• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retraining indicated for Chesterfield Officer(s)

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
The VCDL-PAC, with elections coming next year for state offices, needs donations.
I remember that from the application. Is there a legal defense fund for carry issues for those who can't afford a decent lawyer?
We look at those issues on a case-by-case basis and raise money for them accordingly.

mlands

imported post

Unfortunatelythere is little to no training on gun laws atmost police academies in Virginia. Many years ago I was a police officer inNorthern Virginia and can say from my experiencethatthere wasnot anyspecific training on gun laws during my Academy law class. So as far as guns go wecoveredgun safety, firearms training at the range, felony stops, weapons searches,arrest procedures,gun awareness, and other related training...but not any specificgun law training.A police officer gets training ingeneral criminal law, evidence and procedures.Recently I asked a youngLEO about gun law trainingat the Academy and he said that theydo not go overgun laws. Hence it appears that nothing has changed in that area of no training in 28 years. So what you often run into areincidents where you faced with arepolice officers whomay or may not know what they are talking about.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hlh wrote:
This creates a dangerous situation for the armed citizen when the LEO's are ignorant of the law.
Most places cops get very little specific education in laws. Most of them know little about any of the laws. They "know" what things are illegal in a general sense, and after an arrest try to fit the action they believed was criminal to a specific statute.

That may sound kind of odd, but it is the way things have to work. it is not like a cop can cite chapter and verse before he makes an arrest when he sees (or thinks he sees) a crime being committed.

DoubleTap

imported post

hlh wrote:
I've had a traffic stop experience where I explained the law to the LEO and he told me that he would let the judge figure it out. That ended up being ok but it sure cost me allot in time and attorney fees.
Glad it turned out ok (with the exception of the cost of time and attorney fees of course):(.

I was stopped for a traffic violation several years ago in Henrico. After voluntarily advising the officer that I had a permit to carry concealed, he commented that it was not legal to carry in my pocketbook. Fortunately, nothing more occurred. After reading your post, didn't feel so bad about just getting a speeding ticket!

DoubleTap

imported post

hlh wrote:
I've had a traffic stop experience where I explained the law to the LEO and he told me that he would let the judge figure it out. That ended up being ok but it sure cost me allot in time and attorney fees.
Glad it turned out ok (with the exception of the cost of time and attorney fees of course):(.

I was stopped for a traffic violation several years ago in Henrico. After voluntarily advising the officer that I had a permit to carry concealed, he commented that it was not legal to carry in my pocketbook. Fortunately, nothing more occurred. After reading your post, didn't feel so bad about just getting a speeding ticket!

DoubleTap

imported post

hlh wrote:

DoubleTap

imported post

DoubleTap

imported post

hlh wrote:

DoubleTap

imported post

DocV

imported post

DT,

You need to change your name from Double Tap to Full Auto...:D:D

( I know the SQL error thingie is messed up again)

DoubleTap

imported post

Thanks Doc! Was trying to think of a humorous way of apologizing for all of the duplicate postings, but you took care of that for me! Tried to fix, but to no avail. Kept getting error messages.:lol: