• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Negative OC Experience (Overland Walmart)

BrianEMT

imported post

After biking 20 miles and arriving home, I get a call, and had to drive to pick up another bike. On the way back I stopped at Walmart to pick up some milk.

This is probably the 89 millionth time I have OCed there, but the only time I was in a workout shirt and shorts instead of black pants and a police polo. Is it a coincidence? I doubt it, I'm sure there is a connection between how I have been dressing and whether or not I have been stopped. It shouldn't be this way, and I am sure ICSDL is working on this too...

So the story goes, I walked in with my G19 stuck in a Fobus Paddle, I had to run out the door so I just stuffed it in my belt loop and left. On the way in, I am sure the door greeter noticed it, black gun and black holster against a white shirt and shorts. He said nothing more than "Welcome to Walmart" and smiled.

I walked towards the back of the store to pick up some milk. On the way there, I noticed a male subject following me closely and pretending to be preoccupied, as if he was setting up for a gun grab. So I grabbed my gallon of milk and got out of there. On the way to the cashier, a man I had seen many time before who worked in Sporting Goods named Gary (would not disclose his last name) approached me. He stated that "this is private property and we do not allow guns" and that I would have to leave the store or leave it in the car.

Immediately I asked if there was a sign posted, if I could speak to a manager and see it in writing. In the meantime I went to drop it in the car. He said there was no sigh posted, and he would get a manager for me. I came back in, found him standing near the door greeter, and still waiting on a manager. At which point I figured I should call someone for advice. I didnt have Saint's phone number (if you could PM it to me please), so I thought of the next best Matt to deal with the situation. I gave him a call.

He gave me a few numbers, which I tried to no luck, so I figured I would go back inside to try the manager approach again. The door greeter paged a manager, and the one that showed up must have been my age, a Customer Service Manager Tayler (who also would not disclose his last name). Soon after giving him the briefing, Assistant Manager Kevin (who ALSO would not disclose his last name), joined in, and I restarted the briefing. I told them I had been told by both the Asset Protection Manager and the Director of Security at the Walmart Corporate Office (thanks Matt :D) that it was alright, and that I should not have been stopped. They agreed to get in contact with them, and walked off.

I went to the back of the store again, got the same gallon of milk I had grabbed 20 minutes earlier, and proceeded back to the registers. Paid for it. On my way out the door, there was Gary and Kevin standing there, I was going to just walk out the door but they motioned for me to come over.

Kevin states that he contacted the store manager (who they make seem like this shadowy figurehead) and the security services. Both said that it was alright as long as I wasnt causing a disturbance or disrupting the flow of customers, which I clearly was not.

I thanked both of them, shook their hands, and said I appreciated them clearing things up. Although I doubt this pleased Gary too much, as I didn't see him smile a single time throughout this entire ordeal, which lasted approximately an hour.

All things considered, I am glad I have cleared this issue up, and I will move this Walmart to the "Confirmed Gun Friendly" list on ICSDL.

bobcat

imported post

Brian, my comments are general in nature and not directed at you in any way. Thanks for taking the time and patience to be politely persistent with the WM folks and sharing on the forum.:cool:

So can we safely conclude that appearances DO MATTER when OC'g? I think Brian has provided us with an example that shows that it does. Should it matter? Technically, no, as has been discussed here before and I agree in principle that it should not matter.

Neat and decent casual dress or something less. I suggest that firearm or not, 'sloppy' dress gets attention. Think about how you evaluate threats or possible threats in your AO. First impressions DO MATTER.

Looking/appearing responsible usually means the individual is going to act responsibly. While this is not foolproof, my personal observations over the years has proven this to be the case in; meeting people for the first time, hiring, volunteering. You get the idea. Think of it as an attitude check.

Now don't misunderstand, that doesn't mean you can't be different in how you dress, but the more 'non-conforming' one is to current culture in your AO is likely to get undesired attention.

Certainly the choice is yours. At this early juncture in the OC movement, I suggest that a neat and tidy appearance, from clothes to your rig, will do quite a bit to further our cause in a positive manner.

Just sayin':)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Im not certain what benefit, if any can be derived from asking to see a sign posted prohibiting certain behavior- particularly the open or concealed carry of firearms.

When we do this, it is inviting them to post a sign prohibiting otherwise unregulated behavior, even when the sign is not legally binding.

I am curious though- I wonder if they would treat a person the same way if they were conceal carrying and was wearing a t-shirt that said, "I am carrying a concealed firearm."

IndianaBoy79

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I am curious though- I wonder if they would treat a person the same way if they were conceal carrying and was wearing a t-shirt that said, "I am carrying a concealed firearm."
You know, I wouldn't mind testing that theory for you sometme...though I need to have some shirts made. :) I CC/OC about 50/50. Wouldn't mind people knowing I'm armed when I CC, it's just more comfortable in the situations that I choose to.

headhunter09

imported post

ok so i am new to this forum but not new to OC. i have been going to the overland walmart for along time now and never had any incounter with them about my OCing, it kinda makes me sad that so many of you have been confronted by the walmart employees. but if anyone wants to know more about me just go ahead and ask!!