Thread: Transporting in Virginia.

Post imported post

My family has rented a cabin on the New Riverfor vacation. I live in West Virginia and have a valid concealed carry permit. First. What is the legal manner to transport the weapon from home to the cabin in an automobile? Second, can I carry concealed at the cabin and on the propertyor would open carry be better for the law?

Post imported post

Virginia honors your WV permit if you want to conceal. You can open carry in your vehicle if you so choose, as well as on the property (assuming you're not staying at a school, courthouse or post office, of course).

Post imported post

Then I can assume that I can transport the weapon in the glovebox or center consol, concealed? Thanks for the reply.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Open carry is also forbidden in Virginia state parks. Take a look at the Virginia State Police website for a good summary of the VA firearm laws. I haven't looked lately but www.nra-ila.org also typically has good summaries of firearm laws for each state.

Post imported post

Virginia state parks website doesn't say OC is prohibited...it says that you have to have a CHP to have a gun period...

But it isn'ta surprise that the state's websites aren't consistent...:?

at the bottom of this page:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

Post imported post

The actual State Park Regulations are in the Virginia Administrative Code. Here's the link and the textto the carrying of firearms in the State Parks as stated in the code. Looks to me like they need to be concealed in the State Parks.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...g+4VAC5-30-200

4VAC5-30-200. Firearms.

No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

Statutory Authority

§10.1-104 of the Code of Virginia.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Centurion

Post imported post

James wrote:
    Then I can assume that I can transport the weapon in the glovebox or center consol, concealed? Thanks for the reply.
    Absolutely! Concealed how you please with that WV CHP. You can CC most places, except K-12 schools, courthouses, private property where so marked, airport terminals of major airports.

One weird VA thing: in a restaurant that serves alcohol for on premise consumption, you cannot CC, but may legally OC, which is what a lot of us do. No big deal in VA.