• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

454 CASUL VS 460 S&W

grampayeehaa

imported post

I own a Taurus, Raging Bull, 8 1/2", 454. It is extremely accurate and planty powerful. Last month I took a Cougar with it. I was using a 260gr, speer, jacketed hollow point over 31 grains of H110. It was a 50 yard, down hill, running away shot. The bullet caught it about the middle of the back just rear of the rib cage. The cat went down like I dropped a truck on it. The bullet exited the front of it's chest and left an exit wound that I could put my fist in.

Recently I have been hearing a lot of hoopla about the 460 S&W and I got the itch to purchase a Thompson Center Pro Hunter in 460. I'd like to put some glass on it and do some long range hunting. Anyone out there haveexperience with the TC, the 460 or both?

Blinn79

imported post

I have shot both a S&W .460 XVR and a S&W .500 Mag. The S&W Model 500 kicks a good bit harder then the .460, but the .460 is noticeably louder. I like the .460 s&w because you can put .454 or .45 long colt in it as well, so it is like 3 guns in one. I can't tell you much else about it, I just fired 5 shots from each at a gun range, nothing major. Both were extremely accurate when cocked first (single action) and then fired.

Oh also the guy who owned both pistols, told me you can get the .460 ammo for almost half the price of the .50 mag ammo.