• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how do you OC in winter?

mdguy90

imported post

OC'ing is simple right now, but here in WY, they say the winter lasts 8 months. It will snow, and it will go below 0 degrees... So I think I'm gonna need to wear a coat. how could I get around this problem, that is without freezing my butt off

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CC your sidearm, and sling your rifle OC. Sorry... I couldn't help myself, I don't have any better suggestions. It is a good question.

I'd be looking for any excuse to show off that AR in your avatar. Nice. :cool:

FogRider

imported post

Well, it depends. I have a drop leg holster I wear on occasion, and If I am wearing a light enough coat I may try to tuck it behind the holster. To be perfectly honest however, I generally conceal.

Dahwg

imported post

I carry the same way I always do. Open whenever possible and conceal when restricted by attire/location. Then again, can't really compare the Tucson Arizona winter to WY can we?

jbone

imported post

Become a Snow Bird and migrate to Florida with the older folks in the winter? Hehe :celebrate

mdguy90

imported post

Well this will be my first winter here, and I'm used to warmer weather! and due to my age, I can't CC......legally

coccok,

great suggestion, but the rifles a little cumbersome in tight areas, and sadly she won't be mine for long :cry:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Snowmobile suit with gun belt on the outside.

If you pack a 6 gun, get a low ride gun slinger holster. Wear a coat that doesn't come below the top of it.

You could also look into the hunterstyle shoulder holsters that you could wear over a jacket/coat. These rigs wear like a shash.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=368720
This one comes in revolver and semi-auto fits.

Edit: added link

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

There have been a few conversations about this in the past. One is in the Arizona section I think. Thigh rigs bring the gun below even a long coat. Some jackets are short enough to tuck behind a belt holster. There are also some jackets made specifically for belt carry (usually marketed for law enforcement) that have a slot for the sidearm to pass through. A shoulder holster of anysort could be worn outside of the jacket, but this would makes thing difficult if you want to take your jacket off when you go inside. A "duty" belt could also be worn on the outside of a coat, but the same problems arise if the coat will be going on and off a lot during the day. Lastly, one can resort to wearing warm layers and avoid the jacket/coat all together.

Last winter I personally used a thigh rig a few times, or wore layers in order to avoid wearing a jacket. I was also lazy a lot and just threw my jacket over my sidearm, as I have a permit to conceal :?.

The options are there for ya. Unfortunately it's just not as convenient as carrying in the summer.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here in Virginia, winters get cold enough to require a nice warm coat or jacket, but for me that's all I need. I have a leather aviator jacket, which is both warm, wind-blocking, and short enough that I can easily tuck it behind my holster as I put it on.

David.Car

imported post

DreQo wrote:
There are also some jackets made specifically for belt carry (usually marketed for law enforcement) that have a slot for the sidearm to pass through.
I like the sound of that... I already wear a lot of button up short sleeve shirts that have the indent on the sides that makes it easier to wear an untucked shirt with the belt holster.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is the very reason I've just signed up for the class to get my CC license, despite my distaste for needing to get a license for something that is (or ought to be) a right.

mdguy90

imported post

I wouldnt mind getting a CC, its easy to get one here in wyoming, but once again my age keeps me from doing that.

It looks like layers is going to be the best idea. I may look into a thigh holster also.

nova

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Here in Virginia, winters get cold enough to require a nice warm coat or jacket, but for me that's all I need. I have a leather aviator jacket, which is both warm, wind-blocking, and short enough that I can easily tuck it behind my holster as I put it on.
Being in the same area I either wear a sweatshirt, or I wear a few layers underneath a light jacket that only comes down to just below the belt line. When it's THAT cold, I wear my wool coat that's longer (and usually that's when I pack my makarov in its leather flap holster and sling an AK over my shoulder :lol:j/k) These situations I will just CC when I get my permit to do so.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mdguy90 wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
mdguy90 wrote:
my age keeps me from doing that.
Don't worry, you'll grow out of that.

not soon enough im afraid, multiple years
You'll be surprised. I heard a song on the radio the other day "You're Gonna Miss This"but right now I'm too tired to think of the artist. Oh 'tis true, 'tis true.