

imported post

.. but don't let none of that stop you. Read up on the flyer(s) found here and of course the PC's themselves.

Welcome to Cal (well, when you get here anyways).

Cougar125

imported post

I must've read that pamphlet 3 or 4 times now. All I can say is WOW! PRK has some awful restrictions whereas here in WA I can carry with one in the chamber and a full mag. There you can't even have the mag in or its a crime (unless it is being used for a lawful arrest...)

So what exactly do they mean that it has to be in a locked case when transporting in a vehicle? Can one use the original case it came in or would I need a different case with lock and key?

What other literature is there for CA in regards to OC?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
So what exactly do they mean that it has to be in a locked case when transporting in a vehicle? Can one use the original case it came in or would I need a different case with lock and key?
Not sure who "they" are, but they are wrong. It doesn't have to be locked in a case when you are transporting it in your car.... unless you're going to enter a 'school zone.' The most often cited "locked case" statute (12026) is actually an exemption to 12025 (concealed weapon statute). That means that you CAN conceal a weapon in your vehicle, as long as it is in a locked case. The law says nothing about locking an exposed weapon.

Now, if you want to conceal your weapon in your car, any locking container will do, so long as it is:
-fully enclosed
-locks by some means (key, combo, retinal scanner, etc)
-IS NOT your glove compartment or center console

Some examples of 'locked containers' I have used/seen/heard of:
- Range bag with pad lock on zippers, kept in bed of pickup
- Manufacturer gun case with pad lock kept on front seat.
- Trunk of the car
- Aftermarket lock box bolted to frame of car under front seat with combo lock.

I'll preempt the next FUD you'll hear: you don't have to store the ammo in a separate, locked container. You can keep your "loaded" mags in the same locked case, as long as they're not in the mag well.