• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vertical Shotgun Floor Safe

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

So I've been thinking about getting a shotgun for homesecurityand was thinking aboutwhere I could keepit with fairly easy access, but safe from the kids, and I thought "How about a vertical floor safe?" You know round or rectangular top, going down about 3 feet into your crawlspace, or in concrete if you planned ahead...So I do some googlingand email several safe companiesand they say they've never even heard of such a thing. Theydid have cylindrical floor safes, but not long enough for a rifle/shotgun... Surely, I can not be the first person to ever think of this? Has anyone ever seen/heard of a safe like this?

gravedigger

imported post

There you go! There is your million dollar idea!

Go buy a regular floor safe and take it to a welder to have the bowel extended with a long metal tube of your chosen length. Floor safes are just a metal tube with a vault head, usually round and big enough to drop a bag of money down into. Just a warning though. If you house is ever flooded, the safe will be the first thing to fill up with water!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Floor safes I have seen are generally not any deeper than someone can comfortably reach into and touch the bottom. How would you clean the bottom if something spilled into it? How will you easily retrieve items from the bottom of the safe if you just drop something into it? It's not like you are going to take it out and dump it out or hose it out if that happened.

They make long gun wall safes that mount between wall studs, from what I have seen intended to be mounted in closets although they could be mounted in any wall. I don't have time ATM to see if I have a link bookmarked.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Hmmm...I don't know how/why I wouldspill anything in it and the butt or barrel would be right there to grab. I guess if I dropped anything down there I would have to get it out with one of those grabby stick things that old people use.:)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Hmmm...I don't know how/why I wouldspill anything in it and the butt or barrel would be right there to grab. I guess if I dropped anything down there I would have to get it out with one of those grabby stick things that old people use.:)

First of all, the safe would be water-tight. That's not difficult. As far as retrieving items at the bottom or cleaning, you simply pull the molded insert out with the convenient molded handles on either side.

Of course this idea wouldn't do me much good at the moment, as I live in a 2nd story apartment. I don't think the downstairs neighbors would appreciate a safe hanging down through their ceiling :D.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hmmm...I don't know how/why I wouldspill anything in it ...
safe from the kids
I think that pretty much answers how that might happen ;) I've seen kids do things I never would have thought likely or possible at speeds that defy physics. :p

DreQo, great idea about having a liner. Excellent solution to the potential problem!

David.Car

imported post

The problem is the amount of house alteration this requires to install... Makeing a 3+ ft hole down through your floor, and your foundation? Not to mention it won't work for people who have a basement or live on more than the 1st floor...

Now... Turn it sideways so it lays flat (only needs to be 4-6 inches deep than) and the top (door)looks like a floor board? I can get in on that...

FogRider

imported post

David.Car wrote:
The problem is the amount of house alteration this requires to install... Makeing a 3+ ft hole down through your floor, and your foundation? Not to mention it won't work for people who have a basement or live on more than the 1st floor...

Now... Turn it sideways so it lays flat (only needs to be 4-6 inches deep than) and the top (door)looks like a floor board? I can get in on that...
You could go just a little bigger than that if you wanted. Standard joists mean you could go about 10" wide by 8" deep. Put a spring loaded door and electronic lock (manual backup, of course), and you'd have something secure that would pop open in seconds.