• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best-selling disaster supply item in New Orleans is -- Rifles

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

From the Outdoorlife.com blogs:

August 27, 2008

Guns and Gustav

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

“I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now,” he said. “Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223.”
Can’t say I’m surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don’t think of it as an “assault weapon” but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.

—John Snow

Posted at 08:08 PM in Gun Rights

Orygunner

imported post

Darn. Someone beat me to posting this :)

Yeah, let's see New Orleans PD try to confiscate weapons THIS time.

...I sure hope they don't. Oh, and I hope the hurricane doesn't do much damage, either...
...Orygunner...

yeahYeah

imported post

you know, the democrats are praying for this hurricane to destory NO.... what better way to take attention off of the RNC next week.

Huck

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Darn. Someone beat me to posting this :)

Yeah, let's see New Orleans PD try to confiscate weapons THIS time.

...I sure hope they don't. Oh, and I hope the hurricane doesn't do much damage, either...
...Orygunner...
I hope not either. I dont think the good folks in NO are going to meekly give in this time around.

Michigander

imported post

Given the number of people in New Orleans, and the number of rifles available at any one time, I doubt that gun ownership will be a much different scenario then it ever has been in the area, except I hope the NOPD learned their lesson from Katriana and won't try any more gun roundups.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ironically, the NRA/2nd Amendment Foundation lawsuit against NOPD is scheduled for trial Nov. 3. I wish the Governor would remind LEOs of the revisions to state and federal laws which prohibitconfiscations of firearms from law-abiding citizens. I certainly hope no LEO gets into a firefight with someone over this, but I believe it is a very real possibility this time around.

sraacke

imported post

Whlie I'm a avid supporter of the right to keep and bear evil black rifles, I am a bit put off by groups of people who rush to the gun store just ahead of a possible hurricane landfall. These new gun owners almost certainly will not have a chance to practice at a range with their new rifles and will probably have little firearms safety training available before the storm hits.When I see reports of people rushing out and stocking out on ammo I just shake my head. Everyone should have a decent supply already on hand and know how to use it. Sort of the militia concept of a rifle and a battle pack of ammo ready to go at all times.I do hope that everyone putting down their hard earned money for theseweapons remembers to vote forpoliticians who support their right to own them.

MetalChris

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I certainly hope no LEO gets into a firefight with someone over this, but I believe it is a very real possibility this time around.
I hope that if it does happen, no citizens get hurt.

As for the LEOs...if they're willing to violate the constitution, they should suffer the consequences.

N00blet45

imported post

I agree with yale. It is a bit disconcerting to know that most of these people probably don't have any firearms experience and that they are buying these arms in case of scenarios that would require a firearm. It's like buying a car before a race and not ever driving before. It's fine that they're buying the weapons but they should train with them before they bet their lives on them. Some people just have this misconception that a firearm is a magic talisman that can wave bad guys away.

zoom6zoom

imported post

These new gun owners almost certainly will not have a chance to practice at a range with their new rifles and will probably have little firearms safety training available before the storm hits.
True - but if you (Mr. Looter) see someone sitting on his front porch with an AR in his lap, are you going to ask if he's taken a class, or are you just gonna keep moving down the street? We hope many of these folks never have to use their weapons, but the deterrence factor is real, with or without training.