• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local OC places

Cyklopz

imported post

I've not really seen this laid out locally but how about a list of good/bad places to OC around Fayette county? Or any other area with enough interest. As a new person considering OC it would be helpful to have a list of places to try. I know there are general places such as to get gas, Wally world etc. but it would be nice to have known local spots to consider.

Just an idea from a new person.

PS: Technically I guess I have opened carried as I have traveled with my pistol in the glove box while loaded. Pretty weak I know...:?

Cy

Cyklopz

imported post

To bad there is not more info on "good" places to OC in Fayetty co (Lexington). I would like to start OCing and guess I'll just have to do some trial and error around town. Would be really nice to have an idea where it is already tested and accepted.

Cy

TheMrMitch

imported post

Look at it this way.....If there's a sign telling you to stay out.....bad place. No sign? Try it. All they can do is ask you to leave. Open carry is LEGAL in Kentucky.

I have OCd in Versailles.....at Centerfire and a place where we lunched. No problems there.

Just try it and watch for signs barring guns. Be neat and polite. What did theNike ads say? Just Do It!:D

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I drive through Lexington several times a year and always stop for gas and a stretch there. I have OC'd at several gas stations/quick shops, including extended time outside in the parking lot having a cigarette and stretching my legs and a few fast food places. Haven't ever had any problems. Granted that isn't very inclusive by any means, just adding the little info I have.

tito887

imported post

I open carried most of the day yesterday in the different places me and my family visited. Only place I concealed was at the zoo.

Cyklopz

imported post

Just out of curiosity, has anyone OC'd in the Walmart out by Hamburg? I'm thinking of stopping by there to get some WWB for the range tomorrow and thought it would be a good OC opportunity. I know sometimes Walmart won't sell ammo to someone carrying, has that happened arond Lexington?

Cy

Cyklopz

imported post

Well, I ended up not going to Walmart today so no nachos! But, I did stop to get gas on the way to the range and then on the way home I went by the new Sportsman's Warehouse out at Hamburg. No signs that I saw so I walked right in and went to the back to get some more practice ammo. Just some WWB 9mm 147. No one really seemed to care but I did hear two guys talking while I was looking for some ammo and then heard a whisper and a "Its OK, it's legal." I assumed it referred to my OC but who knows.

Not to bad for a first real OC.

Cy

Dang spellnig

Cyklopz

imported post

Well, day two of "real" OCing. I went back to the range today so since I had a couple of errands to do I OC'd. I stopped by the gas station to turn in a small winning powerball ticket. I think the lady behind the counter was trying to get another employee to "come to this side of the counter" to take a look but she did not say anything to me, nor did anyone else.

After that I had to drop off some drycleaning and they young guy behind the counter only did a small doubletake but did not say anything either. I'll bet he mentioned it to the other young guy working with him after I left. ;)

So a good day of OCing but not a great day at the range. Dang WWB practice ammo kept choking my gun!

Cy

PFC Helms

imported post

I oc'd back in Jan with my girlfriend we went to the IHOP and then to the theater I'm not used to Lex to well and think it was somewhere off Red Mile Road if I remember correctly more towards the west end of Lex around versailes RD/US 60 Oc'd all day no issues.

A little late but hope it helps

Helms, Thomas S
SPC
1/149th BSTB
U.S. Army

Cyklopz

imported post

Two more days of OC this weekend.

Day 1: My wife and I went to Bud's indoor range so I started off the day OCing. On the way home we stopped by hamburg and ate at the new Calistoga Cafe, no issues there. Also stopped in the new lowes without issue. Went to the grocery store over off Chinoe which is in a conservative neighborhood but no problems.

Day 2: My wife and I went down to Canoe Creek outdoor range so another day of OCing. ON the way home we stopped to eat at the Red Robin which is always full of families but no issues today. My was sure that someone would day something at RR, especially after we were led around the entire restaurant to find a booth! But, sheeple alarms went off.

So, a good weekend of OCing.

Cy

Statesman

imported post

Cyklopz wrote:
Well, I ended up not going to Walmart today so no nachos!  But, I did stop to get gas on the way to the range and then on the way home I went by the new Sportsman's Warehouse out at Hamburg.  No signs that I saw so I walked right in and went to the back to get some more practice ammo.  Just some WWB 9mm 147.  No one really seemed to care but I did hear two guys talking while I was looking for some ammo and then heard a whisper and a "Its OK, it's legal."  I assumed it referred to my OC but who knows.

Not to bad for a first real OC.

Cy

Dang spellnig

Sportsman's Warehouse is not surprising. They have loads of firearms in the back, as well as employees that are well oriented with everything they sell.

In fact, this is probably one of the best stores to OC in Lexington as far as I can tell. You shouldn't find the paranoid Wal-Mart employee types there. Good place to do business, as I think they have some decent prices on things.

Cyklopz

imported post

Sorry, that post got a bit mangled. I was tired. No sheeple alarms went off while in RR for lunch. My wife just knew someone there would say something but no problems at all.

Cy

TheMrMitch

imported post

Today was my first in the Louisville area....Fern Valley Rd Shoneys'. Met a bunch of people for breakfastI worked with years ago. Never gave it a thought....neither did anyone in the place including past co workers. Just comes natural now.:D

Cyklopz

imported post

My wife and I went down to Canoe creek today to let her break in her new CW9 so I OC'd my XD9sc. On the way home we stopped by the Nicholasville Walmart that is there on the bypass. No issues we we shopped for cleaning patches and some other stuff.

Cy